Page 16 of 23 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's Talk Shotgun Training

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    My preference is 25 yards with slugs, which puts you a few inches high at 50, and back on at 75 yards, and a few inches low at 100.
    This is what i do as well.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Enel View Post
    I assume you zero with slugs and just figure out where the buckshot will for afterwords.
    I do try to find a combination of buckshot and slugs that have the same point of impact.

Sent from my Infernal Contraption using Tapatalk
    IDPA SSP classification: Sharpshooter
    F.A.S.T. classification: Intermediate

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony1911 View Post
    I do try to find a combination of buckshot and slugs that have the same point of impact.

Sent from my Infernal Contraption using Tapatalk
    I’d like that too...
    When I zeroed my 1301T for Fed low-recoil Truball at 25 yds, here’s what I got with buckshot:
    Fed reduced recoil 00 buck: group centered about 4” low and a little right
    Fed reduced recoil 1 buck: group centered about 3” right and a little low

So that tells me that 25 yds would be a good transition point for buck to slugs.

Thoughts and suggestions?
    Last edited by GyroF-16; 12-24-2017 at 11:11 AM. Reason: Corrections to distances after consulting targets

Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    I’d like that too...
    When I zeroed my 1301T for Fed low-recoil Truball at 25 yds, here’s what I got with buckshot:
    Fed reduced recoil 00 buck: group centered about 4” low and a little right
    Fed reduced recoil 1 buck: group centered about 3” right and a little low

So that tells me that 25 yds would be a good transition point for buck to slugs.

Thoughts and suggestions?
    Doesn’t that depend upon the situation — shoot vs no-shoot targets, people vs creature, 25 coming in vs 25 going away, sighting system, inside or outside?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    Doesn’t that depend upon the situation — shoot vs no-shoot targets, people vs creature, 25 coming in vs 25 going away, sighting system, inside or outside?
    Yes- absolutely.
    Maybe a better description would be that I can’t see ANY instances where I would CHOOSE buck outside of 25 yds with my setup, as I would no longer be confident in hitting what I was aiming at.
    I absolutely agree that there are several situations where a slug would be preferable inside of 25 yds.

BTW, my sighting system is a RDS (RMO), and I don’t operate in an environment where I would be shooting beyond 25 yds indoors. (Hell, 10 yds would be a stretch indoors).
    Last edited by GyroF-16; 12-24-2017 at 11:51 AM.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    I don't listen/watch much P&S these days, but this was a good recent episode strictly about shotguns. It's over 3 hours and took me a few nights to get through it, but lots of good insight and opinions from Rob Haught and others.

A lot of high praise for the 1301 and Adam's products for it.

Thanks for posting that. I had stopped listening to P&S, but that was outstanding and very worthwhile. Also nice to see two members here participating.

Quote Originally Posted by Enel View Post
    Thanks for posting that. I had stopped listening to P&S, but that was outstanding and very worthwhile. Also nice to see two members here participating.
    I was in the same boat w you there, but this one grabbed me back. I've listened to a couple of the other more recent ones and noted what I consider an improvement. The repackaging of the ballistics episode was nice, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A few clicks above the square range.

Think back to the original shotgun zones ... 0-5yds A zone & because of essentially a single projectile aim it like a rifle, 5-20yds +/- B zone & this is where one sees the benefit og 00Buck, 20yds+ C Zone & because of pattern spread you'll likely need to transition to a slug.

A lot of that was predicated *I think* on the square range and full frontal targets. The advent of Federal's H132 & then LE132 reduced recoil 00Buck extended the B zone distance (my original Vang gun has a really decent pattern pretty far out). But turning, moving, angled targets could reduce & counter the extention ... depending on the backstop. Then, all of the other factors you hit on come into play. I can just as easily see a must have a slug shot at 6 yds as I can see a 00Buck shot at 30 yds - all depending on the background and the threat problem.

If one is going to work this stuff, learning ones pattern Is pretty important (not just one round at a given distance) followed by time actually practicing on distances and the angles.

Quote Originally Posted by Angus McFee View Post
    Think back to the original shotgun zones ... 0-5yds A zone & because of essentially a single projectile aim it like a rifle, 5-20yds +/- B zone & this is where one sees the benefit og 00Buck, 20yds+ C Zone & because of pattern spread you'll likely need to transition to a slug.

A lot of that was predicated *I think* on the square range and full frontal targets. The advent of Federal's H132 & then LE132 reduced recoil 00Buck extended the B zone distance (my original Vang gun has a really decent pattern pretty far out). But turning, moving, angled targets could reduce & counter the extention ... depending on the backstop. Then, all of the other factors you hit on come into play. I can just as easily see a must have a slug shot at 6 yds as I can see a 00Buck shot at 30 yds - all depending on the background and the threat problem.

If one is going to work this stuff, learning ones pattern Is pretty important (not just one round at a given distance) followed by time actually practicing on distances and the angles.
    This is why it seems a lot easier to stay loaded with slugs, and select shot if necessary, rather than loading with shot and selecting a slug.

User Tag List