Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's Talk Shotgun Training

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    Based on all my reading, the Esstac cards are also recommended by many. I bought a couple, and they seem very well made, like the other Esstac gear I've had in the past.

https://www.skdtac.com/searchresults...c+shotgun+card
    I like the idea of the cards. In practice I’ve had shells pop out of them both in training and in a house with a fugitive barricaded in the bathroom. I’ve tried the Esstacs and the ones Raven used to offer.

I’m trying the shorter 4 round versions now. I like the shorter version better in terms of feel and handling when it’s on the gun.
    Last edited by HCM; 12-13-2017 at 10:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    I like the idea of the cards. In practice I’ve had shells pop out of them both in training and in a house with a fugitive barricaded in the bathroom. I’ve tried the Esstacs and the ones Raven used to offer.

I’m trying the shorter 4 round versions now. I like the shorter version better in terms of feel and handling when it’s on the gun.

I bought the 4 round cards also. Just didn't feel the need for more given my HD purposes. Can always add more velcro and get longer cards should I find a need, such as a class.

Site Supporter
    Gadsden Dynamics make a shot shell chest rig that can also be worn as a bandoleer.

https://www.gadsdendynamics.com/prod...isan-chest-rig

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    I kindof was thinking of a bandoleer. I know it has all sorts of "Rambo" connotations, but is there a functional "issue" with the concept?
    I've used a belt, both as a belt and a bandoleer, in shotgun classes, with good results. Also easy to keep near the gun at home.

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    I kindof was thinking of a bandoleer. I know it has all sorts of "Rambo" connotations, but is there a functional "issue" with the concept?
    Well the bandoleer is a compromise - easy and fast to put on means it's not strapped on to you as well as a load bearing vest or similar.

If you move about vigorously enough it can be annoying - moving through narrow openings it can snag on things, the bandoleer can move about so the portion with shells on it can move on you (although in my experience the shells tend to always want to be on the lowest part, which is actually nice - I always know where to find them), the only thing keeping it on you is gravity so doing things like going to prone and back up repeatedly, low crawling, the bandoleer wants to come off. But I'm of the opinion if you are going to do things like that you will need a proper chest rig or something similar to hold your ammunition. And I think typically shotgun toting tends to be a bit less intensely dynamic for people?

Sent from my Infernal Contraption using Tapatalk
    IDPA SSP classification: Sharpshooter
    F.A.S.T. classification: Intermediate

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    There's nothing wrong with putting a sling on your gun and securely affixing a means of carrying shells to it. It's not as suitable for a speed-reload as a side saddle or butt cuff, but if the concern is having more ammunition with the gun then putting some shells on the sling allows carrying more ammo on the gun without worrying about putting on a belt of shells.
    3/15/2016

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    There's nothing wrong with putting a sling on your gun and securely affixing a means of carrying shells to it. It's not as suitable for a speed-reload as a side saddle or butt cuff, but if the concern is having more ammunition with the gun then putting some shells on the sling allows carrying more ammo on the gun without worrying about putting on a belt of shells.
    Those then to swing back and forth and make shooting much harder. Not to me tion trying to load a shotgun from a swinging sling is even less fun under fire than just loading a shotgun one round at a time.

I'd rather a sidesaddle, then a buttcuff if we're limited to on gun ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post

I have black and coyote esstac cards the coyote ones have a strip of synthetic suede seen in that makes them much more secure. The ones without loose sheels way to easy

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Those then to swing back and forth and make shooting much harder. Not to me tion trying to load a shotgun from a swinging sling is even less fun under fire than just loading a shotgun one round at a time.

I'd rather a sidesaddle, then a buttcuff if we're limited to on gun ammo.
    Agreed. Those slings with the rounds on them are terrible to work from and to shoot with, which is heavily magnified combined with any sort of activity or movement.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

I used this at Rob Haught's course as my larger ammo carrier.

https://www.lapolicegear.com/redrock...sling-bag.html

During class, I left it right behind the line and I could make a quick grab to load up my side saddle or butt cuff (depending which 500 I was using at the time) and some in my pockets. It was useful that way, and it could easily be slung over the shoulder with quick access to a ton of ammo. The main compartment holds a bit more than 60 rounds loose. Or you you stack two 25 round boxes with the top flaps torn off if you wanted a more organized carry. The front zippered pocket holds about 5 rounds (this is where I put slugs), and the side zippered one holds a bit more (8-9). There is also an open pocket on the back/side where I threw in a TQ and a pressure bandage. Not a bad rig for under $30.
    For info about training or to contact me:
    Immediate Action Combatives

User Tag List