Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: Greg E article on effectiveness of dogs

Quote Originally Posted by TAZ View Post
    The Lance Armstrong of the canine world. That thing looks like something out of a scify movie and not in a happy way.
    They are working Pit Bulldog crossed with coursing/working Greyhound.

While I admire them, I have no use for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greg E article on effectiveness of dogs

A GORY, yet informative read.

Last edited by Mjolnir; 01-08-2018 at 11:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed L View Post
    From my understanding the Cane Corso was a recreated breed from a variety of dogs that kinda had a similar type:

http://www.canecorso-magazine.com/ma...ndex.html#p=21

This included introducing other dogs into the breeding --like the Neo Mastiff. Older style Neo Mastiffs looked more like Cane Corsos. Here is a picture of an older style Neo Mastiff:

Attachment 22806
    My thoughts?

The PHENOTYPE is old and there were no "breeds", per se, as we recognize them today. If a dog worked, it was bred. If it didn't, it was culled.

When man diffused across the world dogs went with him and if the new people had impressive stock, they were purchased and added to the working dogs they had.

The Cane Corso appears to be one of the dog's the Romans had; certainly one of the TYPES of dogs they had.

It appears to me the Cane Corso became a rural farm dog and thus remained relatively "pure" (as regards breeding working dogs). That they may have other blood in them is a probable.

I think the two breeds share a common source bred two different ways: one a true working dog and the other bred as an "estate guardian".

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    No trainer ever said my 85lb Mal was too weak to do combat with humans, just saying
    Mals are fantastic protection dogs ! and better suited for Police work than Bandogs ... I like having large home protection breeds.
    Last edited by Robert Mitchum; 01-10-2018 at 12:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed L View Post
    Why would you need to breed in a Presa Canario to a Neapolitan mastiff?

I would think the Pressa is large enough to more than get the job done.
    No need just another example of different type of Bandog .

Quote Originally Posted by Mjolnir View Post
    I prefer a lighter, faster, more agile, higher drive dog for that (and all purposes): a "coursing mastiff" or "light mastiff" (my terms). The Spanish wiped out the natives in the New World with dogs of a phenotype like the working Argentinean Dogo and the "lebrel" or "heavy-headed Greyhound"; like a modern day Alaunt.

Not only are you NOT getting away from this dog, he can run all damned day; something that Bandog could never hope to do.

I want a dog for home protection not running a mile away from my house.
    To each his own if it works for you that's all that counts .
    Last edited by Robert Mitchum; 01-10-2018 at 12:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    Posting here, because I believe this to fit under the topic of mindset. My personal feeling is that dogs--even the dogs that my wife and I have favored over the decades: Pinschers, Rotties, Boxer/AmStaff mixes--are fun, loving, and occasionally stinky, alarm systems. Not defensive tools.

Bluntly, if I really wanted into a house with dogs, I'd likely be able to get past them, and I'm no door kicker or criminal mastermind.

Article:

http://www.activeresponsetraining.ne...ter-criminals?

Discussion/thoughts?
    Your attitude and beliefs would be drastically altered if you attempted to enter my house unauthorized with either of my past two dogs. A GSD and a Dobe. And yes, I know this for a fact.
    US Navy Veteran
    1961-1965

JMO.... most everyone on here is into finding the best ways of protecting there families.
    There are good and bad examples in every dog breed .. if you choice dogs as part of your protection plan research and good hunting !

User Tag List