Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: “Take Me to the Range?”

I just graduated the Rangemaster Instructor Development class a couple months back. Excellent course for what it is, and at least half the class had no teaching aspirations beyond "Take Me to the Range" hosts. IMO, it's overkill for the "Take Me to The Range" purpose, certainly if your training resources are limited.

If you haven't already, browse Kathy's articles at Cornered Cat. She's worth a Facebook follow too.
    David S.

I've taken lots friends and other people (such as friend's kids) to the range for their first time. I've also taken people shooting sporting clays, including people who have never shot a shotgun before.

I prefer to have an orientation at my house first to go over safety and basic operation of a gun. I think it's a lot easier to do this at home rather than at the range wearing hearing protection with a lot of loud noises going off. And at home, it's just me and them, and they don't have to worry about making a mistake in front of other people at the range. At home, I explain the rules very seriously. I tell them I'm not trying to be a jerk but safety is the number one most important thing and absolutely will not be compromised. After that, everything we do is low key.

At the range, I shoot a few rounds (but not many) so that they can see the gun in operation and see me shoot. Then it's their turn. I let them handle the gun and dry fire a few times. This gives me a chance to watch them for safety (very important), and it gives them the chance to hold the gun and look down the sights at an actual target. As others have said, the first gun I usually let someone shoot is a 22LR pistol, and only one round loaded at first. If all goes well, then they can move on to a full magazine. Once they get tired of that, then we can move on to a 9mm or whatever.

I usually don't say anything about technique. I notice a lot of new shooters either tend to lean way back, or shoot with a side stance, and I might correct that. But otherwise I just let them shoot.

As I said, I keep it really low key. I don't want to be that gruff middle-aged curmudgeon pointing out their shortcomings, or Dr. TacticalTechnique trying to achieve ninja perfection on their first outing. Once I'm confident that they are being safe, I let them decide what to do or if they want to ask me questions. Over the years, I have accumulated a lot of knowledge in a couple of hobbies, and trying to dump that on a newcomer can be overwhelming. Even if they wind up liking shooting, they may just want to enjoy it without getting immersed in the technical nuances. I know almost every component on every one of my bicycles, but one of my friends that I ride with would not be able to tell me if her bike has Shimano or SRAM components - she just wants to ride her bike, and that's perfectly fine.

ETA:
    - One bit of technique I do teach is how to grip and hold the gun.

- When they are shooting, I often load the next magazine for them. It's a nice thing to do, it minimizes down time, and I can usually do it much faster than they can. However, I only do this after we've been shooting for a few minutes and I have confidence in their safety and I don't feel that I have to watch them super closely.
    Last edited by trailrunner; 12-16-2017 at 10:31 AM.

The above post nails it. If I have any doubts about the requestee’s fundamentals, we start with an at-home session on gun safety, operations, handling, dummy rounds, minimal dry fire, etc.

If they can’t be bothered to do this or take it seriously then going to the range is not going to happen.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    I’ll look into whether I can get my hands on a .22 rental as I don’t have one.
    Sounds like the perfect excuse then. Does anyone make a 22 upper for the Gen 5 yet?
    David S.

I second DavidS's suggestion on Cornered Cat. I think that's the single best resource for new shooters out there.

As far as instructing new shooters go, I like to go over safety and theory of operation away from the range, usually at home. At the range, I start with a 22, correcting any major issues with grip, stance, etc, starting the target wherever most others at the range have theirs set. I prefer to use non-people shaped targets without scoring zones. Move from 22 to whatever they want to shoot next (i bring a bunch), we leave whenever they want and go eat after. As long as they're being safe and enjoying themselves I'm satisfied, and if we are happy with their accuracy (always have been so far) so much the better
    "Customer is very particular" -- SIG Sauer

So I am going to the range Thursday morning with my friend.

I edited my read ahead notes and pruned out what I thought might be extra or overwhelming. This is now down to 3 pages. Mostly I would plan to use it as an aide memoire more for me than the student, but also as a document they can refer to later when they go to the range again.

Looking it over in printed form, I will edit it after this first session with this new shooter, and maybe try and get it down to two pages. I will also try and highlight the key points in bold for easy reference.

I also thought a bit about what target to use. I decided to start with a simple large circle. My feeling is that it is important to introduce the concept of an accuracy standard, to encourage accountability from the start. But I also think just getting rounds on paper is a great place to start. If I did this outside, I'd use an 8" round steel plate.

Since I hear "chest size, across the nipples" a lot for self defense accuracy, I added an 8" circle to represent this, then added an 0.38" sized aiming dot. There is a subtle 1" grid to allow for quick group size estimation, and at the bottom i put in the (arbitrary) 'training standard' I came up with, namely, 8 of 10 shots at 15 feet under ideal conditions.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by RJ; 01-09-2018 at 09:04 AM. Reason: can't spell my Friench anymore, geez

Looks like a great introduction regarding how to shoot and range safety. One thing I may have missed is a discussion of home and vehicle storage. Going over the laws for your jurisdiction on storage; the idea that if you have a youth in the home you absolutely trust -he or she may have friends that you shouldn't trust not to access your firearms; loose lips-sink-ships, theory about whether you own or carry firearms.

I really think you're on the right track!
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

“Take Me to the Range?”

Had the offline session yesterday, it went well. Took about three hours with about everything in the Read Ahead covered, plus Q&A.

It was pretty interesting to work with someone very unfamiliar with guns. Having the session at their place made things more relaxed.

Tomorrow’s plan at the range is to rent a few guns and give it a try.

I sent them a list of candidates including S&W Compact and Shield 2.0, Glock 19 and 26, and Sig P320c, but it will depend on what’s available.
    Last edited by RJ; 01-10-2018 at 09:08 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post

I sent them a list of candidates including S&W Compact and Shield 2.0, Glock 19 and 26, and Sig P320c, but it will depend on what’s available.
    I’d suggest nothing smaller than the Glock 19. Small guns can be more snappy and harder to get a good grip on. Not as much of a problem for experienced shooters, but will increase the probability of developing a flinch in a brand new shooter.
    If starting with a service-caliber round, do the new shooter a favor and start with a gun that has enough mass to help absorb some recoil.

Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    I’d suggest nothing smaller than the Glock 19. Small guns can be more snappy and harder to get a good grip on. Not as much of a problem for experienced shooters, but will increase the probability of developing a flinch in a brand new shooter.
    If starting with a service-caliber round, do the new shooter a favor and start with a gun that has enough mass to help absorb some recoil.
    Thanks. Yeah, this is obviously an adult who I can suggest some things but ultimately will make their own decision.

Based on stature and anthropometrics, I’ve suggested they start with a Shield 2.0, then assess how that goes. We may move on to a M&P 2.0 compact or a Glock 19.

But I definitely understand and agree with what you are saying.

User Tag List