Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: RFI is out for CBP's new 9mm pistol

Quote Originally Posted by Enel View Post
    “Shall not have a...grip-actuated de-cocking device.”
    I guess the P7 is out.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Site Supporter
    Yup. The only pistol I can think of that meets the modularity requirements is the Sig P320 family. Sadly.

At least the drop testing requirements are robust.
    A chassis style pistol ala the P320 and APX is not mandatory.

4.1.10.4 Chassis style systems are permissible. If chassis system is utilized, all tools required to remove the chassis’ fire control group shall be shipped with every pistol purchased.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Berretta APX ?
    The section about no external parts moving during trigger press might preclude APX due to that little teat on top of the slide. Easy manufacturing fix?

I'd sure as heck like to see the compact and sub- grip sizes come to market.

The way I read it they left the door open for any manufacturer. Some of the things do help Sig. but I do not think that was a design more of a coincidence for Sig. Glock has been making some interesting changes lately. Would not surprise me if they did for this. Hopefully the fbi tests play a factor also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    While there is a lot of government contracting regulation in this (I am well acquainted with the process, although with stuff a lot bigger than a pistol.) I also see a lot of elitism.
    Agency brass says to other bureaus "My gun is more modern than yours."
    Face, it, everybody and his brother makes a glock (Generic term for striker fired plastic pistol. There are S&W glocks, HK glocks, SA glocks, Sig glocks, Walther glocks, Beretta glocks, even Glock glocks.) Any would get the job done without a long drawn out process. Send your best man to a gun show and let him pick.
    Actually they sent a very thorough survey to all their armed personnel asking what they wanted in their next sidearm. I was very impressed. It even asked about red dots for the handguns.

I think Beretta could have a decent shot at this, and if this becomes a full on procurement process, Beretta is certainly capable of delivering. I also noted the generality of the specifications surround whether or not the system had to be a chassis style. However, Beretta already has experience in getting a reliable sub-compact, striker-fired gun using the same basic APX technology in the Nano. They have had some time to iron that part out, so I don't think they'll have an issue incorporating their research into the APX down into a smaller framed subcompact. The G19-sized APX compact is also supposed to be "good to go" already, but not released publically. Beretta can also easily do the MOS/Red Dot cut on their slides (as some aftermarket gunsmiths already do).

As a bit of a Beretta fanboi, I'd like to see Beretta take a really good crack at this one and hit it out of the park. This seems like the opportunity they've been waiting to capitalize on with their APX, as others have said. I've also never quite fallen in love with the P320, and after the fiasco, I'm not really any more in love with it. If Steyr or Beretta got their modular systems a big contract, that would really push up the potential aftermarket support for those platforms, and we'd see some better competition against the P320 in the commercial space, which I'd like to see.

And I was curious about the "firing out of battery" requirement mentioned above, where you had to be able to fire once the slide went back into battery even if the trigger had been pulled out of battery. Is this a common feature? I just tried it on my APX and I was pleasantly surprised to see that this worked fine, but the above post is saying that the Steyr doesn't work like that?

I found the requirement against the cutout in the front of the grip for Glocks to be entertaining.

I really would like to see the M&P 2.0 do well in this. Pistol #3 could be a 1.0 compact with the new updates.

Not sure if anyone has details as to why the M&P was dropped from the MHS testing though.

Quote Originally Posted by Father of 3 View Post
    Not sure if anyone has details as to why the M&P was dropped from the MHS testing though.
    I think we all would like to know that.

Yup. The only pistol I can think of that meets the modularity requirements is the Sig P320 family. Sadly.

At least the drop testing requirements are robust.
    Sadly? Do we have an axe to grind?
    US Navy Veteran
    1961-1965

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Father of 3 View Post
    I really would like to see the M&P 2.0 do well in this. Pistol #3 could be a 1.0 compact with the new updates.

Rumor is the 2.0 Compact was submitted for the FBI and DHS / ICE testing but like the MHS test info it is all covered by NDA’s.

I’d like to see CBP get the best pistol for their officers regardless of what it it is.

You will hear about who ever passes the testing, and then about who ever from among the winners gets the contract.

User Tag List