Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I am a weak person.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Well, at least the 3953 doesn't take up much space in the safe. Speaking of which, neither does a M64...

Just guessing on this, but you may have this backward. If the goal is simply to be out of debt, pay off the highest interest rates first. That's usually credit cards, then car payments, then mortgage. Plus, any interest you pay on a mortgage is tax deductible, which makes it less painful than other interest.

I'm in a bit of a weird situation that way. The car I just bought was one the dealer really wanted to get rid of (they'd sent it to auction and had to bring it back to the shop, whereas it was one I have contemplated travel to another state to find), and I was negotiating at 7 pm on the last day of the month. I ended up with an interest rate 1.4% below my mortgage. So if I'm going to dump cash on a loan, I let the car payment ride and put it on the house first. Weird, but that's the math.
    Oh yeah, no doubt.

My dad is a CPA who never pays interest on anything. Like I said, on paper, we are in the black. But my wife has personal reasons for not writing a check for all of our debt today and it's a long, complicated story.

We are good with our current plan of living small. Our last new car we bought was 2010 on zero interest, our 15 year refi on our home is done in February (took my yearly longevity bonus and paid on it) and CCs are the last step.

But you are right, always best to start with the higher interest first.

Regards.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    Well if y'all would stop feeding your wife and kids EVERY DAY...

I hope I meet a girl with a taste for the finer things like old trucks and guns instead of one that's into new cars without visible body damage, throw pillows, and children.
    The owner of this car once mentioned he thought maybe he should sell it. His girlfriend told him not to. He did the right thing. They are now married with two awesome little black cats and lots of cars.

Name:  596481980_mugmL-M.jpg
Views: 366
Size:  89.8 KB

(MotoIQ is a good site for car stuff...)
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Cars are cool, too bad about the cats though.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Just guessing on this, but you may have this backward. If the goal is simply to be out of debt, pay off the highest interest rates first. That's usually credit cards, then car payments, then mortgage. Plus, any interest you pay on a mortgage is tax deductible, which makes it less painful than other interest.
    Not wanting to cause a pissing contest on this, but I also looked at cash flow. If I can get done paying $1500mo by continuing to pay an extra $40mo in intrest I will/did.
    I have paid off cars to free up the money for other things, because that also brings the flexibility to punt for a month if you have to.
    In the case of home intrest the rate is low, but for most people it is going to be the MOST intrest because the term is long.
    Anyway, just relating one scheme. And oh, am a big fan of 15yr mortgage.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

A little back on topic......

There is a man in town that is a buddy of mine that has a 3 inch Smith model 66. Were he to call me today and offer it to me, it would get bought with a quickness.

Might have to do without groceries for a month but I need to lose some weight anyway. So I do have my limits.....or rather, lack of strength in the face of such a temptation.

Regards.

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    You should do that. After only 30 years, Gaston made a pistol that is usable right out of the box with no mods.

Let's go get some more BBQ, and you can shoot my Gen5 G19.
    Sounds good, shall I bring the Glock 17 Gen 5 I just bought?

Quote Originally Posted by lwt16 View Post
    A little back on topic......

There is a man in town that is a buddy of mine that has a 3 inch Smith model 66. Were he to call me today and offer it to me, it would get bought with a quickness.

Might have to do without groceries for a month but I need to lose some weight anyway. So I do have my limits.....or rather, lack of strength in the face of such a temptation.

Regards.
    Temptation? Buying that gun would be a requirement. You don't have an option in that circumstance.
    Last edited by Bigghoss; 12-14-2017 at 05:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Oukaapie View Post
    Sounds good, shall I bring the Glock 17 Gen 5 I just bought?
    Dooooooo eeeeettt!

Site Supporter
    I have been weak as well. A local dealer was selling Armalite AR-15 Defenders for $476 OTD. I succumbed and bought two: one FS and one flat gas block model. The free Vortex SPARC AR red dot was an added incentive.
    Have been resisting the urge to buy a Gen 5 Glock for months now. Waiting to see if my work will switch to these in a couple of years.
    My biggest weakness is .38 K frame Smith revolvers. I have enough to outfit a small town PD now...
    Last edited by deputyG23; 12-22-2017 at 06:27 AM.

There’s a P228 sitting in a local pawn shop, but they want too much for it. I think it was in the $640 range, but it’s got noticeable wear. I’m tempted anyway because it’s been a dream gun for a while but if I bought it, it’d wind up in an evidence locker after my wife killed me with it.
    “Conspiracy theories are just spoiler alerts these days.”

User Tag List