Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Nightforce 1-8 discussion

Supporting Business CS Tactical's Avatar
    Part 2: https://forum.snipershide.com/thread...4#post-6928790

"00bullitt"Thanks for the welcome back. I believe heavily in factory representatives participating on forums to support their product, but sometimes given certain personalities that participate on here, the decision to continue doing so from a corporate perspective is difficult. I'm a shooter and enthusiast like others on here; have been for a loooong time. I enjoy the interaction and know our products as well as competing products very well as its my job to do so. I will offer as much value on here as I can as time permits, but please understand, I cannot and will not engage in argument or be placed in a defensive situation which could place the brand at risk. As mentioned, sometimes there are things that are better left undiscussed on a public forum. If you send me a PM, I will do my best to respond, but I can not make any promises as it is not a form of communication that I embrace as much as I do my email.

The eyebox on the NX8 is not near as forgiving as others. It works well for its size. Its size is a tradeoff to performance. Your performance expectations are very subjective and I expect them to differ. If you evaluate one not mounted to a rifle, you can easily get outside of the eyebox window and it will appear to be much tighter than it is. It is very comparable to the tradeoffs associated with the 2.5-10x24 on higher mag levels. I find the performance of the NX8 on 8x to be acceptable, but certainly prefer the ATACR. The two are a night and day comparison.

I have used the NX8 extensively on various 5.56 carbines and other calibers in the same platform and even have one on a DD5 at the moment. On 8x, you do come out of the eyebox briefly with 7.62 recoil, but its not hard to reacquire quickly. I have never experienced that issue on 5.56 carbines or with the ATACR.

The ATACR is a whole different animal. It was designed to perform. Optical quality and eyebox are superb. If you like the eyebox on the Vortex Razor, you will like the ATACR assuming you can sacrifice the FOV at 100 yards. If you like the illumination brightness of the Vortex, you will not be disappointed with either of our 1-8's; they are beyond bright enough and often require 1-2 settings below max.

As for the flashing reticle, again....when its not mounted to the rifle, it is apparent on higher mag levels. I do not get any intermittent illum issues from 1-4x. As the surface area of the illuminated portion of the reticle increases with magnification, you can induce extreme head position to get the fade of illumination, but not near to the level of competing products. The reflectivity of the reticle feature has its own FOV (or eyebox per se) to the eyeball based on the method used to illuminate the reticle to the required intensities for daylight visibility. It is the nature of the design to some extent. We go to great lengths to minimize it.

The ATACR does not tunnel at high or low magnification.
    Last edited by CS Tactical; 02-27-2018 at 01:59 PM.
    CS Tactical
    For the best pricing on Optics please PM or call 916.670.1103
    Dealer for Zero Compromise, Tangent Theta, Leupold,
    Nightforce, MDT, Vortex, XLR Industries and more...
    www.cstactical.com

Quote Originally Posted by jellydonut View Post
    It's an interesting post, but I'm still missing the argument or reasoning for FFP vs SFP in a low-power variable optic. When SFP gives you an inherent FOV advantage I can't see the good argument for FFP.

You're not going to be ranging with your mil dots at anything but full power with these low-power optics in any case, so what's the purpose?

Different scopes for different purposes, these were mainly developed for a .mil application and supposedly wanted both a SFP and FFP option. With the Nightforce NX8 (unmounted on a rifle) I preferred using it about 6x over 8x and with FFP you'd be able to range it easily at any magnification opposed to just at maximum.
    CS Tactical
    www.cstactical.com

I decided to take the plunge on the NX8...and I'm moving it on. This was my first dip into the LPV waters, and I found the eye box too tight for my liking. I think that my natural head positioning (the Army inflicted nose to charging handle on me a long time ago) is a contributing factor, but I'm not so enamored with the optic to start messing around with different height mounts and trying to contort myself to the optic. The NX8 is certainly a quality scope, but I need something more forgiving at 1X.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

The ATACR 1-8 F1 is a whole 'nother level... Huge eyebox at 1x and better than the NX8 and 8x, as close as true 1x as you'll find, very usable reticle for distance.
    CS Tactical
    www.cstactical.com

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    I decided to take the plunge on the NX8...and I'm moving it on. This was my first dip into the LPV waters, and I found the eye box too tight for my liking. I think that my natural head positioning (the Army inflicted nose to charging handle on me a long time ago) is a contributing factor, but I'm not so enamored with the optic to start messing around with different height mounts and trying to contort myself to the optic. The NX8 is certainly a quality scope, but I need something more forgiving at 1X.
    Give the new Gen 2 1-6 Vortex Razor HD a look. It’s my next 1-6 scope.
    Shoot more, post less...

Quote Originally Posted by MSparks909 View Post
    Mine too, the ATACR is too rich for my blood
    CS Tactical
    www.cstactical.com

Quote Originally Posted by MSparks909 View Post
    I'm kinda wishing I tried the Vortex. In any case, I'll need to sell this NX8 before I try another LPV!
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Quote Originally Posted by CS Tactical View Post
    The eyebox is a tad tight, but I'd run it like an Aimpoint at 1X and I did not get a chance to mount it to a rifle to try it at 8x as they sold out quick. IMO it's great for a 14.5" barreled gun and under, above that I'd rather go with the Vortex Razor HD-E 1-6, Kahles, Swaro or Minox. The ATACR will probably be added to the top of that list but until I have it in hand it's to be continued...
    Do you mind sharing a little more detail why you'd choose the Razor HD-E 1-6 over the NX8? I have a new build I'm about to finish with a 16" Centurion Recce barrel and had the optic narrowed down to these two options. I don't have many places nearby to shoot long distance so up close is still most important to me, but I'd like to have the ability to stretch this one out a bit more than I can with my Steiner 1-4.

The ATACR is out of my price range. The NX8 is actually a little over what I wanted to spend but I was thinking the extra mag might be worth it, but if people are liking the Razor better I may just stick with that.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    Last edited by dontshakepandas; 04-26-2018 at 08:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    PM sent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by dontshakepandas View Post
    Do you mind sharing a little more detail why you'd choose the Razor HD-E 1-6 over the NX8? I have a new build I'm about to finish with a 16" Centurion Recce barrel and had the optic narrowed down to these two options. I don't have many places nearby to shoot long distance so up close is still most important to me, but I'd like to have the ability to stretch this one out a bit more than I can with my Steiner 1-4.

The ATACR is out of my price range. The NX8 is actually a little over what I wanted to spend but I was thinking the extra mag might be worth it, but if people are liking the Razor better I may just stick with that.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    I have some time behind the NF 1-8. I’m a NF fanboy, have 3 ATACR’s (5x25 & 7x35)in the safe right now.

But-

Go with the Vortex HD 1-6

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Tag List