Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Nightforce 1-8 discussion

Nightforce 1-8 discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Sigfan26 View Post
    I ADM Recon and the LaRue LT104.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    FYI, there’s a very compelling argument against using vertically-split rings for precision work because of the uneven forces they out on scope bodies. May or not apply depending on use.

I’ve used both, and had good luck with both. Nice mounts. Never the less, it’s Nightforce unimounts for me these days.

Last edited by Crews; 01-15-2018 at 09:18 AM.

Supporting Business CS Tactical's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Crews View Post
    FYI, there’s a very compelling argument against using vertically-split rings for precision work because of the uneven forces they out on scope bodies. May or not apply depending on use.

I’ve used both, and had good luck with both. Nice mounts. Never the less, it’s Nightforce unimounts for me these days.

True, but I wouldn't consider LPV's on an AR precision work
    CS Tactical
    For the best pricing on Optics please PM or call 916.670.1103
    Dealer for Zero Compromise, Tangent Theta, Leupold,
    Nightforce, MDT, Vortex, XLR Industries and more...
    www.cstactical.com

Quote Originally Posted by CS Tactical View Post
    True, but I wouldn't consider LPV's on an AR precision work
    I guess I just assumed if they’re putting enough torque on scope bodies to affect the accuracy of the dials, it’s not good for your scope wether you use them or not. I could be misguided though!

Quote Originally Posted by Crews View Post
    I guess I just assumed if they’re putting enough torque on scope bodies to affect the accuracy of the dials, it’s not good for your scope wether you use them or not. I could be misguided though!

Incorrect mounting and torque specifications can and do cause issues often.
    CS Tactical
    www.cstactical.com

A bit of a thread tangent - I have a Leupold Mk8 1-8 CQBSS that I purchased for my SCAR 17S. I'm wondering if I'd be better off with the Nightforce ATACR 1-8. Optic and rifle is used mostly for recreational rock shooting here in Boise, ID. Might hunt coyotes and backpack with it (not likely, but possible).

Thoughts?
    "Well you know, it's a toolbox. You put the tools in for the job." Sam

Quote Originally Posted by Jay585 View Post
    A bit of a thread tangent - I have a Leupold Mk8 1-8 CQBSS that I purchased for my SCAR 17S. I'm wondering if I'd be better off with the Nightforce ATACR 1-8. Optic and rifle is used mostly for recreational rock shooting here in Boise, ID. Might hunt coyotes and backpack with it (not likely, but possible).

Thoughts?
    Hard to say that it will be better though I believe it will be, Mike had the MK8 1-8 before it was officially released and prefers many 1-8's that came after it. The MK8 wasn't as close to a true 1X as many other scopes out, it didn't have daytime illumination and he did not like the turrets, on that alone I'd expect the Nightforce to blow it out of the water.
    CS Tactical
    www.cstactical.com

SHOT show peeps who have seen the NX8, what’s up? Give up some details!!!
    Last edited by NickDrak; 01-26-2018 at 11:35 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDrak View Post
    SHOT show peeps who have seen the NX8, what’s up? Give up some details!!!
    Size, glass, and illumination brightness all were great, but the eye box was very small and it suffers (to a lesser extent) the same illumination flicker with head position as the MK6. I didn't notice the illumination problem on 1x, but it was definitely noticeable on higher magnification. It also had a little bit of illumination bleed when the brightness was cranked up.

The ATACR was better in pretty much every way. The eye box was much more generous.

Quote Originally Posted by joshs View Post
    Size, glass, and illumination brightness all were great, but the eye box was very small and it suffers (to a lesser extent) the same illumination flicker with head position as the MK6. I didn't notice the illumination problem on 1x, but it was definitely noticeable on higher magnification. It also had a little bit of illumination bleed when the brightness was cranked up.

The ATACR was better in pretty much every way. The eye box was much more generous.
    Do you have any experience with a Trij 1-8 to compare? And how did it feel as far as robustness? Do you think the NX8 is built well from your experience with it? I'm hoping 17oz didn't come at the cost of some knock around reliability.

I've got a pair of dedicated suppressed LWRC builds I'm doing for my wife and I when I get back from deployment. The NX8 might do well for us there, I've decided to put the trij on the MR556 for now since it's in stock at my local gun shop and the wait for the NX8 will be long.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by navyman8903 View Post
    Do you have any experience with a Trij 1-8 to compare? And how did it feel as far as robustness? Do you think the NX8 is built well from your experience with it? I'm hoping 17oz didn't come at the cost of some knock around reliability.

I've got a pair of dedicated suppressed LWRC builds I'm doing for my wife and I when I get back from deployment. The NX8 might do well for us there, I've decided to put the trij on the MR556 for now since it's in stock at my local gun shop and the wait for the NX8 will be long.
    I'm not a fan of the Trijicon reticle, so I haven't spent much time looking at it.

I can't really comment on the NX8's durability since I just handled it on the show floor, but it seemed well built like the rest of the NXS line. I doubt NF would put out a scope with durability issues.

User Tag List