Thread: Feedback on hunting rifle scope

Site Supporter

Feedback on hunting rifle scope

I just bought a Kimber Montana 280AI - goal is a general purpose hunting rifle. Specifically, Whitetail in Georgia plus Mule Deer and Antelope in Wyoming and other Western states. Bucket list goal is a trip to Africa to hunt plains animals - none of the large, dangerous animals. Assuming max engagement will be 400 yards and most realistically 100 yards to 300 yards.

Looking for rifle scope feedback - I tend toward "cheaper" scopes. Currently looking at Leupold VX2 4-12x40 CDS ($300 or less), Leupold VX3i 3.x10-40 (less than $400), Leupold VX3i 4.5-14x40 ($400+), Vortex Razor HD LH 3-15x42 ($600 or so), or a USED Leupold Vx6 2-12x42 CDS ($600 plus used).

For general hunting, is VX2 "good enough" or is the VX3i "worth $100+ more" or is the VX6 (used) "worth twice as much as VX2"? Are there other scopes in the less than $800 range I should consider? I have no problems buying used.

My go-to hunting scope for years has been the Leupold VX3 (or III) 2.5-8x32. Among the lightest, shortest scopes in that price range with the durability and optical quality that scope offers, and the added benefit of Leupold custom shop ballistic reticles based on your ballistic data for a modest price. In Africa, I was very glad to have a 300WM with a VX6 2-12X for a 400 yard shot on a mountain zebra.

Site Supporter
    Picked up a NIB Leupold VX6 2-12x42 from a local seller. Thanks

User Tag List