Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Thumb Safety comparison

I'm not a huge fan of the 320 but the safety is much more comfortable than the m&ps.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    I'm not a huge fan of the 320 but the safety is much more comfortable than the m&ps.
    Do you have any issues contacting the slide stop when riding it?

After spending the past year+ learning the 1911 I’m wondering if I’d have issues accidentally depressing the slide stop when shooting. I have a P226 Elite SAO that constantly fails to lock back unless I make a concerted effort to extend my thumb into the air.

...not that I plan on buying a 320 in the immediate future but it’s been something I’ve wondered about.

Quote Originally Posted by S Jenks View Post
    Do you have any issues contacting the slide stop when riding it?

After spending the past year+ learning the 1911 I’m wondering if I’d have issues accidentally depressing the slide stop when shooting. I have a P226 Elite SAO that constantly fails to lock back unless I make a concerted effort to extend my thumb into the air.

...not that I plan on buying a 320 in the immediate future but it’s been something I’ve wondered about.
    I just shot a few rounds out of it while I was RSOing. Not enough to form any opinions on it beyond it's comfort.

Quote Originally Posted by S Jenks View Post
    If this is specific to the 320, I apologize.

Regarding riding the safety, I was taught to an have taught it that way. Thumb goes atop the safety when establishing the grip, beginning & throughout the draw/presentation. At the point you decide to take the pistol off-safe (with a frame mounted safety) depress it, push it down, and shoot while keeping the thumb on top of the safety. Keeping it on top of the safety prevents you from inadvertently bumping the safety back up snd into the On position whien shooting. To put the safety back on, you move the thumb off the safety, apply upward pressure with it on the underside of the safety until it is back on.

This has worked with 1911s and M&Ps. Where it was an issue for me was with a USP (forgot about that) that set up for On Safe / Off Safe / Decock. With that, riding the thumb safety could result in decocking the pistol unintentionally.

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    There are a number of aftermarket solutions for Glocks that @Tom_Jones could probably walk you through.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Site Supporter
    There is also this option that @DocGKR has mentioned.

http://www.dlsports.com/manual-safety-for-glocks.html

I'm actually interested in this and I may send my 26 off to have it modified to see how I like it.
    Last edited by TheNewbie; 12-10-2017 at 06:14 PM.

The one I discussed from DL Sports is a Cominolli safety variant.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Since you allowed for the possibility of hammer fired, you might check to see if there are any dealers around you with a Grand Power P11 on hand for you to play with.

I think the ambi safety is in a good spot and has a nice "click" to it. On newer models (manufactured in the last couple years) the safeties are also decockers. The frame-mounted safety can be engaged "up" for cocked-and-locked carry, 1911 style. With the safety left inline with the barrel ("off"), you have traditional double/single. Thumb the lever down to decock. If you leave the lever in the down position, then you have double-action-only. (The lever doesn't automatically return up from decock to the "off" position, but you can still fire when it is in the down position, in double action.)

I usually wear an XL glove, and guys with bigger hands than me have thought it feels good. Your mileage may vary.

As I noted in another thread, the M&P has one of the few frame mounted safeties that work as well and allow me to ride the safety as easily as on a 1911...
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    The one I discussed from DL Sports is a Cominolli safety variant.
    Is what I posted different? I though it was the same but I may be wrong.

User Tag List