Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Major DeltaPont Pro problem

Major DeltaPont Pro problem

Over the last month or so, I have had three separate DP Pro optics exhibit what I believe is a serious problem that makes them unsuitable for EDC. Two units were mounted on different Q5 pistols, and the third on a G17 MOS. The problem is when turned on, and holstered during matches, the dot turns off and does not awaken when the pistol is presented from the holster. Even after drawing and shaking it, it does not wake up reliably. I am not sure the exact logic of the sleep mode, in terms of whether the dot should sleep when in the holster walking around, but certainly it should awaken when the pistol is drawn. Interestingly, I do not encounter this problem in my practice sessions, but the delay between drawing while practicing is typically a minute or two at most, compared to 20-40 minutes during a match.

As an aside, for some time, I have had battery life issues with the Pro, across the eight units I own, but this issue seems to have been resolved, or at least is much better, using Duracell batteries. Energizer and Sony batteries have provided poor life, measuring in the days or few weeks. While it has not been more than a few months, so far the Duracell batteries seem to be lasting longer.

What is odd is this going to sleep issue has just arisen this fall, and is happening across multiple units. It makes me wonder if the motion sensor has a limited life and is failing across many units manufactured around the same time. While a nuisance gaming, this is obviously a big problem for defensive use, and if my experience is not the exception, people should be warned not to use them on defensive firearms.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

We had a student in class that was having THAT EXACT PROBLEM. The DPP needs some major work on the civilian market.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glad the Army specified the Leupold footprint on the M17...
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

I called Leupold again, number 79 in the wait, and left a message. They called back just now, and the CS guy "knew nothing" about this particular problem, and had no suggestion other than to return the units to them.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

It seems to be surprisingly hard to develop and manufacture a robust pistol mounted RDS. So far, Trijicon seems to be the only one?
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Reminds me of the Glock rep having no idea about G22 problems.

Eta RMR FTMFW
    Last edited by Dave Williams; 12-11-2017 at 06:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    It seems to be surprisingly hard to develop and manufacture a robust pistol mounted RDS. So far, Trijicon seems to be the only one?
    The only one if you don't count the battery contact problem.

Maybe the Duracell’s are lasting longer because the dot is spending more time sleeping...
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Yep, and I’m still not sure I’d bet my life on one that is seeing decent practice.

Site Supporter
    I remember the same type of discussion pre-internet when we were putting dots on USPSA Open pistols. "Racing improves the breed" and over time the red dots became reliable enough that many people on this forum have some version on their AR on duty. The slide mounted mini red dots will improve to meet the demand.

User Tag List