Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Major DeltaPont Pro problem

Quote Originally Posted by LOKNLOD View Post
    Maybe the Duracell’s are lasting longer because the dot is spending more time sleeping...
    You win the internetz today!
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    It seems to be surprisingly hard to develop and manufacture a robust pistol mounted RDS. So far, Trijicon seems to be the only one?
    I've not had any problems with Aimpoint Micro, and I doubt anyone has.

Except that I can't conceal the damn thing, and I doubt anyone has.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    I've not had any problems with Aimpoint Micro, and I doubt anyone has.

Except that I can't conceal the damn thing, and I doubt anyone has.
    The intensity /brightness adjustment knob on the Aimpoint micros gets knocked loose on pistol mounted micros and stops holding adjustment.

Never seen it on a long gun mounted micro.

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    I remember the same type of discussion pre-internet when we were putting dots on USPSA Open pistols. "Racing improves the breed" and over time the red dots became reliable enough that many people on this forum have some version on their AR on duty. The slide mounted mini red dots will improve to meet the demand.
    Maybe. I was sick this week and it appears very difficult to make a digital thermometer for home use that is small, inexpensive, and actually tells your temperature.

I think it's going to be hard to put something on the slide and have it function perfectly long term. What we need is an ALG rail mount made of unbotanium with a ultra reliable micro red dot that you can drop out a second story window without changing zero, allows you to use irons, batteries that last for years, and JMCK to make comfortable concealable holsters for them. Should be easy.
    Last edited by Hambo; 12-12-2017 at 08:23 AM.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    I remember the same type of discussion pre-internet when we were putting dots on USPSA Open pistols. "Racing improves the breed" and over time the red dots became reliable enough that many people on this forum have some version on their AR on duty. The slide mounted mini red dots will improve to meet the demand.
    The problem of course is the optic being mounted on a reciprocating slide (vs. the frame for an open gun or the upper of a long gun).

I haven't seen any RDS sights that are ready for serious duty use mounted to a slide (including the micros for the reason described above), but if I was going to attempt to carry one in that role, I would have a dedicated duty/carry gun that only got shot a few times a year and have 1-2 dedicated training guns to do all of my dry fire and live fire practice.
    Last edited by Gio; 12-13-2017 at 02:31 PM.

Last week I flew half way around the world to have the lens fall out of a Docter optic sight half way though a major match. I was glad to have a spare but it was further proof that the list of dots ready for serious use is very short.

My move to a MRDS on a carry gun has been delayed.
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    Last week I flew half way around the world to have the lens fall out of a Docter optic sight half way though a major match. I was glad to have a spare but it was further proof that the list of dots ready for serious use is very short.

My move to a MRDS on a carry gun has been delayed.
    Right now, my experience suggests the reason to carry a red dot EDC handgun is your vision impairs your use of iron sights so much, that the reliability/functionality issues associated with all the current dots still make it a reasonable trade off.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Right now, my experience suggests the reason to carry a red dot EDC handgun is your vision impairs your use of iron sights so much, that the reliability/functionality issues associated with all the current dots still make it a reasonable trade off.
    On that note some of the positions this match placed me in , showed me weaknesses in my red dot interface, that I haven't seen in more straight up matches and definitely not in running drills. One thing shooting it properly set up. Completely another when I'm bending around a barricade on one foot.
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    On that note some of the positions this match placed me in , showed me weaknesses in my red dot interface, that I haven't seen in more straight up matches and definitely not in running drills. One thing shooting it properly set up. Completely another when I'm bending around a barricade on one foot.
    Our USPSA and club matches are very dynamic with a lot of awkward shooting positions designed into the stages.
    I've seen guys who can smoke a Classifier or steel challenge stage with a Carry Optics pistol get slowed way down as they get further and further away from "stand and deliver" shooting.
    Thing is, how far away from "stand and deliver" is the typical defensive gun use? Probably not very far.
    Fact is the typical defensive gun use problem could probably be solved by most high volume shooters using a index draw sans hard sight focus, and outside of index draw range the extra 1/2 second hunting the dot won't make any difference at all.
    I'm guessing a shooter like GJM could make consistent 20Y 8" plate hits by using a combination of index and looking through the MRDS window, no dot required.
    Last edited by JodyH; 12-15-2017 at 09:22 AM.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    GJM: respectfully, do you have any thoughts/opinions on visible lasers mounted on handguns fro shooters with vision issues?
    Thanks in advance

User Tag List