Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mandated gear that you would rather do without?

Mandated gear that you would rather do without?

Hey all,

Something said about belts, weight, and back injuries in the ‘classic revolver’ thread made me wonder about this. Any of you folks currently issued/were issued—and mandated to carry—gear that you would rather not tote around on the job?

Those of us on the lay side occasionally hear about gear that LE really should have, but don’t; but I can’t recall a discussion of kit that you all are made to carry that’s just not worth the weight/space. I’m sure shit like that exists in some jurisdictions; it has to be happening somewhere.

What would some examples be? Just curious.

Thanks in advance, officers.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Not for me. All the mandated stuff is pretty sensible for us. Bare minimum is gun, 2x magazine, radio, flashlight, OC, and handcuffs. Everyone not on admin carries a second set of cuffs, and most of the admin do. Batons are "have available", but in your car counts. Uniform must wear armor.

My belt has 2x magazine, key holder, pistol, cuffs, glove pouch, cuffs, flashlight, radio, taser, baton, OC, going clockwise from the buckle. Plain clothes, I carry less. We're mandated just gun and radio. Almost everyone carries an extra magazine and cuffs except the desk pilots and pure admin.

^^^Thanks for the input, BBI. Your mags are strongside, assuming I’m reading that correctly, yes? Priority to baton/OC, or...?

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Not for me. All the mandated stuff is pretty sensible for us. Bare minimum is gun, 2x magazine, radio, flashlight, OC, and handcuffs. Everyone not on admin carries a second set of cuffs, and most of the admin do. Batons are "have available", but in your car counts. Uniform must wear armor.

My belt has 2x magazine, key holder, pistol, cuffs, glove pouch, cuffs, flashlight, radio, taser, baton, OC, going clockwise from the buckle. Plain clothes, I carry less. We're mandated just gun and radio. Almost everyone carries an extra magazine and cuffs except the desk pilots and pure admin.
    The question I have, after shooting with guys wearing their full rig with all that on the belt, do any have more of a web setup with gear on the web (like cuffs, or a mag, or radio or something normally carried on the belt)? I know one fellow who had an M&Pc rigged up on his chest between his shirt and vest). It just seems inefficient not to with all that.

I would more than willingly dump the Taser. It isn't a weight issue, rather it has to do with over-all utility and belt.

OC is always on my work belt and i dont get out of the car on a call without one of two impact weapons (unless it is time for a shoulder weapon).

Quote Originally Posted by Zincwarrior View Post
    I know one fellow who had an M&Pc rigged up on his chest between his shirt and vest).
    What?
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Going on 22 years wearing all this crap........

Starting clockwise from buckle.......double mags, pistol, key thingie, baton, cuffs, Leatherman, small flashlight, radio, OC, Taser.

I'd like to lose the baton since our "green" areas diminished over the years. I think the only authorized use of the collapsible baton now is for blocks....so it's dead weight on the belt. I'd be much better off with another set of cuffs instead of the baton but we are mandated to carry it. When we asked at the last inservice covering batons and DT why we were still forced to carry the thing if we can't use it the staff really didn't have a good answer.

Several officers (like 8) have been "testing and evaluating" external carriers for what seems like 2 years and for some reason, the department won't go forward with this. I'd gladly pay out of pocket for one as it is a real back saver according to the ones that have them to T&E. My vest now is worn out and needs replacing as the velcro is done and there are several rips in both carriers I was issued.

Cops aren't happy unless they are whining about gear and policy and other things that we whine about. But those external carriers sure look comfortable.....and everyone that I talk to that has one raves about it. I'm one of those guys that has no hips so I have to wear the belt extra tight to keep it from going to my ankles. Wearing that way too snug, along with the vest, compresses me for 40 hours a week and is the worst part of the job. That's one thing I am looking forward to in retirement: no polyester and nothing squeezing the grease out of me.

Regards.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    ^^^Thanks for the input, BBI. Your mags are strongside, assuming I’m reading that correctly, yes? Priority to baton/OC, or...?
    Yes, but they are nearly center line and I can reach them with either hand.

I keep all my less lethal on the left just so I can't grab the wrong thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Zincwarrior View Post
    The question I have, after shooting with guys wearing their full rig with all that on the belt, do any have more of a web setup with gear on the web (like cuffs, or a mag, or radio or something normally carried on the belt)? I know one fellow who had an M&Pc rigged up on his chest between his shirt and vest). It just seems inefficient not to with all that.
    Not if you're in a patrol car most of the day. I'd not want more shit to hang up on the seat belt. On foot all day, maybe.

Clockwise from center:
    Uniformed patrol: belt buckle, dashcam body mic, OC, gun, one set of cuffs on a snap loop, second set of cuffs on a snap loop, radio, taser, key holder, double mag pouch with fixed blade knife clipped to pants behind the mags

Suit and tie: belt buckle, badge, gun, combo cuff/single mag holder, radio, issued cell phone

There’s nothing I’d really give up at this point. I’ve already given up the expandable baton because I just can’t find space for it on my belt with my thin build. If I absolutely had to pick something, I’d probably give up the taser first but it doesn’t really weigh much. It just takes up a lot of space.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    What?
    Sorry, as a backup firearm to his duty M&P. I was just wondering if you always had to carry all that on your belt.

User Tag List