Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Giving strong-side IWB a fair shake

Site Supporter

Giving strong-side IWB a fair shake

Hi all,

When I first started carrying a gun (Glock 19) back in 2004, I tried the traditional string-side IWB position using the typical locations - 3:00, 3:30 and 4:00. This was a Sidearmor IWB holster. I very quickly learned that due to my body type, that just wasn't going to work. I immediately discovered AIWB back then and never looked back. I started out with a Dale Fricke Arch Angel and now use a JMCK AIWB 2.5 w/ wing claw and wide-spaced loops, which is by far the best holster I've ever used.

I'm 6'2", 190lbs, in good shape for a 44yo. I have long limbs, a relatively high waist, and I'd say hips that are a bit wider than the average male simply due to bone structure. This made strong-side IWB carry difficult for a few reasons. The holster and gun stuck way out due to my wider hips and not having that typical "pocket" at 4:00 most men say fits a gun so nicely. Also, my long arms and high waist made the draw motion contain that much more movement, and it was slow. AIWB solved all of those problems, plus was incredibly comfortable in all body positions (standing, seated, etc).

But... I'm motivated to give IWB a try again, for a few reasons. Basically, it's a striker-fired gun and at my age safety is becoming a priority. This time I'd like to try IWB a bit further forward, perhaps around 2:30 or so, to see if that could aid in concealment and comfort and retain the gun's more forward position on my body for ease of access on the draw. Comfort-wise, I'd think the holster would need to naturally point the muzzle slightly back when I sit down to avoid it digging into my thigh, but then return it to a straight-drop when standing.

I'd like to ask for your feedback on this plan, and perhaps suggest a particular holster (make, model, specs) that may work for me, given my body type. I actually tried my JMCK AIWB 2.5 w/ wing claw today, and it's "ok" but not great. Perhaps some sort of JMCK IWB V3 would be more appropriate, with a straight-drop or 5 degree cant and wide-spaced loops. If I can't find anything that works I won't be too heart-broken, but I'd like to give it a fair shot.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Chris
    Last edited by Chris17404; 12-15-2017 at 04:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris17404 View Post
    Hi all,

When I first started carrying a gun (Glock 19) back in 2004, I tried the traditional string-side IWB position using the typical locations - 3:00, 3:30 and 4:00. This was a Sidearmor IWB holster. I very quickly learned that due to my body type, that just wasn't going to work. I immediately discovered AIWB back then and never looked back. I started out with a Dale Fricke Arch Angel and now use a JMCK AIWB 2.5 w/ wing claw and wide-spaced loops, which is by far the best holster I've ever used.

I'm 6'2", 190lbs, in good shape for a 44yo. I have long limbs, a relatively high waist, and I'd say hips that are a bit wider than the average male simply due to bone structure. This made strong-side IWB carry difficult for a few reasons. The holster and gun stuck way out due to my wider hips and not having that typical "pocket" at 4:00 most men say fits a gun so nicely. Also, my long arms and high waist made the draw motion contain that much more movement, and it was slow. AIWB solved all of those problems, plus was incredibly comfortable in all body positions (standing, seated, etc).

But... I'm motivated to give IWB a try again, for a few reasons. Basically, it's a striker-fired gun and at my age safety is becoming a priority. This time I'd like to try IWB a bit further forward, perhaps around 2:30 or so, to see if that could aid in concealment and comfort and retain the gun's more forward position on my body for ease of access on the draw.

I'd like to ask for your feedback on this plan, and perhaps suggest a particular holster (make, model, specs) that may work for me, given my body type. I actually tried my JMCK AIWB 2.5 w/ wing claw today, and it's "ok" but not great. Perhaps some sort of JMCK IWB V3 would be more appropriate, with a 0 or 5 degree cant and wide-spaced loops. If I can't find anything that works I won't be too heart-broken, but I'd like to give it a fair shot.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Chris
    Chris, out of curiosity do you have a Gadget on your Glock? If not, that might be all you need to keep the comfort and better ergos of AIWB rather than IWB.

(BTW, I can't get comfortable with standard IWB for similar reasons despite being in good shape. Long limbs, short torso, bone structure. AIWB has been my preferred carry since the 80's.)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Chris, out of curiosity do you have a Gadget on your Glock? If not, that might be all you need to keep the comfort and better ergos of AIWB rather than IWB.

(BTW, I can't get comfortable with standard IWB for similar reasons despite being in good shape. Long limbs, short torso, bone structure. AIWB has been my preferred carry since the 80's.)
    No, I do not have a Gadget on my Glock (yet). I do plan on getting one very soon. Again, safety (no matter what holster location I use). Thanks for the suggestion.

