Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's Talk Shotgun Training

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    I bought the 4 round cards also. Just didn't feel the need for more given my HD purposes. Can always add more velcro and get longer cards should I find a need, such as a class.
    I’m leaning this way, too. I made some templates from 3x5 cards this morning, and am concluding that more than 4 would get in the way. I’m left-handed, and have reversed the safety on my 1301T. Unfortunately, anything that comes back more than 4.5” from the front of the receiver would interfere with my index finger’s access to the safety. To bad, as I was also eyeing the Aridus quick-detach carrier - but the latch on the aft end would make safety access awkward, not to mention the aft 2-3 shells sticking down.

So I think I’ll try some -rd cards from Esstac. I also like the idea of less bulk when the cards are not attached.

I use this from Home Depot to tote shells to the line:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-5-...1N12/203791942

I usually give them to a friend at a class when I'm done. Great for carrying loose shotshells or revolver ammo and speedloaders.

And it's a whopping six dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackdog View Post
    Gadsden Dynamics make a shot shell chest rig that can also be worn as a bandoleer.

https://www.gadsdendynamics.com/prod...isan-chest-rig

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I saw you running that thing at the last HiTS shotgun class, it worked really well.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    I saw you running that thing at the last HiTS shotgun class, it worked really well.
    I was running the version for AR mags and putting my Q-DCs in it. Ran great for that purpose!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't listen/watch much P&S these days, but this was a good recent episode strictly about shotguns. It's over 3 hours and took me a few nights to get through it, but lots of good insight and opinions from Rob Haught and others.

A lot of high praise for the 1301 and Adam's products for it.

Last edited by StraitR; 12-14-2017 at 11:26 PM.

And now I see TC posted the video above.

I’ll put in a plug for Randy Cain: http://www.guntactics.com/shotgun.htm

Randy's emphasis in his intro course is keeping the gun loaded. When I took the course, it was centered around the 870, although there were a few SA’s in the class. What I found most valuable about this class was that, no matter the shooting problem being addressed, there was an expectation that the gun would be reloaded, up on the target, on the move, whatever. Not only were there drills centered on loading (multiple variations of Rolling Thunder) but students were expected to engage targets in the middle of reloading. As has been pointed out here, reloading is the most problematic of shotgun skills, and Randy teaches it well.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveB View Post
    I’ll put in a plug for Randy Cain: http://www.guntactics.com/shotgun.htm

Randy's emphasis in his intro course is keeping the gun loaded. When I took the course, it was centered around the 870, although there were a few SA’s in the class. What I found most valuable about this class was that, no matter the shooting problem being addressed, there was an expectation that the gun would be reloaded, up on the target, on the move, whatever. Not only were there drills centered on loading (multiple variations of Rolling Thunder) but students were expected to engage targets in the middle of reloading. As has been pointed out here, reloading is the most problematic of shotgun skills, and Randy teaches it well.

It seems every time that he does his shotgun class I have a date conflict.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Site Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Moving to live fire, we used birdshot and practiced loading and topping off the gun with the gun pointed at the target.
    Did we all stop reloading in the 'work space' while I was sleeping?

Fumbling around with the gun on target seems counterproductive to me.

User Tag List