Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: “Take Me to the Range?”

Took my friend to the range today for live fire.

We started with a Shield in 9mm. Comments included ‘hard to rack’ and ‘uncomfortable to shoot’.

We switch up to a M&P Compact 2.0. She did well with this gun.

Her first round was the one in the left, not far from mine.

She then tried a Walther PPS M2. After a few rounds, she concluded it wasn’t actually all that comfortable.

So, we had fun and it was an enjoyable day. She shot 30 rounds or so over 2 hours of Sig 115 FMJ. For a first time out, I was happy she had 5/5 inside 6” at 10’ by the time we were wrapping up.

I showed her the bullet holes in the ceiling and said she did very very well.

Thanks all for all the valuable input. I appreciate all the comments.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    We started with a Shield in 9mm. Comments included ‘hard to rack’ and ‘uncomfortable to shoot’.
    She then tried a Walther PPS M2. After a few rounds, she concluded it wasn’t actually all that comfortable.
    Why do people insist on having women shoot little guns that virtually nobody likes shooting?

Almost every time I'm at my local range/store they're trying to explain that tiny guns are harder to shoot to some well meaning but ignorant boyfriend/husband/father/son/etc.

We switch up to a M&P Compact 2.0. She did well with this gun.
    Surprise, surprise.

“Take Me to the Range?”

Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    Why do people insist on having women shoot little guns that virtually nobody likes shooting?

Almost every time I'm at my local range/store they're trying to explain that tiny guns are harder to shoot to some well meaning but ignorant boyfriend/husband/father/son/etc.

Surprise, surprise.
    The participant selected the firearms based on a list of suggestions. This was subject to a variety of constraints (shooting range, rental selection, physical strength, Hand anthropometrics, specific budget and of course my limited knowledge, not being an instructor or professional, but donating my time so that this individual would have a positive experience) that I’ve neglected to detail, and which you are (of course) unaware of.
    Last edited by RJ; 01-11-2018 at 06:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post

Surprise, surprise.
    People can make their own choices. You may suggest to a new shooter who happens to be female that a G19 size, or larger size gun is going to be easier for them. That doesn't stop them from thinking small gun = easier for me.

Seems like very few rounds for that much time. I'm glad that she was learning, but I expected a higher round count. Perhaps with rental guns that can be pricey, I'm not sure. M&P 2.0 may be a good choice for her, hopefully she can get more time behind it.

-Cory

Quote Originally Posted by cor_man257 View Post
    People can make their own choices. You may suggest to a new shooter who happens to be female that a G19 size, or larger size gun is going to be easier for them. That doesn't stop them from thinking small gun = easier for me.

Seems like very few rounds for that much time. I'm glad that she was learning, but I expected a higher round count. Perhaps with rental guns that can be pricey, I'm not sure. M&P 2.0 may be a good choice for her, hopefully she can get more time behind it.

-Cory
    Yep. To expand on the range, Shooters World is a pretty big (80,000 ft sq?) superstore and certainly the biggest in Tampa.

So some of the time was browsing stuff before and after, walking back and forth to the rental counter, and a fair bit of allowing my friend to fiddle around.

We did discuss options as in, the smaller the gun the less enjoyable to shoot the more concealable, and the larger the gun the easier it is to shoot the less concealable.

I’ll add that it was not my preference to combine the ‘learn to shoot’ session with the ‘shoot a bunch of guns’ session.

In retrospect I should have more strongly suggested we go rent a .22 first and leave shooting the whole rental case another time, but it costs money to do that, frankly.

At the end if the day she seemed excited about returning to the range for another session; and for that I was genuinely please.

Yep. To expand on the range, Shooters World is a pretty big (80,000 ft sq?) superstore and certainly the biggest in Tampa.

So some of the time was browsing stuff before and after, walking back and forth to the rental counter, and a fair bit of allowing my friend to fiddle around.

We did discuss options as in, the smaller the gun the less enjoyable to shoot the more concealable, and the larger the gun the easier it is to shoot the less concealable.

I’ll add that it was not my preference to combine the ‘learn to shoot’ session with the ‘shoot a bunch of guns’ session.

In retrospect I should have more strongly suggested we go rent a .22 first and leave shooting the whole rental case another time, but it costs money to do that, frankly.

At the end if the day she seemed excited about returning to the range for another session; and for that I was genuinely please.
    I'm about an hour from shooters world but haven't been there yet. I look forward to checking it out.

-Cory

Disregard.
    Last edited by oldtexan; 02-08-2018 at 07:12 PM. Reason: My comments overcome by events

User Tag List