Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RFI: long distance rifle instruction: who do we like?

RFI: long distance rifle instruction: who do we like?

Per the thread title, who do we like for vetted, open enrollment precision rifle training? Who have y'all had direct experience with that is good, as in, same league as the usual pistol instructors that we know and love? My searching of P-F revealed LL's secret crush on bolt guns, but not so much where to go learn more about their usage.

Thanks in advance, folks.

Jacob Bynum/Rifles Only is hard to beat. Their DVDs are arguably the best intro and foundation short of personal instruction. Range is in south TX coast.

I'd look into Todd Hodnett, Caylen Wojcik, Ken Gooch.

Even though I have not shot long distance with Bill Rapier, he is effectively one of the most knowledgeable people when it comes to long distance shooting, while understanding the concepts and how to effectively teach them.

He's got one class scheduled so far on precision shooting - check out his courses (that class is towards the bottom) - http://www.amtacshooting.com/courses/upcoming

Since you are in the NW and he's in Idaho, I'd recommend sending him an email and you may be able to get something closer to you sooner.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

If you have the opportunity to train with Carl Taylor (http://inmotiontargets.com), I highly recommend it.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

I’m no expert but I hunt quite a bit. You might want to check out RBros rifles in Washington. They are hunters and prs competitors and they do offer some classes.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Not that you would want to travel internationally to do it or anything...but Rob Furlong runs a school that teaches long range precision and he was a fairly recent record holder of the long range kill record in Afghanistan. He's up around Edmonton.

This spring there MAY be a long range course taught by another legitimate Canadian long range shooter; that'd be around Kelowna.

I mention them only because they're relatively close by for you and for whatever reason, the Canadian marksmanship program seems to churn out a relatively high number of people who shoot very well at long ranges. So while I wouldn't recommend going to the Canadian military system for all that much, this happens to be one arena in which they do very well.

But you'd still have to leave the country to do it which seems pointless.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

Site Supporter
    Took midrange rifle at Thunder Ranch in Oregon. It was a good start for me being a pistol guy. Basics and work out to 700 yards.

Great stuff, folks. Just the sort of recommendations I was looking for.

@misanthropist, who’d want to leave the country to do a gun class? You’d have to be some sort of looney, eh?

I have not taken a class from him, but Daryl Holland was a sniper for SF and Delta, and has a traveling road show.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    Great stuff, folks. Just the sort of recommendations I was looking for.

@misanthropist, who’d want to leave the country to do a gun class? You’d have to be some sort of looney, eh?
    Only the untrustworthy and possibly deranged engage in this kind of transnational antisocial lunacy, there's no question about it.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

User Tag List