Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's Talk Shotgun Training

Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    Can someone explain the process for a slug changeover on a Beretta 1301?
    Disregard. Found the answer in the 1301 thread. Same as Benelli.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Can someone explain the process for a slug changeover on a Beretta 1301?
    The 1301 has a shell cutoff which means that unless the trigger has been pulled you can cycle the bolt and no shells will pop out of the mag tube.

So what I do is:

1. Grab the bolt with my right hand, pull forcefully to the rear and maintain rearward pressure. This ejects the shell in the chamber and holds it open for the slug
    2. Using my left hand (because my right is still pulling the gun back into my shoulder via the bolt handle) grab the slug from my side saddle and put it in just like I would run an emergency reload
    3. Put my left hand back on the forend and release the bolt, reacquire sights, and fire

This is fast.

This is not necessarily going to be great while you are moving.

If you are on the move, the best methodology is to make some room in the mag tube using the shell release button, kick those shells out with the bolt, and then use the shell release again to load the slug.
    3/15/2016

Thanks TC. I’ll give your technique a go. Trying to decide if I want the Tac or Comp.

Thanks TC. I’ll give your technique a go. Trying to decide if I want the Tac or Comp.
    Assuming you're going to add a red dot, get the Tac. The Comp uses a different mounting pattern and no one makes low mounts for it. I had an RMR on top of the Mesa Tactical shell holder and it was really awkward to use.

I'm not a big Aimpoint user (for some reason my astigmatism is more pronounced with their technology) but I think they had a rib mounted T1, which might work on the Comp.

Tangentially related: Mr. Gunsngear just released a video where he ranks the shotgun the worst of four home defense options, vs. pistol, PCC, and rifle

https://youtu.be/qL1s3twUA4o

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    Tangentially related: Mr. Gunsngear just released a video where he ranks the shotgun the worst of four home defense options, vs. pistol, PCC, and rifle

https://youtu.be/qL1s3twUA4o
    Each individual is different. In my case, the existence of a spiral staircase in my house basically dictates I need a handgun to transition from upstairs to downstairs (though my plan is basically to stay upstairs with a long gun, your head is gonna pop up at low ready height, while I'm concealed in a bedroom and it's curtains for you).

That said, I think his comparisons are a little uhh...interesting.

Handgun definitely wins on mobility, but could limit you, if you don't strap on your Bat-belt with your holster, before you head downstairs. In that scenario anything with a sling attached to it, is better.

Shotguns are not difficult to run, maybe not as easy as AR15s, but certainly not more complicated than handguns (seriously...?). Especially semi-auto shotguns.

PCC vs. AR15 - this is just do you want a 9mm or 5.56 gun (in my opinion, since most aren't buying the Ruger PCCs for defense...or shouldn't be, why complicate your life with an alternative manual of arms when AR9s work?).

But for me, I think he missed the best alternatives: pistol-caliber 'pistols', i.e., AR-pistols, CZ EVOs, blah blah blah. Why? One they are more compact than a true PCC, two shooting pistol caliber rounds they are tons quieter than a 5.56 pistol, three, they are pretty easy to suppress. If I were going to pick an accessory for defensive use I want most after a light, it's a suppressor. 147-grain HSTs from a 7-10" barrel are really close to hearing safe (close enough for auditory exclusion to work in your favor) and they hit harder out of the AR pistol than they do your Glock. Effectively, these guns are the current generation's sub-guns. We've long known that sub-guns and shotguns work quite well inside buildings and within a 100-yards.

___

Moving back to the discussion at hand - since I don't have a single shot in my life, currently, that is beyond 15-yards, I haven't even been practicing slug-select drills, because I don't think an elephant can fit in the elevator of my building. But for those of you who use a shotgun from 0-100 yards, do you have pre-determined markers that you use, or are you basically just saying, "Outside the house it's slug time?"

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Moving back to the discussion at hand - since I don't have a single shot in my life, currently, that is beyond 15-yards, I haven't even been practicing slug-select drills, because I don't think an elephant can fit in the elevator of my building. But for those of you who use a shotgun from 0-100 yards, do you have pre-determined markers that you use, or are you basically just saying, "Outside the house it's slug time?"
    It's going to depend on the situation.

If I was going to take shots possibly around livestock or pets, I'd keep slugs on the gun.
    3/15/2016

@TCinVA just wanted to say I’m currently listening to the P&S Modcast “Gauge” episode and am really enjoying your input!
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Quote Originally Posted by jwperry View Post
    Assuming you're going to add a red dot, get the Tac. The Comp uses a different mounting pattern and no one makes low mounts for it. I had an RMR on top of the Mesa Tactical shell holder and it was really awkward to use.

I'm not a big Aimpoint user (for some reason my astigmatism is more pronounced with their technology) but I think they had a rib mounted T1, which might work on the Comp.
    Agreed on all accounts, JW. For reasons you mentioned above, and a few others, I'm likely going with the Tac.

Adam is working on a CROM for the Comp, which will solve that issue.

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    It's going to depend on the situation.

If I was going to take shots possibly around livestock or pets, I'd keep slugs on the gun.
    I'm totally comfortable taking a 50 yard shot with flight control buckshot.

I switch to slugs passed that.

User Tag List