Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: S&W 64, 64-1, 64-2, etc. Is one better than the others?

Site Supporter

S&W 64, 64-1, 64-2, etc. Is one better than the others?

Thus far I've resisted the revolver addiction, but the cheap Model 64s at SOG and on Gunbroker are providing some pretty strong temptation lately. I've looked at postings of a lot of pistols over the past week, and I'd like to know if there's any significant difference among versions, i.e. 64, 64-1, 64-2, etc. Aside from the lock that appears in the 64-8, the only difference that I can see is that the hammer nose was replaced on the 64-6 with a frame-mounted firing pin. (Please forgive me if I'm not using the correct names for the parts. I'm not yet fluent in revolver speak.) I want a 4" stainless gun without the lock, but beyond that, I don't really know what's desirable or what aftermarket parts fit which models. For example, the Apex hammer doesn't have a hammer nose, so I confident that it wouldn't fit the 64-4, but maybe it would fit the 64-6. If I bought a DA/SA model, is it easy to find DAO hammers for conversion? Is one particular model 64 better than the others?

Maybe I'm overthinking this and I should just get my FFL to order one from SOG for me tomorrow. It'll just be a range gun for me. I'd like to be decent at shooting a revolver, and owning something besides a .32H&R J-frame seems like an important next step to take. Thanks.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by pangloss View Post
    Thus far I've resisted the revolver addiction, but the cheap Model 64s at SOG and on Gunbroker are providing some pretty strong temptation lately. I've looked at postings of a lot of pistols over the past week, and I'd like to know if there's any significant difference among versions, i.e. 64, 64-1, 64-2, etc. Aside from the lock that appears in the 64-8, the only difference that I can see is that the hammer nose was replaced on the 64-6 with a frame-mounted firing pin. (Please forgive me if I'm not using the correct names for the parts. I'm not yet fluent in revolver speak.) I want a 4" stainless gun without the lock, but beyond that, I don't really know what's desirable or what aftermarket parts fit which models. For example, the Apex hammer doesn't have a hammer nose, so I confident that it wouldn't fit the 64-4, but maybe it would fit the 64-6. If I bought a DA/SA model, is it easy to find DAO hammers for conversion? Is one particular model 64 better than the others?

Maybe I'm overthinking this and I should just get my FFL to order one from SOG for me tomorrow. It'll just be a range gun for me. I'd like to be decent at shooting a revolver, and owning something besides a .32H&R J-frame seems like an important next step to take. Thanks.
    It's all preferences. A 64 of any description would be an absolute shooting machine, and you will love it. If I were you, I'd just get the gunstore to order one of those cheap SOG trade-ins and a bunch of ammo and have fun!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    It's all preferences. A 64 of any description would be an absolute shooting machine, and you will love it. If I were you, I'd just get the gunstore to order one of those cheap SOG trade-ins and a bunch of ammo and have fun!
    Thanks for enabling. Your "I am a weak person" thread did not help me tonight. On the other hand, I've been saying I'm going to buy a revolver for three years now, and it has been 10 whole days since I bought anything gun-related. That last purchase was just a rifle cleaning rod and some bore brushes, so it seems like I'm due for a K-frame because of reasoning.

Site Supporter
    Thanks for enabling. Your "I am a weak person" thread did not help me tonight. On the other hand, I've been saying I'm going to buy a revolver for three years now, and it has been 10 whole days since I bought anything gun-related. That last purchase was just a rifle cleaning rod and some bore brushes, so it seems like I'm due for a K-frame because of reasoning.

The 64 would be even more tempting if I didn't have 2 fixed sight kframes in my safe already.

So, with that reasoning, how did I justify adding 2 3rd Gens to the pair I already have in the safe?
    Last edited by Duelist; 12-13-2017 at 11:58 PM.

you're over thinking it. Buy one, shoot it, you'll be hooked. It's only a range gun; don't worry too much.

Just purchased a DAO 64 from SOG for $229. So basically for $315 (gun, shipping, FFL fee, holster), I bought a sweet K Frame to go with my growing number of J Frames. Not bad.

What everyone else is saying. I’m a sucker for a pinned barrel and a hammer-mounted pin, but whatever: if it says 64 on it, and there’s no lock, then you’ll likely love it.

Beware though, as a model 64 will inspire desire for a 65, and so on and so forth...

I know MIM is fine for many, but I don't like it in my S&W revolvers if I can help it. I prefer the pre-MIM guns so it would have to be before 64-6 (they changed the frame and some other features with that variation as well).

Here's a list:

Model 64 Military & Police Stainless, .38 Special
    -n 1970, Introduction, 4” tapered barrel, Magna stocks, flash chromed hammer & trigger.
    -1 1972, 4" Heavy barrel introduction, made for Oklahoma Highway Patrol, .357 Magnum; later became the M-65.
    . . 1973, Heavy barrel only.
    -2 1977, Change to put the gas ring from the yoke to the cylinder on 2" versions.
    -3 1977, Change to put the gas ring from the yoke to the cylinder on heavy barrel versions.
    . . 1982, Delete pinned barrels.
    -4 1988, New yoke retention system/radius stud package/hammer nose bushing/ floating hand/on 2" tapered barrel version.
    -5 1988, New yoke retention system on 3" & 4", hammer nose bushing, floating hand.
    . . 1991, 3" heavy barrel became standard production.
    . . 1994, Change star extractor, change to synthetic grips.
    . . 1995-96, Delete square butt model.
    . . 1996, Begin shipments in blue plastic cases.
    . . 1996, Serrated backstrap & forestrap on RB frame for about 18 months, then discontinued.
    . . 1997, Change thumbpiece/ship with Master trigger lock/change to MIM trigger.
    -6 1998, Change frame design: eliminate cylinder stop stud, change to MIM hammer with floating firing pin, change internal lockwork.
    . . 2001, Ship with fired case.
    -7 2002, Introduce internal key lock system.
    -8 2004, New two-piece barrel design

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    If I bought a DA/SA model, is it easy to find DAO hammers for conversion?
    Any hammer can be converted to DAO by grinding off the SA notch, and any of them can be bobbed to have a shape fairly close to that of the factory bobbed hammers. However, they won't have the case hardening swirls in the finish. True, factory-bobbed DAO hammers are hen's teeth. I searched for a couple months before finding someone on S-Wforums who had a spare.

I've suggested that S&W create a drop-in, DAO bobbed hammer in MIM for the MIM guns, which should be sold as an accessory for ~$25. They thanked me for the suggestion. I'm pretty sure I heard laughing across the Intertubes...

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    So, with that reasoning, how did I justify adding 2 3rd Gens to the pair I already have in the safe?
    The thing about 3953s is they are out of production and S&W is no longer supporting them, so if you intend to put a lot of rounds through them, or settle on them as a carry gun because optimum balance of shootability and concealability, you should have several.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

If you can find a Model 64 with a 3 inch barrel (and more than a few were made), I'd strongly argue that one would be better than the others. This might sound nuts, but it is my belief that the short barrel K frames can be even more accurate than the longer barrel ones.

User Tag List