Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A different lube adventure

A different lube adventure

My wood stoves squeak a lot. As a gun geek, that annoys me. Conventional lubes are out due to the inevitable cook off and chemical smell. Seems like a textbook case for froglube, but I’m not buyin that shit again. I don’t think anything will last more than a couple weeks due to the extreme and constant heat, but I’m always on the lookout.

So far, Bohning bowstring wax works best (yes, I have a compound bow thanks to a good friend on here), but it’s very hard to apply.

I’m currently using the Dillon case lube clone which is simply 99% isopropyl alcohol and lanolin dissolved together in about 1:8 ratio of lanolin to alcohol. You simply warm up the lanolin bottle in a pan of hot water and pour it into your spray bottle of alcohol and shake it up. This stuff is lasting about a week.

Also, the Dillon case lube clone might be the finest gun surface protectant I’ve ever seen. Mist on, wipe it around, it keeps stuff from rusting phenomenally well. Of course, it makes a fine case lube as well
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    #RESIST

Try nickel based Never Seize. It's made for high temp applications like exhaust bolts.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    Try nickel based Never Seize. It's made for high temp applications like exhaust bolts.
    I have some for suppressor mounts, but one experience with a gun lube on the stove made the house reek. I fear the same for this stuff.
    #RESIST

I applied nickel Never Seize to my suppressor threads but never noticed any smell. Now I'm curious. Have you?
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    I applied nickel Never Seize to my suppressor threads but never noticed any smell. Now I'm curious. Have you?
    No, but fumes inside your house are very different than in a ventilated indoor range or just shooting outside.
    #RESIST

Sounds like a job for Sperm oil. Which isn’t going to happen. Following.

Don't tease with a thread title that juicy
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

I’ll prolly try straight lanolin next.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    No, but fumes inside your house are very different than in a ventilated indoor range or just shooting outside.
    Believe me, I get it. That's why I asked if you've ever gotten a whiff instead of just saying "I never smelled a thing, it should be ok!"

Have you tried powderized graphite?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

User Tag List