Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Subjective, who carries a G19 easier than a G17, discounting grip printing.

Subjective, who carries a G19 easier than a G17, discounting grip printing.

OK. I have a pretty specific reason for asking this. I am looking to replace my EDC G19 w/RMR. Not because there is anything wrong with it, but it is about 8 years old with give or take 80,000 rounds on it. I am going to add a WML and keep it as a home defense option. I have a Gen4 G17 in my range bag that has the grip cut down to 19 length. It doesn't get used much and was considering getting a slide with a cut out and mounting a new RMR on it. I am somewhat wondering if the length of the 17 slide is going to be less comfortable than the 19. I use AIWB and have for 8 or 9 years now. I realize this will be different for different people, but was wondering if anyone has made their decision on what to carry due to slide length.

Yes I realize I could buy a new G19 and have it milled. I am just trying to maximize the old Christmas bonus here and possibly put to use an underutilized gun in my small stable.
    Last edited by MVS; 12-25-2017 at 12:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MVS View Post
    OK. I have a pretty specific reason for asking this. I am looking to replace my EDC G19 w/RMR. Not because there is anything wrong with it, but it is about 8 years old with give or take 80,000 rounds on it. I am going to add a WML and keep it as a home defense option. I have a Gen4 G17 in my range bag that has the grip cut down to 17 length. It doesn't get used much and was considering getting a slide with a cut out and mounting a new RMR on it. I am somewhat wondering if the length of the 17 slide is going to be less comfortable than the 19. I use AIWB and have for 8 or 9 years now. I realize this will be different for different people, but was wondering if anyone has made their decision on what to carry due to slide length.

Yes I realize I could buy a new G19 and have it milled. I am just trying to maximize the old Christmas bonus here and possibly put to use an underutilized gun in my small stable.
    I think you've mixed 17 with 19 in your title and at least once in your post.

I think the best way you're going to find out if it's going to be comfortable to carry a longer pistol AIWB is to try some kind of IWB holster for your 17 in the AIWB position and see if there's any comfort differences between that and your 19 holster.

Personally, I found that any kind of pistol with a barrel length of 4.5 inches or longer is where I start to feel serious discomfort, so I don't consider carrying anything longer than that. There are others who find a G19 too long, and there are those who have no problem packing G34s AIWB. There's too many anthropomorphic differences in limb lengths and tactile sensations between people to really give you a definite answer if it will work for you, without trying it out to some extent.

Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    I think you've mixed 17 with 19 in your title and at least once in your post.
    In my post yes, the 17 is cut down to a 19 grip. Thanks. The title that is what I meant though. As we usually say the grip is the limiting factor for concealment. If we were to not be concerned about that, is it actually any easier to carry a 19 than a 17. Predictably some will say yes, and some will say no.

Quote Originally Posted by exuberant View Post
    I think the best way you're going to find out if it's going to be comfortable to carry a longer pistol AIWB is to try some kind of IWB holster for your 17 in the AIWB position and see if there's any comfort differences between that and your 19 holster.

Personally, I found that any kind of pistol with a barrel length of 4.5 inches or longer is where I start to feel serious discomfort, so I don't consider carrying anything longer than that. There are others who find a G19 too long, and there are those who have no problem packing G34s AIWB. There's too many anthropomorphic differences in limb lengths and tactile sensations between people to really give you a definite answer if it will work for you, without trying it out to some extent.
    Doing that now. Using a Raven Eidelon that I have laying around to try it out.

I think a 17 cut to 19 grip length is the ideal size iron sight carry gun, a 19X (17 lower, 19 upper) is the ultimate red dot shooting configuration, and a straight 19 the optimal dot carry size.

For EDC, with a dot, I would get another 19, and save the chopped 17 for when 2032 batteries become unavailable during the next democratic takeover of Congress.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Carrying comfort AIWB with G17 or G22 was the same as G19. G34 length I find intolerable.

Site Supporter
    I’m one of the few who prefers a 19 length holster for AIWB. If you don’t have any issues with the 17 length holster, then I wouldn’t see any downside.

I find the longer slide of the G17 more comfortable, mostly due to more stability as I move. (This is true of other auto-pistol systems, too, not just Glocks.) The exception is inside-the-trousers, forward of the hip, a.k.a. AIWB, where the shorter-length G19 jabs my thigh less. (I have, probably, abandoned AIWB carry for routine carry of wide-body-mag, striker-fired pistols, anyway, preferring revolvers and blades in that position.)

I normally carry a G19 in a G17 holster. The extra length over that of a G19 holster doesn’t bother me but, like everything else with AIWB, that’s personal preference and what works for me might not work for you. Do you have access to a G17 holster to try?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

User Tag List