Chris, why are you wanting to abandon AIWB? When I first started carrying concealed, I pretty quickly settled on 3:00 IWB. First with a hybrid, then with a Raven Eidolon - even though it's promoted as an AIWB holster. The 3:00 position definitely creates a wide profile and takes up a good amount of space inside the waistband. I made the transition to AIWB with the Eidolon and added a PHLster Classic to the stable for AIWB. The only time I carry strong-side any more is if I am wearing a suit and can't conceal at the appendix position. But even then I use an OWB Bavo BCA - bit will probably get a Raven Perun for when I need to OWB conceal. So in summary, I either carry AIWB or 3:00 OWB concealed. I don't open carry except at the range.

BTW, I have Gadgets on both Glocks (17 and 26). Makes holstering safer.
    Last edited by Larry T; 12-15-2017 at 06:19 PM.

Site Supporter
    For what it is worth, the position I have found that works best is 3:30, with about 10-15 degrees of grip-forward cant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

I carry strong side IWB more than anything because I conceal the best that way. Comfort has always been a problem.

The BEST holsters I've tried to date, and I've tried most all of 'em, are a JM #3 25 degree cant, split hard loops, and a Milt Sparks Nexus. They have a lot of cant which makes all the difference to me.

That's all I can offer. You may have to spend the same thousands of dollars and years of wait time I did to try all the other holsters.

http://www.mcssl.com/store/a9856d0de...2299068100eb51

I’ve been wearing a TT Gunleather Convertable Pancake for a few months and really like it. Same comfort as a VM2 style holster but it conceals the VP9 much better. Never worn it OWB and don’t intend to.
    Last edited by Rodney Ledbetter; 12-16-2017 at 12:11 PM.

Going back and trying strong side just made me realize how much I love appendix carry... I need to stop messing with what works.

My hip and lower back still hate me! Ended up going back to my favorite holster with a wedge, the JM “George.”

Whereas for many years I was able to satisfy my OWB holster needs for a new gun by simply ordering the corresponding RCS Phantom, I find IWB holsters very gun/holster combination specific. I've found the 1911 paired with the Milt Sparks VM2 an outstanding combination (thanks @Gio for that recommendation). The flat design of the 1911 makes for a simply great IWB gun. The wider footprint of the VM2 is much more comfortable and stable for me with heavier pistols; I found that the 1911 and Beretta Brigadier Tactical in Summer Special style kydex IWB holsters move around far too much.

Conversely, I have a bespoke JMCK IWB3 with adjustability for ride height and cant, which has been my favorite G17/G19 IWB solution.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

I was never able to wear IWB where any part of the holster overlapped the point of my hip. It had to be behind the point of the hip, about 0330-ish and farther back, or totally forward of the point of the hip, at AIWB.

Cant aided in concealability, but could jam the rear of the slide, and/or the grip frame, into my ribs, so the amount of cant had to be moderate, especially on the right side. My left side was able to tolerate more cant, because, well, my spine is not totally straight, so I lean a bit to the right.

The behind-the-hip position is my best position for concealment of large flat guns, because I am relatively slim, but have somewhat wide shoulders, to create a degree of drape in the fabric of the cover garment. My pelvis is relatively wide, which works against concealment, but my shoulders are wide enough to compensate.

My aging shoulders make the draw from behind-the-hip IWB increasingly difficult, especially with larger pistols, which is why most of the above was typed in past tense. I have gravitated toward vertical-draw OWB, a bit forward of 0300, for large pistols. This is not as concealable, but such is life.

Pistols I have IWB’ed, behind the hip: 4” N-Frame S&W, 4.25” and 5” 1911, P220, 4” GP100, SP101, P229, in chronological order, since 1984/1985. I may revert to regular IWB carry of the SP101, because it is short, and so clears leather sooner.

My most-used IWB holster for an auto-pistol has been the Davis Security, for the 1911, which was better than the Summer Special of its day, in having dual belt loops. (The Summer Special added dual loops, later.) I still have this one, but the FCS of my two remaining 1911 pistols are incompatible with a cowhide holster.

My current favorite behind-the-hip IWB holster is the Sparks VM II. I have used these, in sizes to fit the 1911 and SP101. The one for the 1911 is horsehide, which the FCS do not grab. Because of my gimpy right shoulder, it is better if the 1911 behind my hip is the “secondary” weapon. (The SP101, at AIWB, in a JMCK George, can be “primary,” at such times. )

User Tag List