Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Greg E article on effectiveness of dogs

Greg E article on effectiveness of dogs

Posting here, because I believe this to fit under the topic of mindset. My personal feeling is that dogs--even the dogs that my wife and I have favored over the decades: Pinschers, Rotties, Boxer/AmStaff mixes--are fun, loving, and occasionally stinky, alarm systems. Not defensive tools.

Bluntly, if I really wanted into a house with dogs, I'd likely be able to get past them, and I'm no door kicker or criminal mastermind.

Article:

http://www.activeresponsetraining.ne...ter-criminals?

Discussion/thoughts?

Agreed, unless they're particularly mean or very well trained they're basically fun alarm systems. My dog barking plus the TV being on is handy for faking someone being home, but the 50 pound doofus isn't going to stop anyone from getting in unless he finally grows thumbs and starts dry firing with me.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

My experience is they are a very mixed bag insofar as their behavior while (I was) making uninvited entries to people's homes with various canine residents, large and small.

Many variables at play. Bottom line? Absent training or knowing how a dog has reacted in the past under the same set of circumstances, there's no telling how they'll react. And even then...
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Dogs are great alarms, decent deterrents against people who are afraid of dogs but very unreliable weapons.
    Last edited by JodyH; 12-13-2017 at 03:05 PM.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Most burglars are drug addicts and the burglary is a crime of opportunity, I suspect large mean looking barking dogs are very effective.
    Professional burglars will not be deterred by a dog, unless it's a real full on 100% attack dog. Are you willing to have a trained dog that will attack and kill an intruder. I'm not aware of any trainer in the US that will train your dog to bite the face, neck, head of a human or to rip out a mans belly.

Site Supporter
    My 16 lb. Yorkshire terrier isn’t going to deter anyone, but the extra early warning will ensure that either my wife or I will be well prepared to do so. I don”t want a dog that could pose a risk to my kids or my guests.

My neighbor used to have Great Danes. While they have a reputation of being gentle dogs, the last one they had, which they did not know had been mis-bred until after the fact, almost took my thumb off after I asked to meet it. Although that dog had to make its final trip to the vet, I don”t think any sane person would try to get into a house with 160 pounds of psycho dog inside.

Of course, not everyone who would break in thinks that way.
    Last edited by BillSWPA; 12-13-2017 at 05:00 PM.

Site Supporter
    Dogs are a great alarm system. Nobody wants to get bitten. If burglars want in; they will get in. If they cased you and come prepared; they will Take care of any dog. I will never forget an attempted home invasion call; actor was trying to kick in the front door. Homeowner let his Rottweiler out the back door. We arrived to find a happy bloody rotty with The ass part of a pair of jeans hanging from his mouth. We never found the suspect but I’m sure he is still missing a piece of his ass

Site Supporter
    In my experience the article is spot on. No dog can stop a bullet. Its easy to whack a dog if you are determined to gain entry somewhere.

If you are unarmed, however, the story changes. That is where a medium-large guarding-breed dog has a huge advantage. Even if the criminal is armed with a blunt object, the right dog just doesn't care. not one bit. in fact using it on the dog will put the criminal further behind the curve. I've seen many dogs with no training go absolutely ballistic when approached with a blunt object.

Even in this scenario though, bring a nice ribeye, and all but the most highly trained dog is gonna comply to get a tasty treat.

Most dogs provide a reliable challenge to an attacker or criminal trespasser. This gives you time and an important distraction to gain an advantage over the situation.

In my experience though, through the all-in cost and fuss of a dog over an 8-10 year useful life, its barely, I mean barely worth it.

I'd agree that dogs cannot stop a criminal determined to commit a crime- whether it's a burglary or assault. However- if i was breaking into houses and heard a dog barking, I'd probably move on to the next house. We have a Rottie primarily because we love dogs, but also as a deterrent/early warning system.
    This country needs an enema- Blues approved sig line

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    Dogs are great alarms,
    And that is all I've ever wanted from my pets. "Gimme three steps" and I'll take it from there.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

User Tag List