Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: VDevelopment Group City Special Exclusive Review

VDevelopment Group City Special Exclusive Review

So, I saw a post here in the supporting business section about VDevolpment group doing a special exclusive on some holsters. When I saw this one:
    https://vdevgru.com/products/the-cit...volver-holster

I got excited. I have always wanted to try one of these as they seemed kind of cool for the revolver aficionado. The True Hide was a nice touch and I ordered one off the website. I got it in a couple days. Immediately upon opening I was impressed. As soon as I saw it I changed my mind as what gun it would be for. I have a sort of rare S&W 649-3 that is my dream retired old guy gun. I love Bodyguards, the gun has an incredible action, an X/S sights and special Craig Spegel Cocobolo boot grips made for the Bodyguards humpback frame. It has the 2.25" barrel, so many holsters are a bit short for it. My girlfriend claimed the holster I usually use for it when she started carrying a similar 640-1. The 649 is a really classy gun and just doesn't look right in kydex. It looks great in the PHLster with the exclusive Trie Hide. I had to trim the top of the holster around the Spegel grips with a dremel, but not many folks will have the Spegel Bodyguard cut grips. Most other stuff should fit.
    More importantly it is super functional for exactly what I need. Because it is an all steel gun it is just a bit too much for basketball shorts or sweats carry. For those I use super lightweight guns and the DSG kydex AIWB rig with their great clips. For the 649, a tuckable strut and single loop supports the guns weight easily. In front AIWB it is secure, super fast, very comfortable and can be discretely worn with a tucked in shirt. A huge benefit I found is the long tube for the cylinder to allow for one handed reloading. I doubt I will need to ever use that feature...which is neat for a primary carry J frame lifestyle gun, but it's true benefit is very positive bolstering, which is often a sacrifice with super minimalist holsters. If you had to deploy the gun and then holster under stress, it would be easy with the giant hole, especially with a small J frame.
    While I see this easily being a great rig for the airweight guns (which I use almost exclusively in pockets, and ankle carry as back ups normally), this thing really stands out for those who prefer shooting and using the steel frame snubs. This thing is a total winner.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Dagga Boy; 12-10-2017 at 12:04 PM.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

The one hand reload option is very impressive!

That looks amazing. I really should get one of those revolver things.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    It ll change your life.....
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.

Hey DB,

The bottom of the holster/sight track in your pics looks like it’s open/untapered/uncrimped, yes? I’m on the lookout for some AIWB kydex that could be pressed into service with my old 36-1 3". What do you think? Open, with enough length to cover some of the extra tube and the start of the baughman ramp?

The protos in the vid look crimped—obviously a no-go on the 36-1. Speaking of steel carry guns that have stood the test of time. This holster would go great with the old 1980 caliber press "street survival" book; almost the only book I’ve seen to deal with one-hand wheelie reloading in print.

TIA.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post

I definitely want to grab another snubby and keep it this time.

I'm envisioning a version for a spurless SP-101.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    Hey DB,

The bottom of the holster/sight track in your pics looks like it’s open/untapered/uncrimped, yes? I’m on the lookout for some AIWB kydex that could be pressed into service with my old 36-1 3". What do you think? Open, with enough length to cover some of the extra tube and the start of the baughman ramp?

The protos in the vid look crimped—obviously a no-go on the 36-1. Speaking of steel carry guns that have stood the test of time. This holster would go great with the old 1980 caliber press "street survival" book; almost the only book I’ve seen to deal with one-hand wheelie reloading in print.

TIA.
    I ll double check when I get home but I think it could work with a 3” sticking out the bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    It ll change your life.....
    I know, I know. I might be getting one of the ones our much missed friend and mentor owned.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    I ll double check when I get home but I think it could work with a 3” sticking out the bottom.
    Thanks a million! At your complete and total leisure, boss.

User Tag List