Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CMP 1911s... (are we closer?)

Site Supporter

CMP 1911s... (are we closer?)

There was an update posted yesterday:

http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/1911-information/

It's written from the standpoint of "if we ever get them from the army." But perhaps this suggests the "if" is more likely than not...

I guess I'm not really a "1911 guy" (yet). I've had one. Liked it. But DA/SA always calls me home. Nevertheless, I think it would be damn cool to own one of these.

As one who was issued and used them on active duty one, I'd much rather have a new Colt Series 70 reproduction.

Best, Jon

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    As one who was issued and used them on active duty one, I'd much rather have a new Colt Series 70 reproduction.

Best, Jon
    Interesting insight. Thanks. I'm sure the new ones are functionally "better." I just think it would be neat to own one from a historical perspective.

There is that, which I respect. My personal "boots on the ground" perspective led me to seek alternative pistols/weapons, when I was in a position to do so back in the days when a 1911 was the issue PDW.

Best, Jon

have a 5 digit 1911, was refinished at some point before being sold by .gov for $17.50 in the 1960s. put new springs in last year. still rattles. itty, bitty sights, 7lb trigger. still works, but it's not a thing of beauty or performance. also put new grips on it (saved the worn walnut ones).

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    My personal "boots on the ground" perspective led me to seek alternative pistols/weapons, when I was in a position to do so back in the days when a 1911 was the issue PDW.

Best, Jon
    I've heard (i.e., "read") some veterans say they always had confidence in their 1911s. I've heard some say their issued guns were woefully inaccurate. But I never heard they weren't reliable. Not sure if that's your experience or not.

To clarify, I wouldn't be interested in a rusty piece of junk with worn out rifling and a shoddy lockup--I'd want to shoot it (and hit something). But I wouldn't be expecting match grade accuracy or a perfect finish either.

I'll be glad if these make it into the hands of collectors instead of whatever would happen to them otherwise. I'm not particularly interested in one myself though.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I read somewhere (TFB, maybe?) that the minimum price is going to be something like $1k for the rough ones. I'm interested as a piece of history, but not more than a rather nice new one.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    I read somewhere (TFB, maybe?) that the minimum price is going to be something like $1k for the rough ones. I'm interested as a piece of history, but not more than a rather nice new one.
    Click the link in the original post, and scroll to the bottom:
    Concerning sale price of the 1911s: CMP has been selling M1 Garands, M1 Carbines, 1903s, .22s, etc. for 21+ years and we have never taken advantage of anyone. CMP is not going to start price gouging people now with the 1911s. The 1911s will be priced at fair market value just like our M1 Garands. The CMP's enabling legislation directs sales of items at fair market value.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

The CMP is a private organization now. Their idea of fair market value may not be what many of us think is "fair".

I remember a few years ago when they talked about being able to sell 1911s as soon as they received a shipment. The prices suggested by some within CMP were over $1000.

I'd be happy if that changed.

-Cory

User Tag List