Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Nightforce 1-8 discussion

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    The people who do the literature and web content rarely have anything to do with the products being manufactured, at least in any company I've ever dealt with either in this industry or any other.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

Site Supporter
    I doubt this will end up on a 5.56 gun for me . . . but I've got a 16" 308 gas gun project in the pipeline that this will be perfect for. I'm curious to lay hands on the both of them. I'm impressed that Nightforce got a 1-8 down to 17 ounces. That's impressive . . . moreso if it doesn't sacrifice quality/longevity.

Quote Originally Posted by misanthropist View Post
    The people who do the literature and web content rarely have anything to do with the products being manufactured, at least in any company I've ever dealt with either in this industry or any other.
    Yup. A lot of it is farmed out to third parties (i.e. - HK backwards bullets) and people who really aren't gun folk.

I think a 1-8 NXS is in my future. I’ve got a 2.5-10x42 NXS on my DD5V1. Will probably move that scope to one of my bolt guns.
    Shoot more, post less...

This is true, and Nightforce scopes are top notch.

But a 5 min reading of their web page from a knowledgeable person could spot plenty of mistakes... should be easy to solve.

Very much this.

Quote Originally Posted by TiroFijo View Post
    But a 5 min reading of their web page from a knowledgeable person could spot plenty of mistakes... should be easy to solve.
    It is very easy to solve but the person typing shit down gets paid anyway, right or wrong, and they just don't give a fuck. The people who know are doing things more important like making scopes, not arranging pamphlets.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

The larger the company, the more this appears to be true, unfortunately.

I understand that not every single person in a company can have some type of applicable and/or first hand knowledge to their product(s) but sometimes its really off putting.

Regardless of that, I'll buy an NX8 as I know NF quality is pretty good, and if it doesn't work out I'll default to the vortex Razor HD II...
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Good for Fenix Mike, but the 34 mm tube has nothing to do with low light performance... basic physics.
    A larger tube diameter allows the use of larger diameter lenses in the erector set. If larger diameter lenses are used in the erector set, more light will be passed through the scope. If more light is pass through the scope, the scope will have better low light performance.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    A larger tube diameter allows the use of larger diameter lenses in the erector set. If larger diameter lenses are used in the erector set, more light will be passed through the scope. If more light is pass through the scope, the scope will have better low light performance.
    NO...

The optical train elements in a scope with a bigger tube are not always bigger, the extra space is often used for other things: more room for elevation/windage adjustment, more forgiving for the complicated optical path, more rugged internal parts, double erector in a 1-8x zoom scope, etc.

Even if the lenses themselves are larger (most probaly they are not, at least all of them), the light transmition increase would be inconsecuential and not detected by the human eye. The key feature would be the glass + coatings quality and not the internal lenses diameter.
    Last edited by TiroFijo; 12-20-2017 at 09:24 AM.

The optical train elements in a scope with a bigger tube are not always bigger, the extra space is often used for other things: more room for elevation/windage adjustment, more forgiving for the complicated optical path, more rugged internal parts, double erector in a 1-8x zoom scope, etc.

Even if the lenses themselves are larger (most probaly they are not, at least all of them), the light transmition increase would be inconsecuential and not detected by the human eye. The key feature would be the glass + coatings quality and not the internal lenses diameter.
    Do you have any formal research or documentation to cite? Not calling you out for the info, as I agree with most of it, just would like to be able to reference a document or research of some kind.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

User Tag List