Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: RFI is out for CBP's new 9mm pistol

Quote Originally Posted by TCB View Post
    Word has it that it’s definitely going to be the Sig. Unless it’s not. The COTS versions of all the potential entrant guns were shot a bunch earlier this year. Hopefully we get whatever version of whatever wins the official test/selection by 2019 as there aren’t very many P2000’s left in inventory. I’m sure at some point some one will screw it ip though and we’ll end up with a Taurus.
    Over the past 6 months I've been talking about the various 9's and discussing my take on the pros and cons of them with several of the FLETC FI's that I shoot matches with and who were sifting through the internal RFI info that's been collected.
    I have a pretty extensive collection of striker fired service 9's and we've had them all out at the range after matches for the FI's and random interested Agents to coon finger and/or shoot.
    From the outside looking in it appears they're doing a great job of finding out what the Agents actually want and need when it comes to a service pistol and doing a great job of gathering and correctly analyzing that info and doing a lot of preliminary hands on with several potential contenders.
    Now if that info actually gets sent up the chain without being corrupted along the way I think this will be a big positive for the guys who actually have to depend on their guns for something other than decoration.
    Last edited by JodyH; 12-15-2017 at 12:54 PM.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    Some interesting requirements here:
    4.3 PISTOL #2
    This pistol shall be designated as a “mid-size”, and shall include a mid-size frame and mid-size slide combination.

4.3.1 Height: shall be between 4.75” and 5.60”
    4.3.2 Width: shall not exceed 1.50 inches.
    4.3.3 Length: shall not exceed 7.50”
    4.3.4 Weight: shall not exceed 30 ounces
    4.3.5 Barrel Length: shall be between 3.50” and 4.50”
    4.3.6 Modularity: Frame must also be compatible with slide/barrel combination from pistol #1 without adversely affecting functionality and operations of the firearm. Shall accept full size magazines (Pistol #1) without adversely affecting functionality and operation of the firearm.

4.4 PISTOL #3
    This pistol shall be designated as a “compact”, and shall include a compact frame and compact slide combination.

4.4.1 Height: shall be between 4.00” and 4.90”
    4.4.2 Width: shall not exceed 1.50 inches.
    4.4.3 Length: shall not exceed 7.00”
    4.4.4 Weight: shall not exceed 28 ounces
    4.4.5 Barrel Length: shall be between 3.00” and 3.80”
    4.4.6 Modularity: Compatibility with slide/barrel combination from pistol #2 without adversely affecting functionality and operations of the firearm is preferred but not required. Shall accept full size and mid-size magazines (Pistol #1 and Pistol #2) without adversely affecting functionality and operation of the firearm.

I'm not sure if Glocks can function like that. You can't just put a G17 slide on a G19 frame and call it good right? Same for the G19 and G26?
    I said this some time ago, but I think it was a missed opportunity by Glock in the Gen 5s to not make G19 and G17 slide / Frames compatible, especially since they were already working on the MHS project.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    A G19 sized APX compact exists.
    ???

A friend of mine has an M&P 2.0 full and compact and the slides can be switched between the two. The difference is minimal, only about a quarter inch. I suppose they could submit the M2.0 without the thumb safety as the "full" size and the 2.0 compact as the "mid" and then the original compact and the "small" size.

It's not a very good picture but the one on the right is a full-size frame with the compact slide and the one on the left is the compact frame with a full-size slide.

We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

If I understand the M&P frame, S&W could use a version of the 5" model as the full size. The mid-size would then be the current M2.0 Compact finished with a (non-existent but probably easily introduced) M2.0 sized like the legacy compact.

This should mean that the 5" and 4" slides would fit either the 15 or 17rd frame. Possibly even the 12rd frame.

Not as versatile as a P320 but plenty of options based on common slide rail lengths. Plenty of parts commonality too since extractors, trigger parts, etc would be the same across the board.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I said this some time ago, but I think it was a missed opportunity by Glock in the Gen 5s to not make G19 and G17 slide / Frames compatible, especially since they were already working on the MHS project.
    Glock changed the locking block on the gen5 so that the 19 and 17 share the same locking block. In theory this should set them up for being able to offer a 17 slide on a 19 frame and vice versa.

Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post
    Glock changed the locking block on the gen5 so that the 19 and 17 share the same locking block.
    Good idea. Long overdue.

I didn't know this. I wonder if the will come out with a gen 5 26 that works with the 19?
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

Quote Originally Posted by 5pins View Post
    I didn't know this. I wonder if the will come out with a gen 5 26 that works with the 19?
    The 19 and 26 already had the same lug design, the 17 was the odd one, now the same as the 19 and 26 in it's Gen 5 form, which I'd presume the 26 would stay the same come Gen 5 for itself.

As a taxpayer I would like to see the contract going to a US based company. Would it be a bad thing if S&W or Ruger won this contract?

User Tag List