Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Current State of O/U Shotguns

Current State of O/U Shotguns

I’m thinking of taking my current Mossberg 500 and turning it into an 18” HD shotty with the standard light, sling, sights, and Magpul stock/forend accoutrements. As such, I’d like to leave it in that configuration for it’s role and get a sporting/hunting O/U to fill that role.

What are some good options for that which aren’t ridiculously astronomical?

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

What is astronomical to one man isn't necessarily to another. To fairly and honestly give suggestions, what kind of budget are you looking at?

To me, $1500 is a healthy chunk of change. I'm saving to pick up a Benelli M2 Field. But, I have friends who own Caesar Guerini Tempios ($3800 give or take) and Beretta DT11s (around $8-10K).

That’s right, shotguns can command a rather opulent price range. Let’s say, preferably, under $1,000.

With the caveat that this is only based on my experience working box store gun retail ~2 years back since I don't own an O/U yet (waiting until I graduate and get a "real" job so I can justify the expense...) my run down of the not-ridiculously priced ones:

Beretta Silver Pigeon series (retail ~$2,000): I never sold one of these but they were my favorite to show customers because they oozed traditional old man European charm. The closest I came to selling one involved a customer looking at all 7 we had in inventory, noticing minute errors in the finish, and complaining to my manager. Take away from that is for $2k you're still getting a mass produced gun and it might have tool marks.

Benelli 828 (retail ~$2,200): The young, modern swarthy alternative to the Beretta. Super new (Benelli introduced this model while I was working retail) carbon fiber looking and lightweight, compared to the other O/Us feels like comparing an M14 to an AR-15. Sold many of them because they were the new thing.

Browning Citori (retail ~$2,000, my store had lots of really nice used ones starting at $900 and going up to 10k) I have a soft spot for this model because it was the first shotgun I ever shot clays with as a kid.

There are lots of rebranded Turkish imports (CZ, Stevens, etc) and some of them feel pretty good, but I have a hard time recommending them because they're still the price of a Benelli or Beretta semi-auto. That being said, I would love to hear from someone more knowledgeable on the Turkish imports because they have the potential to be a very good value.

Oh and don't buy a display model unless you get an awesome discount. All of the display models where I worked had were routinely handled idiotically for years by both customers and employees and never cleaned to the point where they all started developing barrel rust from the felt on the display rack.

You might luck into a used Beretta 686 for $1k, you shouldn't have too much trouble finding a used Citori. What you're going to miss out at your price point is being able to buy a new or used shotgun from a shop that can fit a shotgun to you or start you off with a pretty good match.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

Entry level O/U is tough.
    But used is probably a good option. Some people buy stuff and shoot it a little and it doesn't miraculously improve their ability so they trade for something that might.
    Somewhere there is probably a well stocked store that takes trades.
    These guys are good:
    http://www.jaquas.com/
    Even if you are nowhere close their entire new and used inventory is online.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

THIS:

These guys are good:
    http://www.jaquas.com/
    Even if you are nowhere close their entire new and used inventory is online.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Ok, so I must be missing something here. Why are the vast majority of these O/U shotguns so damn expensive? Surely they can’t be that much more expensive to manufacture and build over a pump or semi-auto...

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    Ok, so I must be missing something here. Why are the vast majority of these O/U shotguns so damn expensive? Surely they can’t be that much more expensive to manufacture and build over a pump or semi-auto...

I agree, and I don't know. You are feeling the same fustrating realization I did.
    It really is a low volume product, there is no 500/870 equivalent, even Ruger quit the market, twice.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Go pick up a 686 Beretta Silver Pigeon..... shoot a round of skeet with it and then do the same with any autoloader or pump and you will understand the allure....I have also handled a couple of the Turkish guns and their fit and finish is not even close IMO. You get what you pay for.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

User Tag List