Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's Talk Shotgun Training

Let's Talk Shotgun Training

Hopefully, this can serve as a central thread to discuss any and all shotgun training and related subjects. Feel free to add anything you feel would be beneficial for others to know.

Personally, I'm looking to take a pistol and shotgun class in 2018, now that my schedule allows for such things. I've not done any shotgunning work other than quals in the Navy (mid-late 90's), which was aim at the big blue target off the flight deck and pull the trigger. As such, I'm starting from experiential scratch. My mission and purpose is learning to use the shotgun as a primary HD long arm while traveling with my family.

A few things off the top of my head that I'm curious about, which can serve as a primer for the thread...

Formal training -

What courses have you taken, and how has it benefited your shotgunning?

Who's your shotgun instructor or class bucket list?

Got any classes upcoming?

Personal training -

Are there any quintessential shotgun drills?

Other drill suggestions? Reps?

Suggestions for training at home?

Hardware -

What inert/dummy/training ammo has worked for you?

Again, feel free to share any shotgun training related experience, suggestions, worthy reads/links, or stories. My shotgunning glass is empty, and I'd like to fill it up.

Site Supporter
    Ok, I’m in... and subscribed.

Much like StraitR, I’ve got no formal training, but would like to get some in the coming year.

I was seduced by the Beretta 1301 thread about 18 months ago, and picked up a 1301T early this year. Been shooting it a little, and slowly making it my own... most recently put a red dot on it.

Ideally, I’d like to take a HiTS class with DB. I’m hoping to find out about a shotgun class that he’s offering with enough lead time to make sure I can attend.

For dummy rounds, I’ve liked these
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Although admittedly haven’t used them for more than a few sessions of loading, cycling, unloading, topping off, etc.

I’ll be tuned in for the posts of others more knowledgeable than me.

Thanks. I have the same training ammo, bought from Amazon, but have yet to use it.

DB/Wayne and Tom are my current bucket list for classes next year. Which class will more likely be determined by my location relative to class offerings next year. We'll be traveling out west (hence the shotgun), but won't know exactly where for a couple more months.

I really want to take a class with Rob Haught.

I would have taken this class, but it was not even close to me.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....Casa-Grande-AZ
    Last edited by DamonL; 12-10-2017 at 01:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    Thanks. I have the same training ammo, bought from Amazon, but have yet to use it.

DB/Wayne and Tom are my current bucket list for classes next year. Which class will more likely be determined by my location relative to class offerings next year. We'll be traveling out west (hence the shotgun), but won't know exactly where for a couple more months.
    Givens will be in Okeechobee in May for a one day class.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Formal training -
    Basic police academy - like any other firearms training, meh;
    Early 90s - one day shotgun class from LASD/SEB hgh round count but zero emphasis on mounting the gun correctly. NRA L/E instructor course - only a bit better;
    '95 - Gunsite 5 day shotgun and L/E shotgun instructor classes, how to correctly set the gun up, mount it, and manipulate it. Getting a shorter stock and learning where to put it & how was huge for my willingness to keep working with the gun. Over time it had a big impact on what my office did with shotguns;
    '97 - Awerbuck's 3 day shotgun class, the thinking and moving and projectile selection parts of the problem;
    What courses have you taken, and how has it benefited your shotgunning?
    00s - Reitz' shotgun class - consistency, two more Bill Jeans / Morrigan shotgun classes;
    00s & now teaching the gun (working for or with Awerbuck and later Cain as well) - how to communicate all of the above within a system;
    Bucket list? I'd be interested in getting Cain's perspective as a student rather than teaching with him, Fisher's take just because, Wayne & Darryl's course because who wouldn't?
    Aside from work, I seem to get one, maybe two shotgun classes a year to teach;

Personal training -
    I've been able to shoot a wee bit more skeet & sporting clays, though not with work guns, and both are real good for keeping the gun running & engaging moving targets;

Are there any quintessential shotgun drills?
    Dozier drill from "patrol ready" - empty chamber & 4 rds in the magazine. Requires chambering, multiple targets, follow-through, speed reload (plus use of action release & safety based on how you carry);
    Near to far transitions via select-slug. While I have not found an incident of it being used to completion, it has value on being able to manipulate the gun;
    Awerbuck's moving manequin targets with a ball cap on the bad guy;
    The bastardized rolling thunder variant where the shooter is firing different numbers than the one before him - thinking, mounting, manpulating;

Other drill suggestions? Reps?
    Patterning, speed work on steel with accountability, working with ones patterns at realistic distances;

Suggestions for training at home?
    Dry practice of mounting & manipulations.

Hardware -
    Brownell's action proving dummies have been the best, most reliable, longest lasting. Next atre the ST Action Pro, very distantly followed by the really cheap all-plastic orange ones.
    Last edited by Erick Gelhaus; 12-10-2017 at 02:34 PM. Reason: typos

I took Tom’s afternoon block of instruction at this year’s Tac Con, will be taking his one day shotgun class next year in VA, and hope to get in DB’s blocks of instruction at next year’s Tac Con. My tax stamp for my SBS should be in any day now (870P). I intend for it to be my go to for home defense purposes (currently a Winchester 1300 Defender with a Vang Comp barrel fills that roll).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@Angus McFee Thank you, that was excellent information, and I'll be looking up those drills.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Givens will be in Okeechobee in May for a one day class.
    I saw that, but unfortunately, the chances of us being near FL next May are slim. We plan on spending most of our time, if not all of it, from Texas to the west coast.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    I took Suarez HITS Shotgun, a one day class. Instructor was Steve Collins, who is a terrific instructor and I think no longer teaching under Suarez, but he’s in MO so I think FL is out of his area.

It’s a shotgun. You can make your target scenarios as creative as you want, but mostly it’s just controlling the weapon from shot to shot, clearing stoppages, and keeping it fed. Also run a sling and practice transitioning to your sidearm. 3-gun drills for the real world. Shotguns aren’t complicated machines and the range is limited (compared to a rifle), there’s not a whole lot of tricks to it. Stick with fundamentals and work on speed and accuracy.

You could practice loading slugs on the fly but...I never do. Maybe I should.

Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    Hopefully, this can serve as a central thread to discuss any and all shotgun training and related subjects. Feel free to add anything you feel would be beneficial for others to know.
    I asked a SF CIF team leader about shotgun use in his team. This team was highly active and went out on hundreds of hits. His response regarding shotgun use and I'm paraphrasing. "We don't allow it. The shotgun is the king of the battlefield while it has ammo. However I require my guys to stay in the fight longer."

User Tag List