Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Help Me Plan a Rebuild of my Father's 1911 -

I agree with others who have said leave it basically like it was. Updated coatings and what not just maybe not stray to far.

I think it is a awesome thing you are doing! Looking forward to the outcome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with others who have said leave it basically like it was. Updated coatings and what not just maybe not stray to far.

I think it is a awesome thing you are doing! Looking forward to the outcome!

After consideration.

I'm leaning towards - bead blasting the slide (since it's stainless) to clear the rust. None of the rust is deep or pitted (I always used to maintain it for him, and that meant removing the surface rust). - If I can't get the pits out or a desirable finish, I'll send it out for refinishing.

Next, one of the Wilson Combat "EZ" magwells, to help close the gap at the bottom of the grip (and offer a little more purchase for me).

Wilson guide-rod setup with 22-24 pound spring.

47O mags

Load it with Pow'RBall.

Call it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nesbitt View Post
    I wouldn't do much but refinish it. 1980's cool would be a silver colored frame with a blued slide. Then you need a Summer Special to carry it in.
    NP3+ the frame and black Roguard on the slide (with NP3+internals) would be a close match to this look.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Basically - done. Going to add slip-on serrations for the backstrap. And I'll have to machine the slide to accept the Wilson guide-rod.

I decided lightly polish the slide and frame. I just hit it with a buffing wheel on the dremel.

Name:  IMG_2474.JPG
Views: 380
Size:  29.9 KB

Name:  IMG_2475.JPG
Views: 373
Size:  34.2 KB

I forgot to show my dad's holster...and old school Don Hume Summer-Special type, originally for a 5" gun, dad always liked the longer holster to keep from getting poked.

Name:  IMG_2473.JPG
Views: 370
Size:  43.2 KB

Name:  IMG_2472.JPG
Views: 363
Size:  39.4 KB

Final piece...some glow-in-the-dark orange paint and a Sharpied up rear sight...

Name:  IMG_2478.JPG
Views: 336
Size:  20.8 KB

Looks beautiful! Well done!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That came out nice. I'd bet your dad would be proud of you and what you did to refresh it. Well done!

Very Nice!
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

Site Supporter
    Nicely done. Looking forward to the shooting report. You will no doubt enjoy your Dad’s gun with your own touches.

Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post

30 LPI front-strap checkering
    - Might be too fine for aluminum.
    My thought exactly!

User Tag List