Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Why I Don't Tell People I Carry

I don't tell people, even the cops, unless it is necessary.

Heck, I don't like to take a knife out in public (it gets people jumpy). I needed a knife the other day to open a package for someone and suddenly it was, "Wow, don't piss off RevolverRob, he'll stab you."

I don't bother responding to those kinds of things, but just smile. If folks want to think I'm dangerous, because of what they can see...I'd hate to see their bug-eyed reactions to the things they can't see.

My circle of friends and family has become so comfortably small in my 30's as compared to my 20's to the point where now everyone I associate with knows, are perfectly cool with it, and some carry themselves.

I do have business associates and acquaintances that I meet with monthly, I was recently asked to join a committee comprised of small business owners in the area, but I really don't talk about my personal life with them at all. We did talk about a recent gun scare at our high school and the vibe I got from the room was not anti gun, but more along the line of bad parenting and unstable homes. I'm not really sold on this committee being all that useful to me or the town so my involvement may cease in the next few months.
    Last edited by Casual Friday; 12-15-2017 at 10:09 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ldunnmobile View Post
    A while back a friend of a friend of a friend walked up to me in a conference room with hundreds of people doing his hands in a Yosemite Sam pistol firing action and asking quite loudly if I was packing...

The less know... the better.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    I’m gonna assume you didn’t corner him in the restroom and give time the beating he deserved.
    One of the Pastoral staff at my church was a retired cop. He carried pretty much always but was very discrete about it. The only reason I knew is because I was on the security team when he was in charge of it.

Long story short, this Pastor accepted a post in our missionary church in Uganda and left. The next week his replacement preached the Sunday sermon as his introduction to the congregation he open his sermon with a story about how he first met the Pastor he was replacing and proceed to out him in front of a congregation of approximately 2000 people

After the sermon I end up in the men's room with him and as politely as I could explained that the security team went to great lengths to be discrete about the fact that we were armed.

He got it

My wife, my kids, one guy at church plus the assistant priest (i took him to a competition). Thats it.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Heck, I don't like to take a knife out in public (it gets people jumpy). I needed a knife the other day to open a package for someone and suddenly it was, "Wow, don't piss off RevolverRob, he'll stab you."
    That's why I have an itty-bitty knife on my keys.

It's useful for most things and it doesn't scare the oplaphobes or the horses

Sent from my NSA-approved tracking device via Tapatalk
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    My circle of friends and family has become so comfortably small in my 30's as compared to my 20's to the point where now everyone I associate with knows, are perfectly cool with it, and some carry themselves.
    Wait until you hit 50. The circle of people I hang out with now is microscopic, and those folks are in that circle for a reason.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

At my last job, everyone just assumed everyone had a driver's license and a permit to carry concealed.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

As a former grappling martial artist, I often reply: Of course I am armed (wave arms). And even when I am disarmed, I am still armed.

Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

Around here, it’s assumed you are carrying, which is awesome since the only reason it comes up is to chit chat about what you carry and such (which is a great opportunity to stomp out gun shop fables). The last time I was asked a “carry” question in a tone I didn’t care for, I just shrugged and walked off like a goofball. Not that I cared whether he knew, I just didn’t want to talk to him.
    Bob Loblaw lobs law bombs

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    I don't tell people, even the cops, unless it is necessary.

I don't bother responding to those kinds of things, but just smile. If folks want to think I'm dangerous, because of what they can see...I'd hate to see their bug-eyed reactions to the things they can't see.
    For sure, all this. Going tangential along those lines for a sec: serious training is even worse. If you are not from a profession that requires it (eg. ex-mil, ex-leo) then large parts of this enthusiast hobby are very hard to explain. To wit: I got "outed" earlier this fall by a coach in my boxing gym to one of my current supervisors in academia in a chance coffeehouse encounter. You could just see the gears shifting sans clutch as my ostensible "boss" reconciled his professional knowledge of me with this new information that I was in a boxing gym. Fortunately, my wife and I go there together, and she chimed in about what a great workout it is yada... I played it off by adding, "yeah, it’s excellent cardio and great fun. i don’t spar or anything, I’m too old for all that..." at which point the coach is going "But you have, you’ve gotten in the ring!"

Jesus.

This is why nobody at the boxing gym knows I have also trained at the jits place, and nobody at jits knows about any other combative stuff I’ve done, and none of them know I’m a shooter, let alone a dude who hemorrhages discretionary income on dilletante hobbyist shooter stuff.

As God is my witness, I think misanthropist and the FMA guy in town are the only 2 people alive besides my wife and my dad who know pretty much all of my hobbies and professional activities.

It’s easy to be all "fuck ‘em if they don’t like it" if you’re retired LE or MIl, or financially secure, or a mountain man, but for dudes like me who love their work and also realized that a track record of, say, edged weapon seminars is an HR nightmare, the CCW thing is just the tip of a large iceberg that many would think makes you Cthulhu’s S&M partner. It’s a conundrum.

User Tag List