Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Nightforce 1-8 discussion

Quote Originally Posted by CS Tactical View Post
    Your quote was how I described the Vortex to the Nightforce in Summary I'd give the potential edge is durability to the Nightforce ATACR and the grid reticle is potentially better at distance. Both the Razor and ATACR have great glass, good illumination, are durable and two of the best LPV's out right now. 6x and under I'm fine with SFP while 6x and above I'd prefer FFP (if done right).
    I was afraid it might have seemed silly.

In particular I was curious to hear how close the two are in eyebox/relief, glass quality, 1x trueness and distortion, etc.

Supporting Business CS Tactical's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dove View Post
    I was afraid it might have seemed silly.

In particular I was curious to hear how close the two are in eyebox/relief, glass quality, 1x trueness and distortion, etc.
    They are close enough overall that they're near the top of their class, I didn't try them side by side here in the shop as I thought it would be splitting hairs at that point.
    CS Tactical
    For the best pricing on Optics please PM or call 916.670.1103
    Dealer for Zero Compromise, Tangent Theta, Leupold,
    Nightforce, MDT, Vortex, XLR Industries and more...
    www.cstactical.com

So after giving it some time and deciding to go with a Trij accupower 1-8 on my rifle.....I feel like I made the better decision. I heard whispers of the tight eyebox before, but what I'm hearing now is a much worse assessment. I might have to stick with the Trij setup. It's the same weight as the Vortex with 8 power, and nicer turrets/illumination control IMO.

I know the Trij gets a bad shake from people, but owners seem to like it. I wonder where this puts the Trij 1-8 now. Looks like the only NF optics I'm going to be running in the future will be ATACR's, and of the 4-16x42 variety.

Quote Originally Posted by navyman8903 View Post
    So after giving it some time and deciding to go with a Trij accupower 1-8 on my rifle.....I feel like I made the better decision. I heard whispers of the tight eyebox before, but what I'm hearing now is a much worse assessment. I might have to stick with the Trij setup. It's the same weight as the Vortex with 8 power, and nicer turrets/illumination control IMO.

I know the Trij gets a bad shake from people, but owners seem to like it. I wonder where this puts the Trij 1-8 now. Looks like the only NF optics I'm going to be running in the future will be ATACR's, and of the 4-16x42 variety.
    I'd love to actually run an NX8 and see how bad it is.

I love my NXS 2.5-10x32, and the compact NXS scopes in general. I hope NF still sells a sub 20oz ~10x optic in the future. Maybe a 2-12x32?

Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    I'd love to actually run an NX8 and see how bad it is.

I love my NXS 2.5-10x32, and the compact NXS scopes in general. I hope NF still sells a sub 20oz ~10x optic in the future. Maybe a 2-12x32?
    My project gun it was supposed to go on was a suppressed 16" LWRC with a light and DBAL. So I needed something on the lighter end of the spectrum, but I also have to be able to fight with it. So having a tight eye box isn't really an option. I had a lot of hopes for the NX8 but even my wife who's a NF fanatic, for her it's aimpoint dots or Nightforce. Nothing else, even she didn't like it. Which is saying something because she was stressing me buying the Trijicon, but she actually likes the trijicon better than the NX8. A lot of people we know run the Trij and they like it a lot. It's heavy, but it literally weighs what the ATACR version 1-8 weighs for less than half the price. I might have to deal with the extra 8oz.

I had a chance to try the NX8, Razor HD-E, and Accupower 1-8 today at the NRA show and I think I'll be purchasing the NX8.

While the Vortex eyebox was a little more forgiving throughout the entire magnification range, I didn't have any issues with the NX8 at 1x and 8x seemed fine too.

The illumination of the Trijicon isn't even in the same league as the other two. The Nightforce also has a significant advantage in weight and size. I also really preferred the Nightforce reticle options.

I'm willing to give up the very tiny bit that I experienced on 1x for the other features since I already have other rifles (specifically the one with an Aimpoint Comp M5) that would be more of my go to options for anything up close.

Edit: My wife who has cross eye dominance issues and issues getting behind a scope in general also choose the NX8 out of the three options either. (I obviously made sure the Nightforce rep didn't tell her how much it cost).
    Last edited by dontshakepandas; 05-05-2018 at 06:18 PM.

Anybody have an NX8 with a Geissele mount? I just ordered my NX8 from CS Tactical and I'm not sure if I should go with the standard or extended mount for the NX8 on an AR15.

Quote Originally Posted by dontshakepandas View Post
    Anybody have an NX8 with a Geissele mount? I just ordered my NX8 from CS Tactical and I'm not sure if I should go with the standard or extended mount for the NX8 on an AR15.
    I'll answer my own question. It looks like the standard mount is the way to go.

I think I'm going to stick with Bobro just to stay consistent with my other mounts though.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

At the risk of this thread just turning into me talking to myself, Aaron Cowan posted his review of the NX8 earlier today. Looks like it is going to do everything that I want it to do.

Last edited by dontshakepandas; 05-22-2018 at 12:12 PM.

Reviewer of the Tools
    Cowan likes to talk, but damn does he do well though out reviews.

User Tag List