Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Mandated gear that you would rather do without?

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    Did you switch to the USP 45 as your duty weapon?
    No, after a lot of soul searching I'm probably going to stick with my 1911 and Glock. I've been stuck flip-flopping between those two depending on assignment since 2006.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by KevH View Post
    No, after a lot of soul searching I'm probably going to stick with my 1911 and Glock. I've been stuck flip-flopping between those two depending on assignment since 2006.
    I almost bought a USP 45 the other day. Even for a small guy like me it was not as big as I thought it would be. The lack of an ALS holster turned me off.

I'm one of the guys plagued by skinny waist and no hips. Current belt setup clockwise from buckle is: chain cuffs, Glock, glove pouch, nothing across my back, hinged cuffs, radio, mags. On my outter vest carrier I have flashlight (streamlight HLX) on the far left, then the in car audio recording device next to that, OC on the far right, and our body cam center of chest.

We still aren't all issued tasers and baton's (Wood or expandable but no PR24) are now optional. I was carrying the monadnock until it got caught on the door frame getting out of the car on a domestic call and it snapped the cheap plastic carrier right off the belt. Now it sits in my locker.

We're required to carry a IFAK pre-packaged kit and a TQ on us so those ride in my right leg cargo pocket for now. We've received all of maybe 5 minutes of training on them.

I placed an order for a Rigid CAT TQ case and another TQ today so my belt setup is going to change some in the next couple weeks and I'll be switching to an RMR'd glock come next range day.

I'm a new guy (coming up on a year) but I'm assigned to day shift so my HLX covers my lighting needs. When I work into the dark hours whether on OT or a call-back I grab the Streamlight DS HL that rides in my duty bag and drop it into my lower left cargo pocket.
    -------------------------------

Gear that I'd like or will change?
    I'd like the audio recorder to go away, it just duplicates what my body cam already does.
    I'd like everyone to be issued, or have the possibility of being issued, tasers.
    I'm looking into adding a 20rd mag behind the Rigid TQ holder.
    I wish we could have a molle front on our externals because the fixed pouches on our look alike shirt vests get worn down and once its ordered if you don't like the placement you are SOL.
    And with 31 years until retirement I'm going to be adding suspenders or at least the back-up brace to my belt here soon.

Site Supporter
    Since my herniated disc/sciactica flare up in 2016, I have moved everything from the rear of my duty belt except the glove pouch in the center. From clockwise: handcuff case, OC pouch, Glock 23, ASP baton, glove pouch, Surefire 6 series flashlight scabbard, radio, double magazine pouch. Being in middle management (Lt.), I ditched the second pair of cuffs some time ago, but carry two full sets of restraints (cuffs, leg irons, waist chains) in the back of the Explorer JIC I need to help with transports. When I was in IA working in plainclothes, it was (clockwise): Glock, combo mag/handcuff carrier, cell phone. When doing interviews in the jail, I would carry the radio on the belt and OC in my pocket.
    I have never had the occasion to strike anyone with the ASP, but deploying it vigorously has convinced dogs to back off in my limited experience. I would prefer our old straight stick if I had a choice. Our jail folks have lots of experience with OC and it works well there.
    Last edited by deputyG23; 12-22-2017 at 03:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KevH View Post
    I have found that the Glock and 1911 can be quite compatible. The 1911 is my favorite right-handed auto-pistol, and the G17 has evolved into my default left-handed/ambidextrous auto-pistol. (I can shoot a 1911 lefty, but have no ambidextrous safety levers installed in my current 1911 pistols.) The difference in grip angles has not been a problem, for my hands.
    Last edited by Rex G; 12-22-2017 at 07:08 PM.

My TRP has the Ambi Safety but my Compact does not. I need to get one installed on it. The left hand shooting while trying to work the safet is something. I still carry Glocks as backups. My 43 is on my ankle as I type.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Mine looks like:

Clockwise from center...key hook, keeper, pistol, peacekeeper RCB in a hsgi extended taco, s&w 300 cuffs, 2 more keepers, s&w 1H cuffs on a strap, streamlight strion hl in another taco, radio, buckle for a removable drop panel for rifle ammo, keeper, taser, 2 mags.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cmbarny2 View Post
    We're required to carry a IFAK pre-packaged kit and a TQ on us so those ride in my right leg cargo pocket for now. We've received all of maybe 5 minutes of training on them.

I placed an order for a Rigid CAT TQ case and another TQ today so my belt setup is going to change some in the next couple weeks and I'll be switching to an RMR'd glock come next range day.
    Buy a second, dedicated training/practice CAT-T (ideally a different color than the one you carry on duty - this one is perfect) and practice applying it on yourself. Learn to check your pulses in your feet and in your wrists - you will know it is properly applied when you can no longer feel a pulse. Don't worry, this is perfectly safe - just don't leave it on for terribly long...

edit: Here's how to check pulses in your feet - either is acceptable. On myself I find it easier to find the posterior tibial pulse; on patients, I find it easier to check dorsalis pedis. Practice both - it's a helpful skill for more than just learning how to apply TQs. Remember to check pulses with your index and/or middle finger and never with your thumb.

Last edited by Nephrology; 12-28-2017 at 08:36 AM.

User Tag List