Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bullets forward vs. bullets out mag pouches?

Here is an example of how what you feel may not be real.

After dry fire sessions during the week I had decided to go back to bullets forward as that's what felt comfortable. Figured I'd go ahead and do a little live fire on the weekend to confirm, but was already planning to move it all back to BF Saturday night and shoot again on Sunday.

Saturday's focus was marksmanship not gun handling, but I did a few "4 aces" at the end of the session to compare to last weekend. My best reloads out of 12 runs the week before with BF were a 1.30 and a 1.31. Those were the only ones in the 1.30's with the mean and average of 12 runs in the 1.40's. I ran it 5 times with bullets out and got (not in order) two 1.20's, a 1.27, a 1.42 bobble, and an abortion....

So despite what I felt the timer says that after only 3 practice sessions I am faster BO. As a PT I very much get how it's a more efficient move. Objectively I must be honest with myself and say that BO works. It certainly doesn't feel natural as yet, but I'm going to stay with it tracking times and see what happens.

As far as cant. I have the first 2 slightly canted back, the 3rd straight, and the 4th a bit forward. I for sure need to try different stuff in regard to this. I noticed that Stoeger's 5th is looks BF in at least one video. This might be something I try with my 4th as that grab definitely feels odd.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    I have kinda a stupid question, so bear with me.

I am setting up my new P belt (a CR Speed) with Ghost pouches and a D/OH Holster. The belt (hopefully) arrives today.

On the pouches, I see a lot of the High Speed Low Drag guys severely angle the pouches on the belt. Mostly forward.

I’m moving up from a pair of dual BT pouches that are straight up and down.

It may not make much difference now since I suck, but are there are any guidelines on Pouch angle when setting up a new belt?

Or is it a case of trying various angles until you find whatever works for you?

Or does it not really matter?

No restrictions on cant, as long as the carrier doesn't extend past the hip bone.

Most production shooters angle the first two pouches with the top (base pads) angled back and the bottom (feed lips) angled forward...

I only do 4 pouches, and use a clip-able ReadyTac pouch is good as a 5th pouch when i need it. (I also use it for IDPA)

Canting the pouches helps the wrist fall at at more natural angle - flexing the wrist to grab a pouch in front of the hip bone is slow...

Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post
    I’ve thought about trying the aluminum DAA pouches for the same reason. I currently use the plastic DAA and like them a lot more than the ghost pouches I used to use, but I wish I could angle them away slightly without going full 90 degrees.
    I HĀT those pouches!

They just feel... Wrong.

I use bullets out when I shoot production (more mags in less area) but when I shoot Carry Optics
    I can get through most stages just using one or 2 23 round mags so my CO belt is bullets forward
    I do find the Bullets out a little quicker to grab but ....really the difference is negligible (to me anyway)
    I'm not that fast with either LOL!

I started with bullet nose forward, but switched to bullet nose out just to try it. I liked it enough to keep it that way, but honestly, I don’t think it matters.

Mag Ride height matters more IMO, and I recently stuffed my mag pouches to give me more exposed mags without negatively affecting retention. I really like that change and it gives me a faster, more consistent index on the mag as it comes out of the pouch.
    "Next time somebody says USPSA or IPSC is all hosing, junk punch them." - Les Pepperoni
    --

I wonder how much of the “bullets out moar better” thing is just that people tend to practice more after a change?

I’ve changed guns several times over the years and generally found a quick improvement in scores but then an eventual settling back to where i was. I’ve since attributed that to the ramp up in practice time with new hotness causing my performance to improve and my eventual boredom and reverting to old practice routine to be the cause of the back-slide.

IVe gone to these now

https://www.facebook.com/Snapmag-1363393857101512/

And while I appreciate that they look like a gimmick they actually work bloody well. They're getting very popular here. With 15 round Production and Production Optics one very rarely reloads more than twice in a stage and this makes both of those from the same spot.
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I wonder how much of the “bullets out moar better” thing is just that people tend to practice more after a change?

I’ve changed guns several times over the years and generally found a quick improvement in scores but then an eventual settling back to where i was. I’ve since attributed that to the ramp up in practice time with new hotness causing my performance to improve and my eventual boredom and reverting to old practice routine to be the cause of the back-slide.
    After the first one I think they're legitimately easier to get a consistent grip on. Just not worth me retraining and changing the belt around because lazy and because CCW.

Of course you may be right as well, change is fun and fuels a desire to train.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

For me, the performance difference in position between BO and trad, is not enough to outweigh commonality with my EDC mag position. What is important to me, is that the mag pouches are cut down enough to give me a good grip on the magazine. For that, I really like Blade-Tech competition mag pouches.

Name:  5B9446CC-DE51-45DC-97F7-92C35CFD347C.jpg
Views: 1070
Size:  58.9 KB
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List