Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's Talk Shotgun Training

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post

Fiocci makes the best dummy rounds, IMO. I've tried just about everything to this point and so far I'm most pleased with them because the case head seems more durable than other dummy rounds I've used.

The bottom line, though, is that dummies are consumables. Doesn't matter what you use, you will eventually break them. How long they last depends on how much you use them. It's usually the rim that goes, either being flattened (and made almost razor sharp in the process) but the leading edge of the shell can also become deformed and cause the dummy to get stuck in the mag tube or the chamber. AZooms seem like they would last longer but the rims on them get chewed up pretty quickly. Fiocci's dummies are cheap, effective, and readily available.

I really like Brownells' Dummies. They are weighted properly and seem durable as hell. My only complaint is that they look at a quick glance like real ammo. It seems ridiculously stupid to me to not color them differently in an obvious way.
    For info about training or to contact me:
    Immediate Action Combatives

Let's see.....

Started with a guy from SEAL Team 5 getting all the stuff they were getting from John Shaw at MISS
    Police Academy....I was a shooter so I spent many lunches shooting shotgun with our FBI SWAT instructor that worked with the Academy range staff
    In Service training
    LAPD "D" Platoon with Larry Mudgett, Ralph Morton, Scotty Reitz and John Helms from SIS (This was hugely influential)
    POST Firearms Instructor
    SIG Academy Shotgun Instructor (40 hours)
    GSGI Shotgun (all SEAL's)
    NRA LE Shotgun Instructor (44 hours)
    Bill Jeans Shotgun
    Rob Haught....twice
    ITTS with Scott Reitz
    Also shot a lot with Michael Harries (API Staff) in SoCal and competitively in LE matches, and 3 Gun.

I am sure there are others I forgot to list. Done thousands of high risk searches and operations with the 12ga. Shot a carjacker with one. Also operationally killed a street light with a Brenneke. I've taught a ton of it. It is REALLY my thing for long guns. The Internet thinks I am antiquated, which is probably true, but I will still take a shotgun over just about anything for a majority of situations I will likely ever need a gun for.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    Roger, that is why I included the quote. My comment was just shotgun info and not intended to disparage civilian usage.
    In addition to breaching, the shotgun sees use in military roles which more closely mirror civilian / LE use such as Navy / Marine security details and ship defense parties.

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    Let's see.....

Started with a guy from SEAL Team 5 getting all the stuff they were getting from John Shaw at MISS
    Police Academy....I was a shooter so I spent many lunches shooting shotgun with our FBI SWAT instructor that worked with the Academy range staff
    In Service training
    LAPD "D" Platoon with Larry Mudgett, Ralph Morton, Scotty Reitz and John Helms from SIS (This was hugely influential)
    POST Firearms Instructor
    SIG Academy Shotgun Instructor (40 hours)
    GSGI Shotgun (all SEAL's)
    NRA LE Shotgun Instructor (44 hours)
    Bill Jeans Shotgun
    Rob Haught....twice
    ITTS with Scott Reitz
    Also shot a lot with Michael Harries (API Staff) in SoCal and competitively in LE matches, and 3 Gun.

I am sure there are others I forgot to list. Done thousands of high risk searches and operations with the 12ga. Shot a carjacker with one. Also operationally killed a street light with a Brenneke. I've taught a ton of it. It is REALLY my thing for long guns. The Internet thinks I am antiquated, which is probably true, but I will still take a shotgun over just about anything for a majority of situations I will likely ever need a gun for.
    DB, you are my shotgun bucket list. I hope we end up in or close to Texas on our first contract, because I'm driving to you for an edjamacation and that dinner at Hard 8.

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    Hate to sound like a dorky fan boy, but that is just super cool!

Only formal training was with Ben DeWalt of Onsight Firearms Training Spring 2017.

In 2018, already signed up for Givens' one day class in VA.

Bucket list would be Dagga Boy and I'd definitely do TCinVA's course(s).

I used the A-zoom snap caps for dry work/manipulations at home. No fancy drills I do at the range (I literally have to go to one range that ONLY allows 00 buck and a completely different range to shoot slugs!).

What gear is needed to participate effectively in a shotgun class?

All I have seen listed is dummy rounds.

Shotgun is obvious. Sling is likely.

Dump pouch? Stripper deals for the belt to hold shells? Side saddle? Bandoleer? Pt belt?

Seriously, what all does one NEED before a quality class? I don't want to buy useless shit that I dump later, but in also don want to show up without necessary learning tools.

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post

Dump pouch? Stripper deals for the belt to hold shells? Side saddle? Bandoleer? Pt belt?

Seriously, what all does one NEED before a quality class? I don't want to buy useless shit that I dump later, but in also don want to show up without necessary learning tools.
    Sling is a must IMO as is a side saddle but since my Aug. tuneup w/ DB, I replaced my SS w/ an Aridus universal carrier (w/ 3 spares) & feel GTG w/ this.

50/50 on a dump pouch as I use the cargo pocket on my BDU’s for spare shells to feed the spares or just to top off my gauge.

Slight lane veer but since my 1st SG class w/ DB in 2014 the only other men I’d liked to catch are Scott & Rob, as I started w/ Clint Smith in 1999ish & caught Tom a few yrs ago. Def. wish I was as fortunate as GJM & could have caught Louie Awerbuck as he did but feel VERY fortunate to have Casanova (aka DB) nearby & the superb facility he & Wayne use.
    Last edited by OldRunner/CSAT Neighbor; 12-12-2017 at 12:15 AM.

I used an SOE 12 gauge micro rig, half a dozen velcro shell cards, Extreme Gear Labs dump pouch and BFG padded VCAS sling in classes with Rob Haught and Louis Awerbuck. I was happy with them.

Probably instructor dependent. See list of required items. I've taken DB's class twice. That's it. The biggest thing to learn is feeding the beast.

My only shotgun context is home defense. As with all home defense, you'll probably be going to "your war" with what you have on/in the gun, so that's all I brought. I recognize that the dump pouch wont be there if I ever use this thing for realzies. The (not required) dump pouch is super helpful for keeping up with the flow.

The first time I attended, I brought:
    -18"(I think) 870 with an extended tube. Bead sight. I added Magpul forward sling mount for a two point sling.
    -dump pouch.
    -required ammo.

The next year, Same stuff, plus:
    -Magpul SGA, primarily because the shotgun flopped around when slung from factory point. Big improvement over factory
    -VC Big Dome Safety. Big improvement over factory
    -IFAK, because I took a medical class.

Next year, Same stuff, plus:
    -forward mounted RDS.
    -sidesaddle.
    -Fab defense forend on JLW's recommendation. X300u.
    We'll see how that goes.

I think there's some value in training with a KISS shotgun before adding RDS, side saddle, etc.
    David S.

User Tag List