Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's Talk Shotgun Training

I think it's much easier to just keep the gun mounted, fire control hand opens the bolt and keeps it open, support hand goes over the top and inserts slug into ejection port.

Not sure what Benelli you are running but the inertia guns, with their aluminium construction, are very light and even to me, a human twig, it's very easy to do this maneuver with the M2.

Perhaps the M4, with both its steel receiver and gas system, is too front-heavy for less built individuals to do this consistently?

I don't know why you're having to contort your joints; I honestly have no idea what the 'metro' technique is, but when you go over the top there isn't any twisting involved, it's a pretty natural motion.

I'll be watching this thread for more learning content. Becoming more proficient with a shotgun is on my long list of to-dos as I am pretty rifle limited up here in New England

The class that Dagga Boy brought up regarding "ban" states would definately be something I'd be interested in.
    Last edited by NPV; 04-02-2018 at 09:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jellydonut View Post
    I think it's much easier to just keep the gun mounted, fire control hand opens the bolt and keeps it open, support hand goes over the top and inserts slug into ejection port.

Not sure what Benelli you are running but the inertia guns, with their aluminium construction, are very light and even to me, a human twig, it's very easy to do this maneuver with the M2.

Perhaps the M4, with both its steel receiver and gas system, is too front-heavy for less built individuals to do this consistently?

I don't know why you're having to contort your joints; I honestly have no idea what the 'metro' technique is, but when you go over the top there isn't any twisting involved, it's a pretty natural motion.
    Metro load was discussed a few pages back, which is where I discovered it for the first time. I'll quote a post with video below.

The weight doesn't bother when mounted, but I want to stick with the metro load technique only which uses under the receiver, not over. I have a T-2 mounted on my Benelli which makes going over the receiver much more cumbersome.

Quote Originally Posted by 167 View Post
    Metro load @ 3:35?

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    If dismounting the gun leads to you being more efficient and more repeatable...stick with that.

Speed is nice.

Not having to remount the shotgun is nice.

...but neither of those is more important than actually accomplishing the goal.

A mounted shotgun that's empty longer because you can't reliably reload it or perform a slug select drill in a timely manner isn't really an advantage anymore.
    Last edited by TCinVA; 04-03-2018 at 07:43 AM.
    3/15/2016

Thanks TC. That's the line of logic I was following, but wasn't sure if I was missing something.

Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    So, I've still been carving out semi-regular time for dry work with the shotgun. The "metro load" was my saving grace, but I've run across a difficulty and wanted to get the opinions of others. For those with Benelli's, do you keep the shotgun mounted or not when you do a "select slug" changeover (or changing from any to any)? I want to stay solely with the one way to load (metro) for the sake of repetition, but I have difficulty pronating my wrist/elbow enough to get the new shell in the port when I leave the gun mounted. I'm much faster if I dismount the gun, drop it down between my elbow and lats (muzzle elevated) to insert the new shell via metro, then mount the gun again. When I started practicing this a few months ago, strength was an issue when doing it mounted, but it's not now, it's just a matter of getting my wrist/elbow twisted enough to get the shell in the port.

Does it matter? Mounted or dismounted? What do you do? I'm unfamiliar with the operation of other semi's, but if they work similarly, please feel free to chime in.
    Sorry I missed this earlier. This is fairly simple. You either have to load, need to load or want to load. Have to load is an empty gun and you have chosen not to transition to a pistol for whatever reason. In that case, doesn’t matter where the gun is just get it loaded as efficiently as possible. This is where some of the belly up loads can come in, or straight to the chamber and then manipulate the gun where it needs to be. If it is empty...holding it mounted is useless. Need to load...you have round at least chambered but really need to top off or get transitioned to a slug or different ammo. In this case, some type of Dow range orientation is likely best. Under the armpit is fine as you are likely preparing to re-engage a fight or enter a fight. Want to load.....likely mounted as you are covering a downed individual and simply want to get back to a topped off state in case more fight is needed or comes. The gauge is very much a thinking persons gun because there is a lot going on, and multiple means to perform various tasks. Try to best fit your training to your daily reality. Ask yourself where you are most likely going to be loading and why. My answers have changed many times over the years due to different jobs or uses for the shotgun.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    Sorry I missed this earlier. This is fairly simple. You either have to load, need to load or want to load. Have to load is an empty gun and you have chosen not to transition to a pistol for whatever reason. In that case, doesn’t matter where the gun is just get it loaded as efficiently as possible. This is where some of the belly up loads can come in, or straight to the chamber and then manipulate the gun where it needs to be. If it is empty...holding it mounted is useless. Need to load...you have round at least chambered but really need to top off or get transitioned to a slug or different ammo. In this case, some type of Dow range orientation is likely best. Under the armpit is fine as you are likely preparing to re-engage a fight or enter a fight. Want to load.....likely mounted as you are covering a downed individual and simply want to get back to a topped off state in case more fight is needed or comes. The gauge is very much a thinking persons gun because there is a lot going on, and multiple means to perform various tasks. Try to best fit your training to your daily reality. Ask yourself where you are most likely going to be loading and why. My answers have changed many times over the years due to different jobs or uses for the shotgun.
    Really good info right there

DB, great stuff !

Can someone explain the process for a slug changeover on a Beretta 1301?

Anybody else think that this thread ought to be a stickie?

User Tag List