Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: CDNN LE trade in M&P 15

Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    Here's my first hand experience. PSA parts will either be good, or horrible. Their QC is all over the place, nowhere near the level of consistency I look for.

Out of all the PSA stuff I bought trying to save money and have a "just as good" rifle, the only thing that remains is one lower and one upper, and they're not paired up because both are out of spec enough to not work with each other. The PSA lower is paired up with a BCM upper and barrel, and the PSA upper is on an Aero Precision lower.

If you're looking for a range toy, the PSA will probably serve you well. If you're looking for an AR pattern rifle to stake your life on, 6920 or bust.
    Very interesting, thanks for the reply!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Here's my first hand experience. PSA parts will either be good, or horrible. Their QC is all over the place, nowhere near the level of consistency I look for.

Out of all the PSA stuff I bought trying to save money and have a "just as good" rifle, the only thing that remains is one lower and one upper, and they're not paired up because both are out of spec enough to not work with each other. The PSA lower is paired up with a BCM upper and barrel, and the PSA upper is on an Aero Precision lower.

If you're looking for a range toy, the PSA will probably serve you well. If you're looking for an AR pattern rifle to stake your life on, 6920 or bust.
    How long ago was that?

Quote Originally Posted by leathermaneod View Post
    How long ago was that?

2012-2014.

2012-2014.
    Gotcha, I’m wondering if things have improved in recent years.

Site Supporter
    Gotcha, I’m wondering if things have improved in recent years.

It won't because PSA's business model is based in large part on the seconds, scraps and over runs of others. It a crap shoot each time. Their assembly is also a roll of the dice each time.

Another thing to be aware of is PSA's QC level is not monolithic. Their higher end PSA and PSA Premium lines are not all bad but you are taking a chance vs the PTAC and Freedom lines which are gun show junk grade.

For a range toy - why not? For a serious use or duty rifle, No.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    I've had good luck with M&P rifle. Other than having to send it back to S&W for a poorly milled lower (which they replaced) and needing to replace a gas ring at about 2000 rounds, it's been a real good rifle taking me though Paul Howe's carbine class and a whole bunch of shooting. It was an early model from when Smith was just getting their tooling set up which probably explains the receiver issue. Also picked up a newer one with the Thompson 1:8 barrel for my son and it looks to be even nicer. I'd say you guys got a steal!
    Last edited by Suvorov; 04-26-2018 at 01:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    It won't because PSA's business model is based in large part on the seconds, scraps and over runs of others. It a crap shoot each time. Their assembly is also a roll of the dice each time.

Another thing to be aware of is PSA's QC level is not monolithic. Their higher end PSA and PSA Premium lines are not all bad but you are taking a chance vs the PTAC and Freedom lines which are gun show junk grade.

For a range toy - why not? For a serious use or duty rifle, No.
    I certainly appreciate your input, but it definitely doesn’t match my experience, or that of my coworkers so far. It will certainly be interesting to see how these rifles hold up in the long run, but so far I’m very happy with mine and would recommend PSA to a friend for HD or casual use. That’s not to say I put them on the same level as others like Aero Precision, because I don’t have the experience to be that sure of them, but so far I’m very impressed, especially at the price point.

I certainly appreciate your input, but it definitely doesn’t match my experience, or that of my coworkers so far. It will certainly be interesting to see how these rifles hold up in the long run, but so far I’m very happy with mine and would recommend PSA to a friend for HD or casual use. That’s not to say I put them on the same level as others like Aero Precision, because I don’t have the experience to be that sure of them, but so far I’m very impressed, especially at the price point.

What exactly is your experience and your coworkers that differs from years of known issues with PSA? @HCM ain't talking out of his ass here.
    Last edited by Casual Friday; 04-26-2018 at 08:07 PM.

CDNN LE trade in M&P 15

What exactly is your experience and your coworkers that differs from years of known issues with PSA? @HCM ain't talking out of his ass here.
    My intent was not to accuse anyone of talking out their rear. I was merely suggesting that things at PSA may have changed for the better based on my recent experience and that of my coworkers. Mine and my coworkers experiences have been nothing but good so far. I was apprehensive about buying before I talked to them, but they put my mind at ease and, at least at this point, I’m glad I listened to them. Maybe that will change in the future, but at this point I’m a happy customer. Keep in mind I am not of the hardcore operator mindset that some here are. I am also not a police officer who will use this rifle on duty. If I were my opinions might be different, though I hear colt has their share of issues too :-)

Last edited by leathermaneod; 04-26-2018 at 08:34 PM.

My intent was not to accuse anyone of talking out their rear. I was merely suggesting that things at PSA may have changed for the better based on my recent experience and that of my coworkers. Mine and my coworkers experiences have been nothing but good so far. I was apprehensive about buying before I talked to them, but they put my mind at ease and, at least at this point, I’m glad I listened to them. Maybe that will change in the future, but at this point I’m a happy customer. Keep in mind I am not of the hardcore operator mindset that some here are. I am also not a police officer who will use this rifle on duty. If I were my opinions might be different, though I here colt has their share of issues too :-)

Their business model hasn't changed.

User Tag List