Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Help Me Plan a Rebuild of my Father's 1911 -

Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    We still need pics. Pics man, pics.

My plan would be... contact Jim Garthwaite, tell him what I have, hear him out, and send him the pistol if he'll take the work.

http://www.garthwaite.com
    Jim does great work. I might contact him and see about tuning the gun up a bit and cutting checkering on the front strap. Maybe keep it simple...

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    Another smith that could help out is CT Brian l. He made his name by working on and with the smaller sized 1911s, so he would have a pretty good idea of what could, should and should not be done with your dad's 1911.

Oh, and yeah, some pics please :-)
    CT Brian does great work! But is only taking orders for full house customs currently. But you're right in that I might reach out to him for a consultation on getting and keeping the gun running well.

Quote Originally Posted by EVP View Post
    I agree with the others, i would leave it alone just as he gave it to you.

If you get te 1911 bug, start fresh with a government model build and do as you desire.
    Oh man, I've had, over the years, a bunch of different 1911s. At one point I had six at the same time. But I sold them all about 6 years ago to help my wife pay for grad school (worth it, she makes more money than me now). And I've had 1911 withdraws since. I know this is the restart of a burning itch and I shouldn't get started, but it's too late. I've already scoped out parts and leather and started thinking and that means...I've got the 1911'itis again. The 'itis is tough to beat.

Site Supporter
    YMMV Greatly,

I would leave it be on the outside completely save sights I could see and hit with at speed.

Internally, I would freshen up as needed, fully understanding that it might never be fully reliable with a modern hollow point. As it feeds FMJ, reliably, perhaps the EFMJ offerings out there might be a solution for "carry" ammo.

I would be reluctant to checker it, a strip of anti slip 3M stair tape or the Wilson slip on checked front strap would be where I would go.

If you are going to give a 1911 smith real money and you do not presently have any 1911s, build on a 5 inch, all steel 1911 for your first two guns (trainer #1, Carry gun set exactly the same way as #2), THEN do what ever to whatever "19111" gun you have, want, need or desire.

Esmerelda would be my stop for wood grips. Great holster choice abound, the leather guys that post here, Milt Sparks and Kramer are places I would look.

Again, YMMV greatly. It is wonderful you have something so meaningful from your father.

DB
    Last edited by vcdgrips; 12-12-2017 at 02:19 PM.

Hard to see, but the right side of the slide reads, "Colt Combat Commander". I thought I remembered the gun having a checkered mainspring housing, it doesn't. You can also see the frame is a little short, that is a Colt Officer's model, 6-round magazine fully seated... - I wonder if this thing has a standard Officer's/Compact size main spring housing?

Name:  IMG_2430 copy.jpg
Views: 461
Size:  66.5 KB

Name:  IMG_2431 copy.jpg
Views: 473
Size:  87.9 KB

Thanks for the pics. If it was mine, I would leave it the way it is as a memory of my Dad.

There is a lot of unusual about that gun. I foresee a large can of worms.

That thing is bad ass. I would bet it would be very hard to find someone willing to work on it.
    Ignore Alien Orders

JAD is right. Not many big name smiths would take that. Your dad live on the west coast, by any chance?
    Last edited by theJanitor; 12-13-2017 at 02:03 AM.

I'd call CCR Refinishing and tell them what you're looking for in a finish job. They do some good work and should be able to offer suggestions if you send pics. CCR website
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

Based on those pics, if I were going to do anything to it, I’d refinish it. I’d completely leave everything functionally as-is.

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nesbitt View Post
    Thanks for the pics. If it was mine, I would leave it the way it is as a memory of my Dad.
    Me too and rock it with hardball.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I agree with others who have said leave it basically like it was. Updated coatings and what not just maybe not stray to far.

I think it is a awesome thing you are doing! Looking forward to the outcome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Tag List