Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vang Comp barrels Real data?

Vang Comp barrels Real data?

I am curious about the Vang Comp barrel boring performance.

Without getting to far into the weeds...I look at choke as simply the difference between
    the bore diameter that precedes any restriction after.

That said, Vang Comp guns are? "back bored" or "Jug choked" to offer a tighter
    pattern. (Larger differential in ID of bore to muzzle = tighter choke.

We can debate the merits of less pellet deformation in back boring and forcing cone lengths, but lets not.

I would like to know of any first hand pattern testing (load, distance, pattern) and more importantly
    ANY reference to pressure testing with a barrel Vang Comped.

Thank you gents...this is a great reference forum!

PK
    Guns are just machines and without you they can do no harm, nor any good

Slightly different answer, but in the “old days” before Flite Control buck, the Vang treatment made a very big difference in pattern shape and size. With modern buck, I don’t think it adds much in buck pattern shape and size.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Slightly different answer, but in the “old days” before Flite Control buck, the Vang treatment made a very big difference in pattern shape and size. With modern buck, I don’t think it adds much in buck pattern shape and size.
    You know stuff! My web research agrees.

I am digging around for pressure testing data.

Thanks man!!!

I can’t speak to the pressure testing aspect, but if you look at my blog under the “shotgun” heading, I have a number of blog posts detailing pattern testing with a Winchester Defender with a Vang Barrel and an 870P SBS with the Vang treatment. Spoiler alert, the fixed modified choke on the 870P barrel doesn’t play well with Flitecontrol, so I typically get better patterns with the Hornady Versatite loadings or standard buckshot.

www.civiliangunfighter.com

Quote Originally Posted by LJP View Post
    I can’t speak to the pressure testing aspect, but if you look at my blog under the “shotgun” heading, I have a number of blog posts detailing pattern testing with a Winchester Defender with a Vang Barrel and an 870P SBS with the Vang treatment. Spoiler alert, the fixed modified choke on the 870P barrel doesn’t play well with Flitecontrol, so I typically get better patterns with the Hornady Versatite loadings or standard buckshot.

www.civiliangunfighter.com
    Sorry mister, my search came up empty. Shotgun, search. Vang Comp, LJP. 13 results.

Might I trouble you for a link?

I've posted photos with the differences in barrel & shell performance in different threads over the years. Off the top of my head I can't recall which ones.

Essentially, the Vang process significantly lengthens the forcing cone. IIRC, it makes for a much more shallow angle preventing the pellets from being slammed, deformed as much.

I don't know of any pressure testing off the top of my head.

IWBA Vol 3, No 2 from 1997 has a decent length article on the modification. It was authored by a Gus Cotey Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Erick Gelhaus View Post
    I've posted photos with the differences in barrel & shell performance in different threads over the years. Off the top of my head I can't recall which ones.

Essentially, the Vang process significantly lengthens the forcing cone. IIRC, it makes for a much more shallow angle preventing the pellets from being slammed, deformed as much.

I don't know of any pressure testing off the top of my head.

IWBA Vol 3, No 2 from 1997 has a decent length article on the modification. It was authored by a Gus Cotey Jr.
    Thank you gents!

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    My experience is similar. If you have to shoot generic buckshot, get a Vang. If you have sufficient Federal Flight Control or the Hornady equivalent, probably not necessary. Now, since you may only be able to source generic stuff for the foreseeable future, Vang might be the way to go.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

I have no ponies in this parade. But, most any gunsmith can lengthen a forcing cone. Unless you are wanting porting, I'd look locally.

User Tag List