Thread: Need input on 280 Akley Improved

Site Supporter

Need input on 280 Akley Improved

Just traded for a Kimber 84L Montana (current model) in 280 AI. Looking for advice on loading 280AI - mainly insights and experiences on buying 280AI brass versus fire forming AI brass from 280 Remington.

Site Supporter
    No data, but that's supposed to be a very cool caliber! I had a .280 that I stupidly traded off years ago and it's on page one of my "Book of Tears".
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Site Supporter
    Good news is Hornady makes 280AI brass for sale now. I have the Hornady 280AI brass and Lee dies. Waiting on projectiles to arrive from Nosler Pro Shop. Hope to load over the holidays.

Like Wayne, I foolishly sold my .280 and I've been thinking about .280AI ever since. I'm not sure what you want to know specifically about brass forming, but during the component drought I was forming 7mm-08 and .358 Win from .308. .280 to .280AI is pretty simple.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Site Supporter
    I was not expecting 280AI brass availability at Hornady pricing so I am good now. Also 280 AI factory ammo is more available than I thought with Hornady offering their Precision Hunter line in 280AI now.

I had a 700 rechambered to 280 AI after Kenny Jarrett started getting a lot of press in the 90's.

Back then a rifle chambered to Ackley's standard would be chambered a bit short and when loading regularly 280 brass there would require a forceful bolt closure as the shoulder was pushed into the front of the chamber. Mine wasn't chambered correctly and I had problems with really short brass life with 280 brass. I had to neck down 30-06 brass. 280 AI is now SAAMI, so I don't know how fire forming works, but if I had a SAAMI chamber I would just buy SAAMI brass, if it didn't work with SAAMI brass I'd get the barrel set back and the chamber cut correctly. I'm not into the intricacies of precision rifle reloading and quickly departed with that rifle.

It's a great round and it's about as efficient as a 7mm round can get in terms of powder to velocity.
    Last edited by txdpd; 12-20-2017 at 09:37 PM.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

Site Supporter
    Lee's manual--Modern Reloading--has data. I have it. What do you wish to know?

User Tag List