Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Why I Don't Tell People I Carry

Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    Half the time my wife doesn't even know.
    My wife just assumes I'm always carrying.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    Half the time my wife doesn't even know.
    Same here. She hates guns.
    Last edited by Cookie Monster; 12-14-2017 at 10:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    Regarding church, my church responded to recent events by announcing and expanding a “no guns” policy that I and the vast majority of other members had no idea existed. I have been quite open about my opposition to this policy, which probably makes it known that I carry. In this situation, I do not care. If the policy does not change very soon, my family and I are looking for a new church.
    I don't do the organized religion thing but the church my wife attends specifically asked her to please carry.
    The people they requested carry are asked to sit in certain areas so they are dispersed and have coverage of the whole building.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

A while back a friend of a friend of a friend walked up to me in a conference room with hundreds of people doing his hands in a Yosemite Sam pistol firing action and asking quite loudly if I was packing...

The less know... the better.

Site Supporter
    I've carried a gun irregularly for over 50 years. Looking back, I realize that much of that time was having a handgun in my car. All of my professional jobs have prohibited carry on site. But, as I became older, I carried more frequently. One reason is declining physical health. Another is that I no longer have onerous restrictions. Now I even carry at home. I don't know anyone who would ask me whether or not I was carrying a handgun. If asked, I would likely say no. At my new job in the worst part of town I carry two handguns: a J frame in the front pants pocket and one of several pistols in an IWB holster. Actually, I don't expect trouble. If I did, I would work elsewhere. However, being armed gives me options, and just because I'm armed does not mean that I would draw a weapon. You see, I'm terrified of getting drawn into the criminal justice system, and having worked within it, I know what I'm talking about on this topic.
    Last edited by willie; 12-14-2017 at 11:35 PM.

Only two, maybe three people, in my life know that I carry a gun. They know because they're like-minded and understand the importance of discretion without needing it explained to them. If anybody asks me if I'm carrying a gun my response is usually, "Maybe. Maybe not." while looking them dead in the eyes with a slightly creepy vibe. That usually ends that conversation.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Banned
    I've said it before, the people who are close to me know but most of them carry too and couldn't care less.

I read a thread on another forum 2 or 3 years ago about a guy who was out at the bar with friends and ran into "a cool guy" who just happened to be drunk and told him about his concealed weapon. The drunk then proceeded to start some crap then went back and tried to borrow the author's gun to "settle the problem."

How do we avoid this? (Rhetorical) We don't tell random drunks we're carrying a gun.

I don't understand that mindset but I also don't think anyone here is THAT STUPID

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    My wife just assumes I'm always carrying.

Same here and just in case I'm not she is

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ldunnmobile View Post
    A while back a friend of a friend of a friend walked up to me in a conference room with hundreds of people doing his hands in a Yosemite Sam pistol firing action and asking quite loudly if I was packing...

The less know... the better.
    I’m gonna assume you didn’t corner him in the restroom and give time the beating he deserved.

Don't ask, don't tell.

User Tag List