Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Psoriasis

My wife's friend has her own business making all natural tallow balm. She's had several clients who've used it successfully on their psoriasis, including my 7yo son.

If you're interested in trying an all natural, home made, alternative product shoot me a PM and I'll get you set up.

If you truly have 60-75% BSA (Body surface area) covered with psoriasis, then a "Biologic" is very appropriate. There are many options among biologics and although Humira is a very good choice, it is not necessarily what I would prescribe (I am a dermatologist). My first choice is Cosentyx because it is much more specific in its immunologic mechanism compared to older medications like Humira. It is so specific that routine lab monitoring is not necessary for most patients. If you wish to avoid injections then Otezla is an oral medication alternative. However, I do not think that it works as well as COsentyx and there are some gastrointestinal symptoms for many patients.

Talk to your MD about Cosentyx or if you are in the Spring, TX area and need a second opinion then let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by Thn9mm View Post
    If you truly have 60-75% BSA (Body surface area) covered with psoriasis, then a "Biologic" is very appropriate. There are many options among biologics and although Humira is a very good choice, it is not necessarily what I would prescribe (I am a dermatologist). My first choice is Cosentyx because it is much more specific in its immunologic mechanism compared to older medications like Humira. It is so specific that routine lab monitoring is not necessary for most patients. If you wish to avoid injections then Otezla is an oral medication alternative. However, I do not think that it works as well as COsentyx and there are some gastrointestinal symptoms for many patients.

Talk to your MD about Cosentyx or if you are in the Spring, TX area and need a second opinion then let me know.
    Thank you so much, ya Humira has completely changed my quality of life and ability to perform my job without feeling embarrassed (I am a educator by trade and often teach infornt of adults and students, red spots on my face would often leave me embarrassed and nervous). I have asked several people this but what is the risk with biologics to major organs such as the heart, liver, and kidneys? Are they effected by alcohol, most answers have pointed towards no but I am curious.

I had eczema when I was younger. It is pretty much under control now. I don't have any advice because my treatments were decades ago.

An experience I had in High School: A new word we had was eczema and a girl was asked to use it in a sentence. Her reply: Bill Nesbitt has eczema. I sort of slid down in my seat.

The risk of biologics to major organs (heart, liver, kidneys) is low, that is we have not seen it yet (not saying that we will). The main risk of biologics, depending on their effects on the immune system, is an increased risk of serious infections and cancer. All biologics affect the immune system but some do so broadly, while others are more specific. Humira has a broad effect, therefore it requires more monitoring and has more risks for serious infections and cancer. Cosentyx and others like it is more specific, and therefore requires almost no monitoring and does not carry the black box warning like Humira. Think shotgun vs AR with 1-6X variable optic rifle. Humira is shotgun approach and COsentyx is AR with scope.

The risk of biologics to major organs (heart, liver, kidneys) is low, that is we have not seen it yet (not saying that we will). The main risk of biologics, depending on their effects on the immune system, is an increased risk of serious infections and cancer. All biologics affect the immune system but some do so broadly, while others are more specific. Humira has a broad effect, therefore it requires more monitoring and has more risks for serious infections and cancer. Cosentyx and others like it is more specific, and therefore requires almost no monitoring and does not carry the black box warning like Humira. Think shotgun vs AR with 1-6X variable optic rifle. Humira is shotgun approach and COsentyx is AR with scope.
    Thank you for the info, I will be bringing this up and looking into it’s viability for my treatment.

Site Supporter
    I love me some Pistol Forum. So much good stuff.

My 7 year old was prescribed Humira injections biweekly for chronic and severe joint pain. She came to us one night and showed us a "bug bite" in the crease of her leg that was the size of a golf ball. It was staph. Doc's recommended we continue the Humira because it was helping with her joint pain. We got the staph cleared up with antibiotics and a few weeks later it returned. They did the full body scrub on her and another round of antibiotics and that was the end of the Humira. Really sucks because it was helping her pain but the risk was too high.

Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    My 7 year old was prescribed Humira injections biweekly for chronic and severe joint pain. She came to us one night and showed us a "bug bite" in the crease of her leg that was the size of a golf ball. It was staph. Doc's recommended we continue the Humira because it was helping with her joint pain. We got the staph cleared up with antibiotics and a few weeks later it returned. They did the full body scrub on her and another round of antibiotics and that was the end of the Humira. Really sucks because it was helping her pain but the risk was too high.
    I have had one infected cut that I had to get antibiotics for because my body wasn't fighting it off on its own. That was kind of the moment that I decided I really needed to think hard about what I was injecting myself with biweekly.

I mentioned it previously but it was buried among some other points - VaniCream. I see good results on the web for both eczema and psoriasis. It works, apparently, by holding in body moisture and shielding skin from irritants. If I apply it to my hands (the site of my eczema) several times a day after I've washed them, I am asymptomatic - no rash. It's cheap enough to try, I think - a pound runs about $14 from Amazon (I get mine by prescription). I have reapply it several times a day because I wash my hands frequently.

User Tag List