Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bullets forward vs. bullets out mag pouches?

So I have a couple of hours of dry fire in. I find I'm getting a consistent deep grab with good index with bullets out where I would often grab shallow with bullets forward. It does seem that the mag is rotated ever so slightly in my palm from what I'm used to as I'm finding that even with a good deep grab the mag is not cleanly hitting the mag well. Did some Burketts and I could see it. Likely just needs reps.

The back pouch has taken some getting used to. Angled it to the front a bit which helped. I must be torquing it as I've popped the tension leaf spring out a few times. (Double Alpha Racer pouches).

The plan is to dry fire the rest of the week then shoot on the weekend and see what the timer says. My best load on 4 aces last week was 1.30 which I know is too slow. In truth my impression is that from pouch No. 1 it's probably a wash. It does feel that I can get a much better grab on No's 2 and 3 as my hand doesn't catch on the forward mags. We'll see...

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    For USPSA Production, I use Ghost pouches, bullets forward. I've been running bullets forward forever, so it would take a lot for me to change. But, I have worked hard on my reloads and that's probably my best skill (e.g. 4 Aces in 2.09s), so I think I can comment objectively. I actually find bullets forward more ergonomic--especially for surrender starts--and that's a big deal on classifiers. I also like bullets forward much better for pouches 2-5. As my hand moves backward from an empty pouch 1, it naturally finds the next full pouch.

As Lon and bofe954 said, you can pack more pouches in using bullets out. With my 32" waist, that would be an advantage. I can't get more than 5 pouches comfortably using bullets forward, and #5 is at 6:00 on my belt.

Running some pouches forward and some out? I suppose you could try that, but it doesn't seem ideal to me.

Whatever you choose, you need a blazing fast reload from pouch 1. Your other pouches just need to work for reliable reloads while moving.
    Thanks CF, that makes a lot of sense to me.

I'm restarting back in USPSA shortly; just local matches here in Clearwater at Wyoming Antelope Club. I've migrated from a VP9 to a Glock 19, so I took the opportunity to get new Ghost pouches and was wondering about mounting them forward or out.

I decided to mount them bullets forward, for the above info, as well as existing reps with bullets forward with the BT dual mag pouches I previously used.
    Last edited by RJ; 12-14-2017 at 04:28 PM.

I would love someone to make a pouch that holds the bullets 30-45 degrees out instead of 90 degrees out.

Bullets forward in Ghost pouches for me. I only carry 4 spares on my belt so I just need to get creative if there's a silly high round count stage.

Makes no difference I think.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post
    I would love someone to make a pouch that holds the bullets 30-45 degrees out instead of 90 degrees out.
    I bought Guga Ribas pouches just for that reason. Dunno if they got to 45 degrees but I did set them at a forward angle.
    Unfortunately, pouches themselves sucked and the execution was much worse than the idea behind it.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    I bought Guga Ribas pouches just for that reason. Dunno if they got to 45 degrees but I did set them at a forward angle.
    Unfortunately, pouches themselves sucked and the execution was much worse than the idea behind it.
    I’ve thought about trying the aluminum DAA pouches for the same reason. I currently use the plastic DAA and like them a lot more than the ghost pouches I used to use, but I wish I could angle them away slightly without going full 90 degrees.

I swapped to bullets out a while back. It took me a while to adjust. Ghost mags - back plates don’t let you put the mags any closer together, but there is more space between the pouches. I angle the 1st 3 forward, then 2 vertical, and a 6th is bullets forward. I usually use that one for my starting magazine.

Extra mags are handy if you have to clear a malfunction and drop an extra mag, or accidentally pull out 2 mags instead of one, or for a long course loaded with steel, or whatever.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

Site Supporter
    If I were serious about Single Stack I'd probably consider bullets out...but mostly because getting six mags on a size 30 waist is frustrating

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I used bullets forward my whole life until this USPSA season when I switched to bullets out (Ghost 360). By the 2nd/3rd dry fire session I was already faster and more repeatable from bullets out orientation.

It's empirically faster if you sit down and think about the mechanics and wrist rotation required by each.

Bullets forward vs. bullets out mag pouches?

I have kinda a stupid question, so bear with me.

I am setting up my new P belt (a CR Speed) with Ghost pouches and a D/OH Holster. The belt (hopefully) arrives today.

On the pouches, I see a lot of the High Speed Low Drag guys severely angle the pouches on the belt. Mostly forward.

I’m moving up from a pair of dual BT pouches that are straight up and down.

It may not make much difference now since I suck, but are there are any guidelines on Pouch angle when setting up a new belt?

Or is it a case of trying various angles until you find whatever works for you?

Or does it not really matter?
    Last edited by RJ; 12-18-2017 at 09:29 AM.

User Tag List