Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A Great Miracle Happened There

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    potato latkes
    Sour cream or applesauce?
    Dad was applesauce, the rest of us (all the way up the tree to Bubbie K) were sour cream.
    Dad was an outcast

Sweet potato latkes are even awesomer.

My Italian-roots wife makes an awesome matzoh ball soup. Won over my mom with it.
    Last edited by RoyGBiv; 12-13-2017 at 10:51 AM.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Sour cream or applesauce?
    Dad was applesauce, the rest of us (all the way up the tree to Bubbie K) were sour cream.
    Dad was an outcast

Sweet potato latkes are even awesomer.

My Italian-roots wife makes an awesome matzoh ball soup. Won over my mom with it.
    Sour cream for tradition but my wife likes both and why not? I haven't had a good matzoh ball soup in many a year. (With enough salt to raise your blood pressure.)

Just keep borscht and gefilte fish far from my location and we're okay...for the most part, though I'm sure I can think of any number of other such ethnic foods I skeeved.

My grandmother on my father's side always cooked more on the Greek / Turkish side of the ledger and that was always my favorite. (She was born over there and came to the States as a young girl via France.) I could never get enough of her cooking, and simple desserts.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    I watched Fiddler on the Roof yesterday, does that count?

Anyway, Happy Chanukah!
    My grandmother and her sisters cried through Fiddler on the Roof....has a bit different meaning when you were being ethnically cleansed. The Nazi's finished everyone else in the family left in Slutsk.

Tom, thanks for reposting. Note....the Temple was retaken from Greeks, and not from "Palestinians".
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    My grandmother and her sisters cried through Fiddler on the Roof....has a bit different meaning when you were being ethnically cleansed. The Nazi's finished everyone else in the family left in Slutsk.
    My great-grandfather and great-grandmother on my mother's side came from somewhere in the Polish / Ukrainian area or general environs but nobody living is quite sure exactly where. They were victims of the pogroms and came to the U.S. where my great-grandfather became the only Jewish longshoreman (at the time) on the Boston docks. I was told he pretty much fought daily, (he was a tough bastard), and considered it a major step up from the old country. (The other set of great-grandparents were Catholics from Sicily.)

It's a hollow feeling to hear stories of family members that were victims of the "final solution". My cousin's father in Paris, 1942. It was chilling to see his name inscribed at the Parisian Holocaust Memorial.

I also found a site some years ago where I was able to view the names (and applicable dates) of relations from Salonika, Greece that were deported to and exterminated at Auschwitz and other camps. It is both chilling and blood boiling at the same time.

We need more Maccabees.

Never again!
    Last edited by blues; 12-13-2017 at 12:39 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    Many more to all. The Hanukah Gelt (we have Lake Champlain versions) and potato pancakes are playing havoc with my figure!

I made three gallons of matzah ball soup, 15 pounds of potatoes worth of latkes, and a giant meat loaf for last nights Chanukkah feast. We may not be rich, but we eat like we are when we celebrate the holidays. I wish everyone a Happy and Festive Chanukkah.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    I watched Fiddler on the Roof yesterday, does that count?
    That's a reasonable facsimile of my family's history. But about a third want back to the Old Country and disappeared in the Holocaust.

Sent from my NSA-approved tracking device via Tapatalk
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

I hope that all are having a good Hanukkah!

Regarding the Holocaust, late in his life, my father-in-law finally started to share more of his experiences in occupied Poland. His being part of the AK had not been a family secret, but some of the details had been kept secret for decades. I had known he had great sympathy for Jewish people, and liked Jewish foods, but among the details emerging late in his life, he confided that he had helped Jews hide from the Nazis, and more-than-strongly hinted that his future wife was one of those he helped to hide.
    Last edited by Rex G; 12-13-2017 at 04:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DallasBronco View Post
    Thanks for reposting that, Tom. As a Christian, I've never known the reason behind the Jewish holiday.
    I never knew this either.

True warrior spirit right there, to the very core.

These lessons should not buried and whitewashed in "Kinder and Gentler" history.

They should be taught to children and used as examples of standing up and protecting those who cannot protect themselves.

User Tag List