Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why I Don't Tell People I Carry

Banned

Why I Don't Tell People I Carry

I'm not sure this is an appropriate topic but I know it comes up on other forums and I'd like to get an idea of what the consensus here is.

A few people that I've associated with over time know that I carry a handgun but it's not something that I go out of my way to let people know. I mentioned in another thread that right after I got my permit I mentioned it to a friend and a few weeks later he outted me during a conversation at church. It was a random conversation having nothing to do with guns and he just piped up "Cypher's carrying a gun right now." I asked him later not to do that again and to knowledge he hasn't but I learned my lesson.

I was on the security team at my church for several years. I was required to provide the church a copy of my CHP and qualify with the handgun I carried biannually so there was no hiding it there. They did however ask us to be discrete about it and not to announce the fact that there were armed members on the team.

I mention this because one of the team members took it upon himself to tell my SIL, who my wife had specifically asked me not to discuss it with. I found out about it when SIL told me she was going to ask the wife and I to a BBQ but "Dave told me you had to go qualify with your pistol" So the guy outted not only me but the entire security team in one Swell Foop.

Bottom line unless you need to know I don't mention it. I'm not secret squirrel about it but unless there's a need I don't bring it up.

Pretty much where I'm at with it too. My family knows I carry, a few trusted friends do. None of anyone else's business and it's not something I care to advertise. I have had co-workers who wanted to know how to get a CCW permit ask me if I knew, and I told them what was required, so I imagine they inferred that I had one, but unless they asked directly I didn't share.

I don’t get wrapped up about it. But my life is simple to the point where people don’t hang around me or I’m not invited to events because I’m an asshole......it has nothing to do with if I’m carrying a gun or not.

If someone asks if I’m carrying a gun, I simply ask if Rose Kennedy owns a black dress. That usually takes care of any people too sensitive for my politically correct personality.
    Last edited by Odin Bravo One; 12-14-2017 at 06:24 PM.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

When asked, I just laugh, say “that is a personal question,” laugh again, and change the topic.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

"Loose lips sink ships"

It's not too big of a secret around town since I've been doing CCW classes in this city since 2003, but I still try to maintain a low profile because people tend to say the dumbest shit at the worst times.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Site Supporter
    My bride's former boss is a "gun person" because she owns several laundromats, some in rather nasty places. My wife, being somewhat naive about things gun, asked her one night if she was carrying. She smiled and said: "If I was, do you think I'd TELL you?" I thought that was a good answer.

If you’re not a cop (neutral) or an active professional/semi-pro trainer (possibly good for business), then what possible good can come of letting the cat out of the bag? If I’m not meeting a shooting buddy at a good class somewhere, then they probably aren’t going to be a shooting buddy, so, no. Need to know only, and that really isn’t anybody.

Everyone knows I'm a shooter, it's one of my many fabulous talents. If that's someone's problem they can shove it in the pooper, although it almost never is.

What nobodies think of you isn't important. No need to spread it around (I don't), but eventually if you shoot enough everyone semi close to you is gonna know regardless.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

The lion does not concern himself with the opinion of the lamb.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

This question has come up several times. My answer is simple.

"I do not carry A gun."

I carry two. Which is also none of their steeekin' business.

User Tag List