Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Current State of O/U Shotguns

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    Yeah, I’ve thought about a semi-auto shotgun. Given Remington’s issues the past decade I’m not sure I want to go with an 1187.
    I only said Remington cause it is a known entity and supported and inexpensive. If you are looking at it as a transition you could own it for a while and sell it for a $150 hit instead of $500 hit.
    Beretta makes the A300 for ~$600.
    I’ve also thought about just getting a 500 or 590 with Magpul furniture and adding a sling and light. Keeping the 500 and getting a 500/590 Magpul is probably the most economical way to go. Especially when you consider that a 500 doesn’t have the same Action slide tube assembly as a 590.
    Oh yeah, but if you ever go shoot a game where there are true doubles you will be trying to figure it out, not wanting to pump the gun.

Site Supporter
    I'm not an over-under expert, but my Franchi instinct 20 gauge has been a good gun for me. It functions fine for hunting, and I don't sweat scratches or anything like that.

I really like using an over-under for upland hunting. It's very easy to clear out, check the barrel for obstructions, carry in an obviously safe fashion on roads, across ditches, etc. I'd stick with a pump or semi auto for waterfowl hunting though. One thing I've realized with my Franchi is that if the gun gets wet I have to take the stock off and get the moisture out of the action, or else it will rust up. Plus, easier to load a pump gun in a blind.

I think one reason over-unders are expensive is that they are like revolvers -- they are like watches on the inside. Pumps, in particular, are much less complicated.

I don't know the current crop, but when I was shooting regulation ATA trap, I tried out a Citori. I decided I preferred the softer recoil of my old gas gun and sold it on. The guy who bought it shot it weekly, sometimes twice weekly for several years. It was pretty nearly worn out, not beyond shooting, but loosening up. So he replaced it. With a new Citori.

A friend looked at this and that for hunting, I let her shoot my few shotguns and some we could borrow. She settled on a Benelli Ultralight. No, it isn't an O/U, but it is death on pheasants. She says that at the start of a day in the field, the guys dismiss her "girlie gun" but after a while, they are interested in "trying it out" instead of their heavier guns.

Most low end O/Us are rather heavy, including Citori. I would look at a 20 gauge for upland hunting.
    Last edited by Jim Watson; 12-18-2017 at 09:25 AM.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Hmmm...it would seem that Magpul editions of the 500/590 are difficult to find these days. Were they just a limited run? If that’s the case, I might be better off doing the following, in order.

1.) Purchase Magpul SGA stock and 590 action slide tube for 500 and install (already have the MOE 590 forend).

2.) Purchase 18.5” barrel and install 28” barrel for clays.

3.) Purchase 930 and relegate modified 500 for HD duties.

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

Site Supporter
    Hmmm...it would seem that Magpul editions of the 500/590 are difficult to find these days. Were they just a limited run? If that’s the case, I might be better off doing the following, in order.

1.) Purchase Magpul SGA stock and 590 action slide tube for 500 and install (already have the MOE 590 forend).

2.) Purchase 18.5” barrel and install 28” barrel for clays.

3.) Purchase 930 and relegate modified 500 for HD duties.

I think option 2 is a good call. Not that there's anything wrong with owning lots of guns, but barrels are so easy to swap on a pump shotgun. And if your mossberg works, you can become more proficient with it, at least while you figure out what you want for a trap gun or a different hunting gun.

Quote Originally Posted by idahojess View Post
    I think option 2 is a good call. Not that there's anything wrong with owning lots of guns, but barrels are so easy to swap on a pump shotgun. And if your mossberg works, you can become more proficient with it, at least while you figure out what you want for a trap gun or a different hunting gun.
    I think you misunderstand my intentions. Option #2 is actually Step #2 of 3 total steps.

User Tag List