Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rifle Light / Mount on a budget

I got one of these as a fairly inexpensive option:

https://www.botach.com/streamlight-p...-package-deal/
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ragnar_d View Post
    The other one I'm looking at (and I think OP was talking about) was the ProTac Rail Mount 1 (Streamlight SKU 88058) that takes either (1) AA or (1) CR123.
    FWIW, I just finished using one of those on a deployment where resupply of CR123's was uncertain, and the AA option seemed like a good idea. The light held up fine through a fair amount of rough usage. It wasn't anywhere near as bright as I'd prefer, being that I was accustomed to 600-lumen Surefires, but it's likely good enough for typical home defense purposes. When I ran out of CR123's and had to run a AA, I found the output really sucked, so I'd recommend not using the "dual fuel" option if possible, except for training/range use. The included tape switch felt a little chintzy, although mine didn't cause any problems.

For civilian use, indoors, small rooms, in places you're already familiar with, I'd say the single cell ProTac is probably OK as a budget option. It certainly beats not having a WML. I'm not throwing mine away, and it may find its way onto my 1301T soon. But, I'd have difficulty recommending it for serious professional use, mainly because the light output just isn't up to current standards.

IMHO, the 2-cell model is probably a better choice, for the additional light output, especially for a home defense gun where a little extra weight doesn't matter so much.

ETA: Mine was the 320-lumen model, and is a little over a year old. I haven't kept up with current offerings, so if they've increased the light output, I'd be a lot more likely to recommend it.
    Last edited by Dave J; 12-15-2017 at 10:10 AM.

I've used the IWC SMCXL mounts on a MagPul MOE fore end with a Surefire scout and it works really well. Should also do nicely with the ProTac lights.

Another option for your MOE hand guard is to get a MagPul Cantilever rail. Look for the MOE and not the M-Lok version. It's a 1913 rail section that is cantilevered out about another inch. These mate well with the Inforce WMLx lights. I picked up a gen2 WMLx 800 lumen light on sale for $89.00 during Thanksgiving. For home defense, these are nice lights and I really like the switch position when using these lights on MOE hand guards.
    Last edited by Beat Trash; 12-15-2017 at 11:07 AM.

Site Supporter

Rifle Light / Mount on a budget

The front sight base mount from Midway or GGG is nice because it puts the light above the barrel, minimizing the shadow from the barrel. A Streamlight TLR1 (high intensity version, as a good, inexpensive light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BillSWPA; 12-15-2017 at 11:12 AM.
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Magpul scout mount streamlight protac 2.

A Magpul 3 or 5 slot polymer moe rail section attached to the factory ribbed handguard at 10:00-11:00 with a spare Surefire nitrolon in a weaver scope ring or inexpensive detachable polymer light mount for under $20 makes budget for me.

Somewhere I saw recently had a streamlight light with basic offset mount for about $50.
    Last edited by Malamute; 12-15-2017 at 01:50 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Which ProTac are you guys recommending?

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...amlight+protac
    This one. https://www.amazon.com/Streamlight-8...l-x+rail+mount

The original pro tac 1 & 2 had had some issues recently.

Site Supporter
    https://www.magpul.com/products/fire...-left-or-right

I have a 16" middy BCM with an original MOE forend. This is the mount I use with an m600 light, although the HL-x streamlight or any other pic rail or scout screw dimensions should work. I don't have a picture but I can snag one at home later if you want. With it being MOE not MLOK you can usually find the mount really cheap, or even snag a used one from the various exchanges buy/sell pages we are all members of.

Site Supporter
    Thanks all; I will weigh the options and go forward.

I really appreciate all of the input and support; it exceeded my expectations.

God Bless,

Brandon

Quote Originally Posted by ragnar_d View Post
    If you've got MOE handguards, I think the Protac and IWC setup is hard to beat.

These are my two setups. Ones is an IWC Thorntail Scout, the other is the MOE "Mount-N-Slot" "SMCXL" mount. Both guns have Protac HL-X lights in them. I've got about $135 into each setup:

I went with the HL-X because of the ability to take 18650 batteries an chuck 1000 lumens. Though, Surefire has stepped up there game and is bringing a 1500 lumen Scout that takes 18650s, so I'm looking forward to that.

If you go on to IWC's website, you can get a Surefire Scout M300 or M600 Ultra with SMC or SMCXL mount for $220. The Protac models are a little bigger, but I like the option to use AA batteries in the RM1 models. An SMC mount and RM1 would run you about $120 plus shipping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by nate89 View Post
    https://www.magpul.com/products/fire...-left-or-right

I have a 16" middy BCM with an original MOE forend. This is the mount I use with an m600 light, although the HL-x streamlight or any other pic rail or scout screw dimensions should work. I don't have a picture but I can snag one at home later if you want. With it being MOE not MLOK you can usually find the mount really cheap, or even snag a used one from the various exchanges buy/sell pages we are all members of.
    I'm currently using the HLx with the Magpul scout mount on my MOE handguards. I think that the IWC mount is a little more compact/elegant. On the scout mount, the tailcap stands a little taller and a little further back than a Surefire scout light does. I'm wanting a good way to mount the Streamlight tape switch to the MOE handguard.
    Last edited by Chuck Whitlock; 12-17-2017 at 11:19 AM.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

User Tag List