Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: S&W 64, 64-1, 64-2, etc. Is one better than the others?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by KevH View Post
    I know MIM is fine for many, but I don't like it in my S&W revolvers if I can help it. I prefer the pre-MIM guns so it would have to be before 64-6 (they changed the frame and some other features with that variation as well).

Here's a list:

Model 64 Military & Police Stainless, .38 Special
    -n 1970, Introduction, 4” tapered barrel, Magna stocks, flash chromed hammer & trigger.
    -1 1972, 4" Heavy barrel introduction, made for Oklahoma Highway Patrol, .357 Magnum; later became the M-65.
    . . 1973, Heavy barrel only.
    -2 1977, Change to put the gas ring from the yoke to the cylinder on 2" versions.
    -3 1977, Change to put the gas ring from the yoke to the cylinder on heavy barrel versions.
    . . 1982, Delete pinned barrels.
    -4 1988, New yoke retention system/radius stud package/hammer nose bushing/ floating hand/on 2" tapered barrel version.
    -5 1988, New yoke retention system on 3" & 4", hammer nose bushing, floating hand.
    . . 1991, 3" heavy barrel became standard production.
    . . 1994, Change star extractor, change to synthetic grips.
    . . 1995-96, Delete square butt model.
    . . 1996, Begin shipments in blue plastic cases.
    . . 1996, Serrated backstrap & forestrap on RB frame for about 18 months, then discontinued.
    . . 1997, Change thumbpiece/ship with Master trigger lock/change to MIM trigger.
    -6 1998, Change frame design: eliminate cylinder stop stud, change to MIM hammer with floating firing pin, change internal lockwork.
    . . 2001, Ship with fired case.
    -7 2002, Introduce internal key lock system.
    -8 2004, New two-piece barrel design
    Thanks very much for posting this info!

Site Supporter
    I hope they have one left next Wednesday. I'm truly an idiot for not getting one yesterday.

Site Supporter
    How's the average condition of these?

So in my complete stupidity, I ordered one myself (as previously mentioned) and didn’t realize they were a wholesaler and needed to be ordered through my FFL. They are still sending the gun to my FFL after I spoke with them admitting my mistake. Can’t wait to receive it. I also bought a very nice Model 15 on GB, so I may send my model 64 straight to Glenn custom to have him work it over and add sights
    Last edited by Kirk; 12-18-2017 at 11:17 PM.

Site Supporter
    SO you can't order these yourself and put in your FFL shipping address on the website?

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    No, the FFL has to be the buyer. Which means they have to charge you sales tax if it applies in your state.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    No, the FFL has to be the buyer. Which means they have to charge you sales tax if it applies in your state.
    Thank you!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    No, the FFL has to be the buyer.
    Actually, this is likely not correct. My FFL didn't want to place the order and asked that I try to order it myself. He said if SOG wouldn't accept the order from me then he would place the order. I called SOG and the woman I spoke with said it was fine for me to place the order and for them to ship to my FFL. I placed the order online without any problems. Hopefully shipping and transfer will go smoothly.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

I placed my order by telephone. SOG had my FFL’s information on file and my order went smoothly. I’ll be picking my 64 up on Saturday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

User Tag List