Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Greg E article on effectiveness of dogs

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Well, the article doesn't really say anything other than dogs aren't always a deterrent and we're not real sure how effective they are. I'd suggest any one factor is difficult to isolate. Layer your security, be as hard a target as possible, move on.

I've read before of a burglar interviewed that said one dog, even a large one, no sweat. TWO decent sized and he would go shopping for another house. IDK what the validity of that sentiment is.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Well, the article doesn't really say anything other than dogs aren't always a deterrent and we're not real sure how effective they are. I'd suggest any one factor is difficult to isolate. Layer your security, be as hard a target as possible, move on.
    I agree. There is nothing 100% effective. Layer home and personal security to optimize you chance for success. The real problem is peoples false sense of security due to unrealistic understanding and ability of the mindset, skills, and tools utilized.

Site Supporter
    Defense in depth. One dog a grown man can fight off. Two big hard dogs you need a weapon and you still might get a serious injury. If I lived how I wanted I would be divorced and it would look like a JSS (joint security station)in the woods.

If I was single and living in a cabin in the woods composing my manifesto, I'd have a Caucasian Shepard as my companion.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by Peally View Post
    Agreed, unless they're particularly mean or very well trained they're basically fun alarm systems. My dog barking plus the TV being on is handy for faking someone being home, but the 50 pound doofus isn't going to stop anyone from getting in unless he finally grows thumbs and starts dry firing with me.
    Mine have their dews removed so there's no hope. I've had seven Labs in the last thirty years and one of them probably would have fought for my wife. Two or three might have barked, the rest slept through everything including LE searches outside the house with helos overheard. People do notice 2-3 large dogs in the yard though.

That said I recall reading about a serial rapist in the 1980s who would not select a victim who owned any kind of dog.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Site Supporter
    An alarm goes off when something is already broken. A dog can hear someone or something while it is still outside and not even close to gaining entry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

An indoor dog is hard to defeat as an alarm system if the dog is worth a damn.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    If I was single and living in a cabin in the woods composing my manifesto, I'd have a Caucasian Shepard as my companion.
    Have you owned one?
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    An alarm goes off when something is already broken. A dog can hear someone or something while it is still outside and not even close to gaining entry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Like neighbors, or the mailman, or the old lady using a snowblower a block away... that feature cuts both ways
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

User Tag List