Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Greg E article on effectiveness of dogs

I've heard of a few canine alarm system failures- the one time my parent's Jack Russel didn't bark at strangers was when their truck was getting robbed. Another time, a large shepherd in PNG sat happily on a porch next to a couple of guys were trying to pry the bars off a window.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

My two Catahoulas would fearlessly defend me to the death from anything on 4 legs (they're bred to herd hogs and cattle via bullying and hunt mountain lions via bullying, they have zero fear of anything on four legs and are very animal aggressive), the best I can hope for is a bark at a human.
    Last edited by JodyH; 12-16-2017 at 04:21 PM.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Site Supporter
    There are about 10 breeds of dogs which, if you own them, the insurance company I use will not write a homeowners policy for you. There is good reason for this: I recently read of a woman who was mauled to death by her own two pit bulls.

I have two kids, and not all of their friends are smart around dogs. Whatever benefit a protection dog may provide is not worth the risks and liability if something goes wrong. If my dog ever bit someone, my first question would be “What did they do to deserve it?” That is the only type of dog I would want to own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

I want our tribe of canines to provide a warning, which they do, persistently and enthusiastically, and leave the defending to the four armed adults in the household. If no humans are home, well, we have safes and insurance. I do not want any of the dogs being hurt or killed defending our material possessions.

Having been to many homes, for any number of reasons, while LEO-ing for 34 uears, I agree that most dogs will not fight, against determined humans, to defend territory.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    There are about 10 breeds of dogs which, if you own them, the insurance company I use will not write a homeowners policy for you. There is good reason for this: I recently read of a woman who was mauled to death by her own two pit bulls.

I have two kids, and not all of their friends are smart around dogs. Whatever benefit a protection dog may provide is not worth the risks and liability if something goes wrong. If my dog ever bit someone, my first question would be “What did they do to deserve it?” That is the only type of dog I would want to own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think I read that story. They both weighed more than her and according to the news story had been bred or trained for fighting.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

^^^the irony: after the dogs mauled her to death, they stood guard over the body. Weird stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Have you owned one?
    I do live in the middle of nowhere in "a cabin" and honestly, dogs are high maintenance. The Caucasian shepherd, especially. They are not a "newbie dog". Further, I spend long periods of time away from home...how will my home look when a 180# bored animal begins experimenting with "can I bite it in half or not"?

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    I want our tribe of canines to provide a warning, which they do, persistently and enthusiastically, and leave the defending to the four armed adults in the household. If no humans are home, well, we have safes and insurance. I do not want any of the dogs being hurt or killed defending our material possessions.

Having been to many homes, for any number of reasons, while LEO-ing for 34 uears, I agree that most dogs will not fight, against determined humans, to defend territory.
    Exactly! My personal insurance policy covers everything I own of value. Honestly, if I'm truthfully not scared for my wellbeing, I'd not shoot someone over anything I own. It's not worth it to me in legal fees, etc. vs just using insurance money to buy a new doodad.

Quote Originally Posted by Zincwarrior View Post
    Our mountain dog is part Cauc. He's a tank that has destroyed multiple pits that have charged him, but is a big teddy bear with people. His bark however can shake the house.

Now the wiener dog, he's a killing machine...
    Weinerdog are the most vicious dogs, per studies. Weird but true.

I have a Maine coon. Live in the middle of nowhere. When something is amiss, he growls loudly. Sleeps by my pillow. Great alarm. Woke me the other day over a coyote outside. Not much gets by him.

User Tag List