Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 LastLast

Thread: Let's Talk Shotgun Training

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    Tangentially related: Mr. Gunsngear just released a video where he ranks the shotgun the worst of four home defense options, vs. pistol, PCC, and rifle

https://youtu.be/qL1s3twUA4o
    I'll watch it tomorrow but I'll LoL right now.

If I'd never seen how effective 00 was up close and personal I might rank the shotgun last too. After seeing how much better it is than even 556 the inexperienced YouTubers just make me shake my head.

Quote Originally Posted by 167 View Post
    Metro load @ 3:35?

How would you do this as a lefty?

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    I'll watch it tomorrow but I'll LoL right now.

If I'd never seen how effective 00 was up close and personal I might rank the shotgun last too. After seeing how much better it is than even 556 the inexperienced YouTubers just make me shake my head.
    Something about: 8 (00B) to 15 (1B) in a 3 inch circle at 7 yards seems definitive as a CQB stopper !

The shotgun is a fight stopper and it's versatility lends it to many self defense scenarios. You can load it up or down to suit your conditions. I can go to the local box store and buy a Maverick 88 sub $200 and use it for HD, raids or bear defense in Kodiak.

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    @TCinVA just wanted to say I’m currently listening to the P&S Modcast “Gauge” episode and am really enjoying your input!
    Is that available on Spotify?? i can't seem to find it anywhere, but I've been hit on the head a LOT and been around some big, close explosions...

Quote Originally Posted by blake_g View Post
    Is that available on Spotify?? i can't seem to find it anywhere, but I've been hit on the head a LOT and been around some big, close explosions...
    I believe the episode we're talking about is #126, published in December of 2017.

It is 3 hours long:

Here is a link to the video version on YouTube.

Here is a link to the audio version on stitcher.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by DanJ View Post
    Given the sort of oops seen at both 1:24 & 1:28 and more as well as how some (+ me) have a hard time cycling the action only half-way, I have a strong preference for doing damn near all my loading through the loading port – as a left-hander.

With the side saddle set-up as Chris has it (h/t Bill Jeans) and the stock in my armpit (h/t Louis & Scotty) … my L/H variation is:
    - Support hand goes over the top of the receiver;
    - Tip of the middle finger pushes up on the crimp/slug face starting it up & out of the side saddle;
    - Ring finger hooks the brass, and I pull the shell out of the carrier & into my support hand with brass by the pinkie;
    - Moving my right hand to the front of the trigger guard, the shell is pushed forward towards the loading port;
    - Once the shell is in the port, I open my hand. If I start to lose control of the shell I simply close my hand (h/t Bill again);
    - Then I rotate my hand so the fingers are toward the muzzle and my thumb can push the shell past the stops & into the magazine.

I won’t argue that only cycling the action halfway & loading through the ejection port from a match saver might well be faster. If I’m losing bandwidth at an above-average rate, I prefer a surer, more controlled for me method.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    I believe the episode we're talking about is #126, published in December of 2017.

It is 3 hours long:

Here is a link to the video version on YouTube.

Here is a link to the audio version on stitcher.
    Thanks!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DanJ View Post
    Perhaps it is because I am mostly-lefty, with long guns, I have not really liked side-saddle ammo carriers, since experimenting with them, a thousand years ago, er, well, in the Eighties. At work, which was night shift police patrol, until I retired, I kept spare shotgun ammo on my duty belt, in one or two Safariland two-shell carriers, and two on my right epaulet, in a Mad Dog Kydex two-shell carrier. (Long-discontinued item.) Reaching over the weapon, for spare ammo, and then moving back around to the right side, to the loading port or mag tube, seemed so very inefficient.

Of course, it is so very nice, as a lefty, that the ejection port is so well-placed.

I have a chest rig, and a small Eagle Industries “Active Shooter” bandolier, with shotgun ammo, hanging in a strategic points, at home.

Really, however, the best “reload” for an empty shotgun, is a serious fightin’ pistol, or, even better, if it is staged nearby, a second shotgun. I am not kidding; I have two M2 Benellis. (I used to really like 870 pump guns, but my pumping hand and shoulder have not aged well, so I am an autoloading shotgun guy, from now on.)
    Last edited by Rex G; 08-18-2019 at 10:41 AM.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Quote Originally Posted by Erick Gelhaus View Post
    Given the sort of oops seen at both 1:24 & 1:28 and more as well as how some (+ me) have a hard time cycling the action only half-way, I have a strong preference for doing damn near all my loading through the loading port – as a left-hander.

With the side saddle set-up as Chris has it (h/t Bill Jeans) and the stock in my armpit (h/t Louis & Scotty) … my L/H variation is:
    - Support hand goes over the top of the receiver;
    - Tip of the middle finger pushes up on the crimp/slug face starting it up & out of the side saddle;
    - Ring finger hooks the brass, and I pull the shell out of the carrier & into my support hand with brass by the pinkie;
    - Moving my right hand to the front of the trigger guard, the shell is pushed forward towards the loading port;
    - Once the shell is in the port, I open my hand. If I start to lose control of the shell I simply close my hand (h/t Bill again);
    - Then I rotate my hand so the fingers are toward the muzzle and my thumb can push the shell past the stops & into the magazine.

I won’t argue that only cycling the action halfway & loading through the ejection port from a match saver might well be faster. If I’m losing bandwidth at an above-average rate, I prefer a surer, more controlled for me method.
    Thank you!

User Tag List